JFK Airport, part 2

This is a discussion on JFK Airport, part 2 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; TSA=Thousands.....Standing....... Around If your TSA don't get mad I got that from a TSA employee....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JFK Airport, part 2

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    TSA=Thousands.....Standing....... Around

If your TSA don't get mad I got that from a TSA employee.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

That just totally blows. No wonder the airlines and the goverment have the lowest approval rating of all time. Too bad your Glock can't self detonate in some crook's hand.
    NRA Member

You're lucky when you landed at JFK you didn't get arrested for having a gun in your possession w/o a NY permit.

So, is the airline reimbursing you, or TSA? Or at least somebody? With the handling procedures that you describe it seems ridiculous that a firearm could come up missing.

Also, since it was stolen AT the airport, that means there was at least for a period of time, a Glock past all security checkpoints, in the possession of nobody knows who.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    a Glock past all security checkpoints, in the possession of nobody knows who.
    this is the scary part... how do they not know who all handled this luggage? there are only so many people who can get their hands on that between when you last saw it and when it came up missing... they aren't passengers. there are a few baggage guys that see it and that's it, i would think. i hope someone at the airline is in some people's asses about this. they make you jump through hoops and they can't even do their part.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    So, is the airline reimbursing you, or TSA? Or at least somebody? With the handling procedures that you describe it seems ridiculous that a firearm could come up missing.

Also, since it was stolen AT the airport, that means there was at least for a period of time, a Glock past all security checkpoints, in the possession of nobody knows who.
    I just realised after I read that,you are so right there was a major security breach and I hope the FBI finds who did it,but like others have said it's not the first time,remember when the duchess of york had thousands of dollars in jewelry get stolen out of her luggage,they found the thieves that did it but I guarantee you that was a special case
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Someone suggested it was the TSA guys who took the weapon. I doubt it. Just my biased opinion but I think the TSA folks are a big step up from the private employees who do this function.
    I fly a lot (about 25 trips last year). TSA does a lot. E.g. slow you down, search old ladiss, prevent babies from boarding (last thing can actually be a positive). The one thing they don't do is improve security. You can't take a nail clipper. But you can take about 5 pound of sharp steel if it looks like some artwork you just picked up as a souvenir. Last year, they missed a huge swiss army knife I forgot in my carry on about a dozen times until they found it. And as far as TSA and stealing goes, a quick google search returns:

"The TSA has settled 15,000 passenger claims filed over theft by screeners and has paid out $1.5 million in damages."
    TSA officer charged in kidnap attempt - Security - MSNBC.com
    "The agency admits that stealing is very prominent by certain screeners,.."
    7online.com: New York City and Tri-State News from WABC-TV 12/14/05

ABC News: TSA Under Fire for Rising Theft by Baggage Screeners

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I just realised after I read that,you are so right there was a major security breach and I hope the FBI finds who did it,but like others have said it's not the first time,remember when the duchess of york had thousands of dollars in jewelry get stolen out of her luggage,they found the thieves that did it but I guarantee you that was a special case
    yup. As far as we know, it may still be in the secure area. They regularly evacuate entire terminals for much less.

Totally believable. They make you jump through all those hoops and it still gets stolen and then they just shrug their shoulders like "oh well".

I had heard that you don't want to fly into and out of Phila. with firearms as they tend to not make it back into their owners hands. Maybe it's a statewide ring. My bet is on the baggage handlers.

Man, really sorry.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

oh boy that´s incredible, after all that paper work and hassle to bring your firearm. Something similar happen to a friend of mine in Miami airport.

"Someone suggested it was the TSA guys who took the weapon. I doubt it. Just my biased opinion but I think the TSA folks are a big step up from the private employees who do this function."

I agree. It is possible, of course, but it is far more likely that a private employee stole it. Look to the ramp rats.
    Last edited by Erik; May 30th, 2008 at 07:15 PM.
    God, country, family.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 Carry View Post
    You're lucky when you landed at JFK you didn't get arrested for having a gun in your possession w/o a NY permit.
    He was completely legal.

Here's his original thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...k-airport.html

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    It sounds like there is some crooked personnel at JFK....

Two Customs officers arrested at Kennedy Airport -- -- Newsday.com
    Two Customs officers arrested at Kennedy Airport

Federal agents arrested two Customs and Border Protection officers from Long Island and others yesterday and charged them with being part of a Kennedy Airport bribery and drug ring.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

River's Posting has the right idea!!

For those of you who are not familiar with how airports operate, for every opportunity that exists at check-in and security for theft there are many, perhaps hundreds and thousands, of less scrutinized opportunities past those points.

And the folks with access to your stuff at that point? Well, there's a surprisingly large list of folks who have the means and opportunity to do no good. And some of those folks are statistically a bit more likely than others to be invovled in theft and criminal conspiracies.
    God, country, family.

unbelieveable, i want to know what they plan to do to reimburse you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links