CCW with medical condition Yes/No?

This is a discussion on CCW with medical condition Yes/No? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has been rattling around in the back of my mind for a couple of days now, and I want to hear different opinions on ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

This has been rattling around in the back of my mind for a couple of days now, and I want to hear different opinions on this...

How do ya'll feel about someone with a medical condition carrying? Things like diabetes and epilepsy come to mind...

Here in Florida, if you have epilepsy, the state must determine if you are even able to get a driving permit, much less license... So if the state were to issue the CCW, they should already know this fact...

Diabetes is not so easy for the state to know about...

Or am I just putting to much thought into this, and should just forgetaboutit...

I would offer no more information than is asked for...none of those health issues prevent one from being mugged, do they?

Stay armed...take your meds...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I don't have experience with epilepsy or diabetes but I can't imagine them as being a reason one should be deprived of their natural right to defend themself in the best way possible. If you are driving and lose consciousness, the vehicle might careen out of control... while a pistol will likely remain in its holster.

Administrator
    I think its fine, as long as the condition is in "check" or its not something that causes you to do goofy things without realizing what you are doing.

I know diabetes or epilepsy can make one do crazy things, but it is unlikely and can be controlled with medication etc. with a large amount of success.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    This has been rattling around in the back of my mind for a couple of days now, and I want to hear different opinions on this...

How do ya'll feel about someone with a medical condition carrying? Things like diabetes and epilepsy come to mind...

Here in Florida, if you have epilepsy, the state must determine if you are even able to get a driving permit, much less license... So if the state were to issue the CCW, they should already know this fact...

Diabetes is not so easy for the state to know about...

Or am I just putting to much thought into this, and should just forgetaboutit...
    Epilepsy can cause the driver to lose control and be a danger to others on the road, so driving restrictions under such cases are practical for public safty... but I can't see how the same is true from someone who carries a firearm to protect themselves and family... the gun won't jump out of it's holster and kill away
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

The applicable portion of the statute reads that a license shall be issued if the applicant "does not suffer from a physical infirmity which prevents the safe handling of a weapon or firearm.

I don't see where either condition would disqualify someone. Nor should it IMHO.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Epilepsy can cause the driver to lose control and be a danger to others on the road, so driving restrictions under such cases are practical for public safty... but I can't see how the same is true from someone who carries a firearm to protect themselves and family... the gun won't jump out of it's holster and kill away
    If you are carrying a gun, you need to be able and responsible enough to maintain control of that gun at all times... one can argue that a medical condition can or will hinder that ability.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If you are carrying a gun, you need to be able and responsible enough to maintain control of that gun at all times... one can argue that a medical condition can or will hinder that ability.
    I don't remember seeing that in any law. If someone commits a crime and steals your gun out of your holster, should you be dis-allowed from carrying? Are you saying that a law abiding citizen should be dis-allowed simply because the possibility exists that a criminal could steal their weapon? That's what life is. Anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would offer no more information than is asked for...none of those health issues prevent one from being mugged, do they?

Stay armed...take your meds...stay safe!
    My wife's cousin has diabetes, and her sugar sometimes whacks out. When that happens she gets belligerent and disoriented. Not the attributes of someone I'd want to see armed.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

I'm diabetic (Type 2).

I carry.

Try to take my carry from me.

'nuff said.

-JT

PS - I think there have been more than enough written example in this forum alone of CCW holders with barely half a brain cell that are FAR more dangerous than anyone with one of these medical conditions.

You ensure there's a way to keep complete and utter morons from being able to carry, THEN maybe you can ponder denying people like me of their rights.

Senior Moderator
    I don't remember seeing that in any law. If someone commits a crime and steals your gun out of your holster, should you be dis-allowed from carrying? Are you saying that a law abiding citizen should be dis-allowed simply because the possibility exists that a criminal could steal their weapon? That's what life is. Anything can happen.
    I don't anything that in that Sixto's statement that is even close to that.

Of course anything can happen. Nothing new there.

I can think of a couple right now. MS or Multiple Sclerosis. One may not even have enough hand or arm strength to pick up a gun, much less manipulate it.

Another is Arthritis. A hand with fingers so gnarled up that they cant even properly grip a gun, or even pull the trigger.

As for as the "LAW" says, about being able to safely manipulate and carry a gun so that you arent endangering anyone in a two mile radius, when an CHL Instructor signs off on your training form that you successfully fired a weapon and met the requirments of the course, he/she is basically telling the "state" that you are able to do so in a safe and efficent manner.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If we don't die while young and healthy, each of us will eventually suffer from a medical condition called 'old age'.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Unfortunately, the condition known as "lack of all common sense" is not dependent upon age.

-JT

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I'm not saying that at all. Here is my original post;

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm just saying that an argument could be made, and depending on who is making the argument, it could convincing to enough people.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I don't anything that in that Sixto's statement that is even close to that.

Of course anything can happen. Nothing new there.

I can think of a couple right now. MS or Multiple Sclerosis. One may not even have enough hand or arm strength to pick up a gun, much less manipulate it.

Another is Arthritis. A hand with fingers so gnarled up that they cant even properly grip a gun, or even pull the trigger.

As for as the "LAW" says, about being able to safely manipulate and carry a gun so that you arent endangering anyone in a two mile radius, when an CHL Instructor signs off on your training form that you successfully fired a weapon and met the requirments of the course, he/she is basically telling the "state" that you are able to do so in a safe and efficent manner.
    I had thought SIXTO was imagining a scenario in which a diabetic or epileptic lost consciousness and was unable to maintain control of their weapon.

What would be the point of carrying a firearm that you are unable to use due to lack of muscle strength or finger articulation?

I think we are talking about people who are normally able to use a weapon and have diabetes or epilepsy which may affect them at either predictable or unpredictable times.

We all carry under different laws so maybe that's getting off into the weeds, but I am responsible for my own training around here. There is no 'instructor' to tell me my finger / brain doesn't work. The liability is on me if I am negligent or commit a crime.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links