Why do you get non resident permits?

This is a discussion on Why do you get non resident permits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I noticed alot of people are getting non-resident permits from states hundreds if not thousands of miles away from where they live. Do you frequent ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you get non resident permits?

I noticed alot of people are getting non-resident permits from states hundreds if not thousands of miles away from where they live. Do you frequent these states often, If not why go through the trouble of getting one for that state?

Curiosity just got the best of me.

JD
    Administrator
    Other states' CCWs such as FL's will offer the holder more reciprocity with other states as more states have agreements with FL than most other states.

For example, if I were to get a FL permit (I've had the paperwork for over a year, I should really send it in) I would be able to carry in more states than with my VA permit alone.

Yep, reciprocity. Also, if the state you live in is 'may issue', getting a 'shall issue' permit from a state that has reciprocity may allow you to carry in your state without having to go through all of the hoopla. There are also cost considerations and timelines. Some people can get a non-resident permit months before or much cheaper than their own state would issue a resident permit.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Or if you live in a state like I do(Illinois), there isnt a permit to get. So, by getting the non-resident permits, at least I can carry when i travel

In Texas even if you have a non resident from utah or Florida,you still have to have a Texas CHL to carry here,Kansas also has that requirement and I think it's more along the lines of if you're gonna carry here we want the revenue from it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Texas even if you have a non resident from utah or Florida,you still have to have a Texas CHL to carry here,Kansas also has that requirement and I think it's more along the lines of if you're gonna carry here we want the revenue from it
    I believe you are mistaken. Texas honors non-res permits from Utah and Florida. Handgunlaw.us

You are correct that Kansas has that requirement, but Texas does not.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Other states' CCWs such as FL's will offer the holder more reciprocity with other states as more states have agreements with FL than most other states.
    +1

I have a NY permit, which is pretty much useless in other states. Getting a non-resident, allows me the priviledge of carrying legally in many other states. Hope that answers your question.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

My primary reason for getting a Utah permit is that Utah is recognized in WA state. WA state does not recognize AR..so when I travel to Spokane, I can at least go armed, leagally. ALl the other staes that recognize Utah, iceing on the cake.
    "Brains before Bullets"

VIP Member
    Yup, reciprocity for those of us who like to travel!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I want to be able o carry when I go back home to Richmond VA (as in next week!),and my Nevada permit isn't honored there. But also, I want to be able to carry anywhere that I travel, at least in states that allow CCW. By getting Utah and Florida, in addition to my Nevada permit, I have the best combination possible. I still may have to get an out of state permit should I travel to a state that doesn't honor one of the three, but there aren't too many. I can't carry in every state, but I want to get as close as possible.

I live in Ohio and have my home state permit. It covers many states, including FL. However, I am also in process of acquiring a FL permit. My reasons:
    1) My parent live in FL, and I want to show my dad (former military) how easy it is and encourage him to get one too.
    2) Florida has reciprocal coverage for a number of southern states (full row from Texas to Georgia) that I drive through and my ohio permit does not cover
    3) potential to be grandfathered in for these states should CCW laws change
    4) convenience of having 2 cards that both say, it's fine for me to be carrying this gun...will keep ohio in my wallet, may secure FL one in car or even within holster.

I have a SC permit that is not honored in GA. I made a copy of my SC permit, filled out the simple one page application and sent it to New Hampshire along with $20 and very shortly had full reciprocity with Georgia. I don't have any present plans to go to New Hampshire but do travel to GA quite often.

VIP Member
    So I can carry when I travel. I received a Utah permit, which I chose based on states I visit that the Utah permit is recognized in.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    +1

I have a NY permit, which is pretty much useless in other states. Getting a non-resident, allows me the priviledge of carrying legally in many other states. Hope that answers your question.
    I believe there are some states which recognize ALL other states, regardless of whether they reciprocate or not. MI and IN are two I am aware of.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Because I can and I do not trust the fickle nature of our elected mental giants. They can change the rules and even drop ccw if they want. UT, FL and AZ here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links