Permit holder vs. undercover cop shooting UPDATE #2

This is a discussion on Permit holder vs. undercover cop shooting UPDATE #2 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is old news, but apparently the powers that be had chosen to sit on this one, so they could act on it after it ...

Thread: Permit holder vs. undercover cop shooting UPDATE #2

Permit holder vs. undercover cop shooting UPDATE #2

This is old news, but apparently the powers that be had chosen to sit on this one, so they could act on it after it had faded from the public consciousness.

My original thread on the situation was here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ng-update.html

Originally, the permit holder (Treptow) was charged with two felonies, and the officer (Beard) was charged with one felony.

There are some guys on a local forum who have been carefully following the cases as they wind their way through the courts. A few weeks ago, they informed us that the charges against Beard have been dropped due to 'insufficent evidence'.....and this was AFTER the grand jury had indicted him. Also, there was absolutely no media coverage of this anywhere that I have seen, and I read the news daily.

My personal thoughts on the actual incident aside, it seems to be a pretty clear case of somebody 'reaching down', and the permit holder, Treptow, is now pretty much S.O.L.

Thoughts?
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

2. Remove Ads

Would love to read the fact on that case. However, the articles seem to have been removed. No links work at this point.

Link to the ongoing thread over on Twin Cities Carry:

twincitiescarry.com :: View topic - Treptow Case Update

A few news stories on the incident:

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=490339

Cop indicted in road-rage incident during which other driver shot him in leg

ABC Newspapers - Two indicted in road rage case

I can't find any of the original news stories on the incident, but it was apparently a huge mess....road rage incident, one driver draws down on the other, who immediately shoots him. The shooter was a permit holder, and the person who was shot turned out to be an on-duty police officer, who was supposedly working undercover. The incident happened in a very busy area, and there were a lot of witnesses. None of them heard the person who was shot identify himself as a police officer, and at least one of them reportedly heard him yelling "I'll @%$#& kill you! I don't care about jail!" several times, right before he was shot.
    Last edited by packin45; May 31st, 2008 at 11:47 AM.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

i am always amazed that police officers are not held to a higher standard than mere citizens.

if one of us had pulled up and pulled a gun on someone we would be under the jail. this police officer has the charges dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by LabTech View Post
    i am always amazed that police officers are not held to a higher standard than mere citizens.

if one of us had pulled up and pulled a gun on someone we would be under the jail. this police officer has the charges dropped.
    And I'm always amazed that politicians aren't held to a higher standard either. Right. C'mon, it would never do for the gov't to constantly have egg on their face over abuses of authority. It's much easier to just sweep the facts under the rug and let everyone just go on thinking things are fine. I'm actually amazed that with the general public as acquiescent as it is that we don't see even more abuses of authority. But, I think we will.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Quote Originally Posted by MyMonkey View Post
    Would love to read the fact on that case. However, the articles seem to have been removed. No links work at this point.
    Which is a very good reason that the OP of a thread should quote the text of an article that he may link to... It will also get more reads since some members do not like to stray to unfamiliar sites.

This is why I think everyone should walk around with a video cam recording everything (well, almost everything, lol) they do. Of course, the cameras are still too bulky, but eventually they'll be small enough to fit in your glasses frame, or perhaps a lapel pin.

I love the rule of law, but it is too easily distorted by clever lawyers and other authority figures. If I was being judged by a jury of my peers, I would want them to be looking at actual video evidence, rather than having to rely on eyewitness testimony..........................
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Links