CCW with medical condition Yes/No? - Page 5

CCW with medical condition Yes/No?

This is a discussion on CCW with medical condition Yes/No? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SelfDefense When you say BUREAUCRATS, I assume you are referring to elected officials. Is that correct? And you are also saying that ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 81
  1. #61
    Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    When you say BUREAUCRATS, I assume you are referring to elected officials. Is that correct? And you are also saying that no medical condition whatsoever should be cause for restrictions from carrying a firearm?

    The vast majority of AOK in no way justifies the single gunman who massacres innocent victims. Yes, we must deal with the lowest common denominator.
    I watched several laws get passed and then end up in actual court cases back when I worked for the State. The Legislators sometimes submitted bills no one expected to pass, for the sole purpose of getting some twit off their necks. Everyone knew what was going on so these bills usually died in comittee.

    But, now and then, such a twit pacifier got passed. People expected the police to have a sense of proportion and not enforce the law for silly reasons.

    But, the cops were faced with a law, and they were supposed to enforce it, so they arrested people for breaking the law, never expecting the DA to actually bring charges.

    But, the DA was faced with a law, and could easily get a conviction, and the police must have known what they were doing, so he pressed charges, figuring the Judge would straighten it out.

    But, the Judge had to figure the Police would have ignored the event if it was as stupid as it looked, and the DA would not be wasting time with this if it was as stupid as it looked, so he convicted.

    I don't think we need to go into how Juries are told they cannot nullify.

    BTW, I don't think he was thinking of regular cops enforcing laws, but the secret police type cops working for HUD, DEA, ATFE, etc who are given "laws" (actually regulations) they are to enforce, and those are made up by people with no accountability. But, yeah, he needs to keep that straight.


  2. #62
    Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    I don't think we need to go into how Juries are told they cannot nullify.
    What a great topic for a new thread!

  3. #63
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    What a great topic for a new thread!


    Tried to start one (even if I did misspell Nullification):

    Trial by Jury & Jury Nulification -- Poll

    Eight votes.

    No Comments.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

  4. #64
    Member Array GOPony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    82
    It is everyones right to carry, it is not like a drivers license that is a privelage. It has always been my take that there should be no peremptive laws, there should be punshiments for when you do something wrong. Someone with a disability has not done anything wrong why add to their pain even more in hindering their RIGHTS.

  5. #65
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPony View Post
    It is everyones right to carry, it is not like a drivers license that is a privelage. It has always been my take that there should be no peremptive laws, there should be punshiments for when you do something wrong. Someone with a disability has not done anything wrong why add to their pain even more in hindering their RIGHTS.
    So, an adult with serious developmental issues who functions on an 6 year old level should be allowed to carry a handgun, because it is a "right"?

    I submit not.

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  6. #66
    Member Array GOPony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    So, an adult with serious developmental issues who functions on an 6 year old level should be allowed to carry a handgun, because it is a "right"?

    I submit not.

    Matt
    Well i would say my six year old shoots quite well. The fact is it is a right, ok ok ok there is probably a line, but you do not remove rights without the courts being involved. Should this person be allowed to vote? Does this person have freedom? I would submit to you that someone with diabities and some who functions as s 6 year old is not the same situation

  7. #67
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    For the vast majority of diabetics, this is true.

    Have you even seen a diabetic in a seriously low blood sugar state? Perfectly capable of mechanical functioning, but not thinking well?

    If you have, you'll understand why I submit that a diabetic with a documented history of hypoglycemic episodes should not be carrying until they have their sugar levels under control.

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  8. #68
    Member Array Detroittwister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Taylor, MI
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would offer no more information than is asked for...none of those health issues prevent one from being mugged, do they?

    Stay armed...take your meds...stay safe!

    I agree.
    ** NRA Life Member***

    Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380


    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

  9. #69
    Member Array tabraha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    S.C.
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPony View Post
    I would submit to you that someone with diabities and some who functions as s 6 year old is not the same situation
    The thread has gotten sidetracked with the forty bazillion people on here that have diabetes. Matt was raising the point b/c the original poster just cited diabetes as an example but was asking regarding medical conditions in general. Plus when one really goes hypoglycemic, they ARE impaired bottom line. If one is diabetic and responsible they are good too go. If they have a wreckless history they are not.

    IMO, I think it is a case-by-case situation and is not in any way linked to what condition but by how severely that particular person is affected by whatever condition they have. Case in point (which will fire some folks up too I'm sure): I like the idea of one's driving privileges being able to be revoked if their family thinks they are irresponsible or impaired too much to operate a vehicle safely. I think the same should go for carrying too. Some folks live in a pipe dream where they are the only one that matters and will drive blind as a bat all over God's creation, I don't want them to be able to drive or aim a weapon at whatever fuzzy target they are looking at. I know many folks around here that aren't capable of passing the eye exams even with their corrective lenses yet get a doctor's note that DOT's accept as reason to let 'em drive.
    ______________________
    Tad A.

  10. #70
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,925
    I don't think we need to go into how Juries are told they cannot nullify
    Dont mean nothin. A judge can tell you to jump off a bridge, that dont mean I'm gonna do it. IF I want to "nullify" because of a stupid law,I will do so.

    You are corrrect on all other points though.

    As for the handgunner with the medical condition. As long as that person can safely manipulate the weapon, handle it in a safe manner and can hit the target that they are aiming at with reasonable accuracy, why should the medical condition mattter?

    All else is pure speculation.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  11. #71
    Member Array GOPony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    82
    I have an uncle, grandfather and step daughter all with diabities. With my uncle i have seen grave situations with him and the situation you described with being able to function mechanically but not physically. Most of this was during a time of adjustments to medication. I would not take away his permit because the doctor could not get the medication adjusted right. My mother is law is a diabities educator/nurse i have heard horror stories and wonderful stories. This is why i used diabities as the "disability" for my post

    In regards to Tad's response. To take away someone's right i still believe it should be done through the courts regardless of the situation. But there has to be a someone with nothing invested that makes the decision. Remember family members some times can be vindictive for other reasons. I agree that every case has to be handled on its own merits. So should someone with diabities or any other disability be allowed to carry a weapon, until they have a proven record of issues, problems, etc. and they get due process in the courts, yes they should. Do they have to comit a felony prior removing their right, probably not. But just because the possiblity exist does not mean it should be removed. The fact is we have all (ok most) have been totally drunk at some point in our lives, and many while they had a conceal carry permit. The possiblity exist that they would get stupid and utilze the gun, but we do not remove their rights because it could happen, we remove their rights when it does happen. I just think disabilities should be handled the same way

  12. #72
    Member Array calmp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    This has been rattling around in the back of my mind for a couple of days now, and I want to hear different opinions on this...

    How do ya'll feel about someone with a medical condition carrying? Things like diabetes and epilepsy come to mind...

    Here in Florida, if you have epilepsy, the state must determine if you are even able to get a driving permit, much less license... So if the state were to issue the CCW, they should already know this fact...

    Diabetes is not so easy for the state to know about...

    Or am I just putting to much thought into this, and should just forgetaboutit...
    I don't know much about diabetes, but I have seen some epileptic episodes. I was at the local drive through pharmacy waiting for my prescription when I was hit by a van. When I turned around, I saw a lady having a severe epileptic seizure. She still had the car in drive and my car was the only thing preventing her from going forward. Fortunately, the pharmacy personnel and myself were able to get to the van and shut it off. The good thing was that the pharmacy was in a medical complex with plenty of doctors. Several doctors rushed out to help her too.

    I have a coworker who was driving on a country round when she had a seizure. She ended up rolling her car several times. Nobody was around and she was in the car for hours before somebody came. Luckily, she wasn't hurt.

    Knowing this, I don't think that people with epilepsy should be allowed to drive or carry a firearm. I was shocked that these people were even issued driver's licenses in the first place. They should not be allowed to get a CCW. Too many bad things can happen.

  13. #73
    Member Array yugolovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield Indiana
    Posts
    38
    Hello my name is Jon and I have a seizure disorder. I'm not epileptic though. I have a focal seizure disorder. Which means that my seizures would only affect one part of my brain. I have scar tissue on my brain, and this is what actually causes the seizure. I am controlled now with medication and have been for 13 years. When I had seizures I was totally aware of what going on and would even hold conversations during them. The seizure would only affect the right side of my brain meaning that my left side was only affected. Let me tell you that there is nothing fun about watching and feeling yourself slowly lose control of your body. There are already a lot of laws that I have to follow. I have to see my doctor every year. I have to get my medicine levels checked every year. When I wasn't controlled I had to go to the doctor every three months, and was always getting my medicine levels checked. I also could not drive. Here in Indiana you must go two years without a seizure before you can drive. Most people who have a seizure while driving are breaking the law. The problem with law that make something illegal for a group of people is that it makes it illegal for everyone in that group. Guess what folks yes my seizures are controlled, but there always the chance I can have another one. Hell the very last seizure I had was my fault. I got good and drunk one night at college and threw up my medicine. I didn't realize it and the next night to my surprise I had a seizure. So I had to wait 2 year from that date to get my liscense back. Sorry for rambling on fellas there just to many variables for a lot of these laws to work. I think it should be left to the family to take care of these matters, and not the government.

  14. #74
    Member Array tabraha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    S.C.
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPony View Post
    In regards to Tad's response. To take away someone's right i still believe it should be done through the courts regardless of the situation. But there has to be a someone with nothing invested that makes the decision. Remember family members some times can be vindictive for other reasons. I agree that every case has to be handled on its own merits. So should someone with diabities or any other disability be allowed to carry a weapon, until they have a proven record of issues, problems, etc. and they get due process in the courts, yes they should. Do they have to comit a felony prior removing their right, probably not. But just because the possiblity exist does not mean it should be removed. The fact is we have all (ok most) have been totally drunk at some point in our lives, and many while they had a conceal carry permit. The possiblity exist that they would get stupid and utilze the gun, but we do not remove their rights because it could happen, we remove their rights when it does happen. I just think disabilities should be handled the same way
    Good thoughts; I agree 100% with what you've brought up.
    ______________________
    Tad A.

  15. #75
    Ex Member Array FN1910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,235
    There was a show on TV a while back about a fellow that was driving his car for a school field trip with 4 students in the car. All of a sudden this fellow passes out with his foot stuck on the accelerator. The story was about the girl in the front seat beside him that finally was able to get the car under control. The cause of the man passing out was he went into a diabetic coma. The interesting thing was that he had never had trouble with his blood sugars before and has not since. They have no idea why he had trouble that day.

    Should he be banned from carrying?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Medical supplies
    By Daddy Warcrimes in forum Related Gear & Equipment
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: July 11th, 2011, 08:02 AM
  2. Britain: British Medical Association plans to "tag" medical records of gun owners
    By Miggy in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
  3. AARP Medical Ins?
    By ArmyCop in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM
  4. Medical disclosure!
    By rcc413 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: October 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM

Search tags for this page

can epileptics carry concealed
,
can people with epilepsy get a ccw
,

can people with epilepsy have a concealed weapons permit

,
ccw epilepsy
,

concealed carry permit epilepsy

,
diabetes and ccw
,
diabetes ccw
,
epilepsy and carrying a concealed weapon
,

epilepsy and ccw

,
epilepsy and concealed carry
,
r people with epilepsy allowed to carry guns
,
what medical conditions will prevent you from getting a concealed carry permit
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors