Carrying At Work

This is a discussion on Carrying At Work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about starting to carry at work. The main reason is that i work at a Bank and you all know why i ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying At Work

Carrying At Work

I am thinking about starting to carry at work. The main reason is that i work at a Bank and you all know why i may want to carry. I dont want to ask management because i am sure they would say no and then be watching for me to carry. But basicly i was reading the handbook and this is what it says:
    "Possession of dangerous or unauthorized materials, such as explosives or firearms, are not allowed in the workplace."

Would that mean i am authorized if i have a CWL?

Anyways i just wanted to know some others thoughts. But to me concealed means concealed.

Adam

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I would say that it means no, you can't comply with their policy if you want to have the means to protect yourself. I have the same problem, but not in a bank. With the M&Pc, you should be able to conceal it pretty well. I personally use a Walther PPS and a SmartCarry.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I wouldn't try to argue that point...it's fairly apparent that they mean no weapons allowed.

That being said, as long as you've got your permit and you aren't 'made', you're not breaking any laws...just company policy.

-JT

I have experience in banking and the only person allowed to legally carry in the bank is a licensed security guard, as per most bank regulations. However, most branches are too small for a guard to be employed. In addition, as you know if you have worked at a bank long enough and have gone through robbery training the bank does not want you to be a hero. Don't get yourself or someone else shot over a small amount of money that is not yours. However, I can understand your reasoning wanting to have the gun in the event of a take over robbery and the robber starts shooting. Chances are, if you do carry they will never know however, if you get caught be prepared to loose your job.

Angry

It probably depends on how badly you need your job. As soon as you slip up and someone spots you carrying, you will more than likely loose your job.

I happen to work for the biggest employer in the country, the US Army and I am not allowed to carry on to the fort, let alone into the work place. I just take the risk, but there is nothing that prevents me from having other means of protection on my person and in my office.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

I also work for a bank, and I carry almost everywhere, but I don't carry there. The rules say no, and I would get fired. Since I don't work in a branch, I rate the chance of getting caught and fired as many times greater than that of being killed as a result of workplace violence. Given that I'm the sole breadwinner in my family, being blackballed from my industry would be catastrophic. So the long/short of it is how do you rate the remote chance of being killed versus the relatively high chance of being outed and fired, weighted by the severity of each respective consequence?
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

pocket pistol... nuff said.

VIP Member
    I think you already know the answer... if they catch you, you'll probably be fired!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam500 View Post
    "Possession of dangerous or unauthorized materials, such as explosives or firearms, are not allowed in the workplace."

Would that mean i am authorized if i have a CWL?

It seems fairly clear to me that they mean you must be authorized by the bank, not the State of Florida. Having some sort of letter from the bank manager or something in your employment contract would be the safe ways to go.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I would rather be caught and fired for carrying, than to be shot and killed at work for not carrying.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I carry at work using a holster from A Better Holster my .38 fits well along with a defensive blade. This holster is deep cover but, allows you to carry with out anyone knowing.

Stuff like this pisses me off. My company has a similiar policy, however, anyone can enter my workplace legally while carrying(not even a "no firearms" sign). So why should I be unarmed while any shmo off the street can carry?
    In the case of a bank I don't know about other states, but I've never heard of any banks being "gun free zones." It's your call though, but I'm assuming you wear suits everyday and suits do the job well for concealement
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Yeah i guess it wouldn't be the best idea to carry if i want to keep my job so i guess i will be asking and if told no i will just keep the firearm in my car or home. No the bank is not a gun free zone as we even had an older guy have his gun fall out in the lobby and they (managers) called the police. Basically they told them they couldn't do anything since there is no sign posted and it was clearly an accident. That was a while back and still no sign so i am assuming they really dont care if people are carrying so why should they if employees are?

Adam

It all depends on how much you value your job. Sure, you can find another job if you get fired just to have a paycheck, but good jobs are hard to come by these days. If you feel confident enough that you can easily find a comparable job if you do get fired, then go ahead.

Remember this though, when you're looking for another job they're going to want to know why you're currently not working, and most prospective employers will call previous employers if for nothing else but to check if you actually worked there. They may ask why you left. Hearing that you were fired because you carried a gun to work is not that good for your chances of landing a job.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

If you needed any additional reason to ignore company policy and rely on yourself for your protection. Take a quick look at the following story.

Police Hunt For Gunman After Pregnant Teller Shot - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

Snip.
    INDIANAPOLIS -- A bank teller was in critical condition and her unborn twins were not believed to be in immediate jeopardy Tuesday night, hours after the woman was shot during a robbery on Indianapolis' east side, police said.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links