CCW with medical condition Yes/No?

This is a discussion on CCW with medical condition Yes/No? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by FN1910 There was a show on TV a while back about a fellow that was driving his car for a school field ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: CCW with medical condition Yes/No?

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    There was a show on TV a while back about a fellow that was driving his car for a school field trip with 4 students in the car. All of a sudden this fellow passes out with his foot stuck on the accelerator. The story was about the girl in the front seat beside him that finally was able to get the car under control. The cause of the man passing out was he went into a diabetic coma. The interesting thing was that he had never had trouble with his blood sugars before and has not since. They have no idea why he had trouble that day.

Should he be banned from carrying?
    There was a case of a man who forgot to wear his tin foil hat, and coincidentally aliens flew over and zapped his brain causing him to flip out. The aliens went back to Alpha Centauri and promised never to return.

Should this guy be banned from carrying?
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    There was a case of a man who forgot to wear his tin foil hat, and coincidentally aliens flew over and zapped his brain causing him to flip out. The aliens went back to Alpha Centauri and promised never to return.

Should this guy be banned from carrying?
    Dang gone right he should be banned along with Scully. Mulder should never have listened to that cigarette smoking man.

As others have said "don't offer any additional info" If they don't ask ... don't tell.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

It is not the condition but rather the mental state.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    There was a show on TV a while back about a fellow that was driving his car for a school field trip with 4 students in the car. All of a sudden this fellow passes out with his foot stuck on the accelerator. The story was about the girl in the front seat beside him that finally was able to get the car under control. The cause of the man passing out was he went into a diabetic coma. The interesting thing was that he had never had trouble with his blood sugars before and has not since. They have no idea why he had trouble that day.

Should he be banned from carrying?
    I'd say if he has one or two more of those episodes he may "ban" himself from breathing! Seriously I don't think an isolated incident is grounds to lose one's right to carry. Hell folks can have 3 or 4 DUI's and get behind the wheel w/o too much legal hassle and that's a VERY large caliber weapon that scares me far worse as I'm probably more likely to encounter that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by yugolovr View Post
    ...... Sorry for rambling on fellas there just to many variables for a lot of these laws to work. I think it should be left to the family to take care of these matters, and not the government.
    Jon, I couldn't agree more.

As I posted a page or two ago my wife has Epilepsy. She's pretty well regulated and has gone over a year without a Seizure. She's not lucky enough to have any warning before they come on. As such I drive her everywhere she goes.

*no longer directed at Jon*
    Just because she's not allowed to drive does NOT mean she shouldn't be allowed to protect her own life while I'm not around. Is there some risk of her having a seizure while she has a firearm with her? Yes of course there's a risk. Is that risk greater, equal, or less than the risk of her being the victim of some form of violent crime in a major city? I'd suspect quite a bit less since she has less than one seizure a year, and has gone as long as 6 years without one.

Why would you disarm an intelligent young lady. On the 1:8760 (24 hours in a day times 365 days in a year) chance she might have a seizure? In reality every seizure she has had has been within the first hour of her being awake.

In her case as Jon pointed out, a single law aimed at people with a "condition" would be completely wrong in my opinion. Are there people who have one or more grandmal seizures a day? Yes, and those people likely have to evaluate for themselves what the risks of carrying a firearm are.

This whole thread is trying to use a One Size Fits All Brush to paint a finely detailed picture and in it's very core is based on what I consider to be flawed logic.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links