CCW with medical condition Yes/No? - Page 3

CCW with medical condition Yes/No?

This is a discussion on CCW with medical condition Yes/No? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To those who spoke about seizures not being a big deal (or the possibility of them being dangerous)...completely disagree. A very close uncle has epilepsy, ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CCW with medical condition Yes/No?

To those who spoke about seizures not being a big deal (or the possibility of them being dangerous)...completely disagree.

A very close uncle has epilepsy, and has absolutely NO memory of what happened after a seizure. He becomes extremely disoriented, gets completely naked, and swings his arms at people in defense if anyone comes near. When he comes to, he doesn't believe he did the things he did. In this specific case, I can confidently say it would be a VERY dangerous situation if he kept a concealed firearm on his person.

One could also argue that during a seizure, somebody would be able to take his weapon (if seizure was in a public place and gun became visible), or that this would be a window when he had absolutely no control over the firearm. If people saw a gun on this person as he was "looking to be going completely insane" (which is not an understatement), it's possible it could cause a panic if the wrong bystanders witnessed this. This could send the person having a seizure into even more of a panic. Very dangerous for everyone. This is just my own family -- I think every person's epilepsy is different and should be decided case by case. It's a tough one...

To say this plainly, my uncle just doesn't know what he's doing during a seizure. If it were up to me, I would not allow him to have a gun under any circumstances.... :(
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

I am also a type 2 diabetic. I take my meds and I have my CFP. As long as one takes there meds and knows the signs of high or low blood sugar they should not be kept from carrying.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by rdoggsilva View Post
    I am also a type 2 diabetic. I take my meds and I have my CFP. As long as one takes there meds and knows the signs of high or low blood sugar they should not be kept from carrying.

Yeah, why was diabetes even suggested? Because people get cranky when their sugar is low? Ban all people with tempers too! That'd be everyone.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

If you ask my wife I am always cranky
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Yeah, why was diabetes even suggested? Because people get cranky when their sugar is low? Ban all people with tempers too! That'd be everyone.
    Yesterday I was playing in a golf tournament and it was taking longer than normal when I felt myself going low. For that I always carry a cooler with some candy and non-dietetic soft drinks with me. I grabbed a Snickers and by the time I needed to hit the next shot I was fine. I never have trouble going high but low is a different story and is why I always keep something available.

Yes I have seen some get cranky from going low but if you didn't know they were diabetic you wouldn't know that they weren't just cranky. I wish more cranky people could be controlled by a candy bar and those are the ones that worry me. Same way with epilepsy. Lots of people who are supposedly normal that I would ban from carrying before I would worry about epileptics.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Um, no.

Some people, when their sugar gets very low, become far more than cranky. Disoriented, confused, combative and armed is not a good combination.

The vast majority of diabetics keep their sugars under control, and don't have serious hypoglycemic episodes. But there are some who can't or won't, and those folks should not, IMHO, be able to carry while they have an active history of profound hypoglycemia.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I have a medical condition, and I carry. The distinguishing factor is going to be whether that condition affects your judgment and decision-making, or if it affects your body severely enough to control the firearm should it become necessary to use it. If either were true and it were me, I would seriously consider not using a firearm for protection, outside my home.

My issue is with a hip/leg. No drugs are part of it, unlike what some folks have mentioned. During normal movement and walking, I have a rough time with it seizing up on me and hurting quite a bit. Doesn't mean I can't move quickly and decisively if needed, but that would be something I'd pay for (in pain) for quite some time. In terms of judgment and ability to handle a situation, though, I feel this condition is no more relevant than having a broken, splinted finger on the off-hand.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have had epilipsey since I was 13. Im now 53. I have had guns and carried guns for 43 years guess what, I have not shot or killed anybody in all these years.I t is called being in control and taking care of yourself.

There are few decent guys that have responded to this subject, but there are a lot that I disagree with.
    Sore subject with me..

Quote Originally Posted by burnman View Post
    I have had epilipsey since I was 13. Im now 53. I have had guns and carried guns for 43 years guess what, I have not shot or killed anybody in all these years.I t is called being in control and taking care of yourself.

There are few decent guys that have responded to this subject, but there are a lot that I disagree with.
    Sore subject with me..

Burnman, thank you for a response from a first hand viewpoint.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    What troubles me about threads like this is we have individuals making assumptions about peoples medical conditions based on what little knowledge
    and personal prejudices.People with chronic conditions should be able to carry as long as follow their doctors orders.Boomer's are getting older by the day and I'll be dammed if I'll give up my right to cary when I need it most!

Let me over-simplify it. everyone and I mean everyone has some type of condition that effects their cognitive decisions. we are all disposed of this as being human and things simple as a headache can contribute to ones behavior. this aside, also have to consider HIPA and not discriminate anyone based upon their medical condition unless they have been evaluated and deemed unsafe. I too am type 2 but diet-controlled and as someone else posted, dis-qualifying all with this condition would have a huge effect on the economy.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burnman View Post

There are few decent guys that have responded to this subject, but there are a lot more I disagree with.

Sore subject with me..
    Touché!

As Burnman so aptly points out . . .

Since BUREAUCRATS make all the decisions on who can have a CCW permit . . . it will be IDIOTS who make a POLICY (cast in stone/law/regulation) to restrict those with medical conditions.

The vast majority of applicants with said medical conditions would be AOK . . . except that policies usually have a way of dealing with THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR, don't they?

Can you see the problem here? Obviously some of us can, but all of us should sit back and reflect on this.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Since BUREAUCRATS make all the decisions on who can have a CCW permit . . . it will be IDIOTS who make a POLICY (cast in stone/law/regulation) to restrict those with medical conditions.
    When you say BUREAUCRATS, I assume you are referring to elected officials. Is that correct? And you are also saying that no medical condition whatsoever should be cause for restrictions from carrying a firearm?

The vast majority of applicants with said medical conditions would be AOK . . . except that policies usually have a way of dealing with THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR, don't they?
    The vast majority of AOK in no way justifies the single gunman who massacres innocent victims. Yes, we must deal with the lowest common denominator.

I don't see any medical condition except mental health issues where an individual has been known or could be a threat to himself or others,As far as possibly passing out or having a seizure and maintaining control of you're weapon I would think would be the same argument as if you are walking or driving are in an accident that renders you unconscious or incapacitated,I feel that people who carry are responsible enough to know what they're limitations are and are more prone to be responsible as far as taking their meds etc. to ensure they remain safe.Once we start trying to deny people the right to carry based on a medical condition we start opening up to being denied for all kinds of reasons that really do not effect the way we handle firearms,I don't have first hand knowledge of a lot of things mentioned here but everybody has to make the decision that is best for them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator

Threads like this should not bother anybody because we are not a bunch of lawmakers who are all sitting in a room ready to cast a vote deciding the "carry" fate of epileptics or diabetics.

Learn, educate, don't attack.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links