Defensive Carry banner

LEGAL THOUGHTS...hmmmm

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Ozarker 
#1 ·
Was just thinking about the reasons we all carry and the 'unfortunate' results of actual use.
Should any of us need to use or ccw's i would bet that the legal system would think of confiscating our computers.
they would find out what web pages we subscribe to, then pull every post we EVER made to "use against us in a court of law".
I thoroughly enjoy the thought processes thAT result from such exchanges but i try to be conscious of the long term results they could carry against me.
may not be overly wise to say things like "shOot'em all, let god sort'em out!" stuff like that. not that i have ever read that statement here but.....
its unfortunate, but i believe its our society.

#2 ·
I really doubt they'd confiscate my computer in the event of a shooting, but I always try to carefully word things when I do post, because in an anti's or fencesitter's eyes, I'm a representative of all gun owners whether I want to be or not. But I do think that the things you say and do will eventually come back around to you in general, so I'd rather not regret anything!

Instead of using forum posts against me, I think it would be more likely for a mud-digging prosecutor to use the amount of weaponry I have against me, the fact that my gun or knife is evil black and might say "tactical" on it, or he may call me a wannabe-cop because of all the above and because I work for S.W.A.T. Magazine. However, I'm glad I live in TN, where even the prosecutor is likely to have a dozen guns of his own.

#5 ·
We reap what we sow and every coin has two sides.
If you "post and comment" responsibly & your threads and posts honestly reflect your healthy views and personal outlook on self~defense & proper training, etc., and you have voiced your moral and ethical concerns and obligations about being legally licensed to carry a firearm...then (in the highly unlikely event that your computer was seized) your words (in print) can do nothing but help you.
I'm not worried about that at all.

It's been my observation that nearly all of you have perfectly normal human concerns about protecting yourselves & your families & your homes and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I can't see how that would ever come back to haunt you in any way, shape, or form.
Just my opinion.

#6 ·
I've thought of this, but what am I to do? Remain silent in the face of such a travesty as our society faces?

Sometimes I think Dr. Suess has all the answers.

I meant what I said
And I said what I meant
An elephant faithful,
One hundred percent!
Oh they'd have a field day with my computer... all those violent games, survivalist writings, my bookmarks alone would make Feinstein crap her pants, hundreds of gun related images, plans for how to make a submachinegun and a silenced .22 pistol for informational and discussion purposes only, never mind all the educational content that'd get ignored...

#9 ·
I've prosecuted and long been a defense lawyer working murders.

It would be a uniquely dedicated prosecutor who would research such things. I've never heard of it happening (unlike on kiddie-diddling cases, where it happens all the time).

The thing is, you should simply never say anything that's not for publication. Basically, don't say anything anywhere that you wouldn't want printed next to a photo of yourself on the front page of the local paper. I don't believe I've said anything online that I wouldn't say in court, or to my mom, or to God Almighty.

Just use your head . . .

#10 ·
Just let me say to that point : I'm a sweetheart kinda person. I love children,puppies,small birds,baseball,and my mom. I would never,ever do anything at all to hassle,hurt,degrade,dismantle,show contempt for,or inflame the feelings of any and all human beings,all of which I have the utmost respect for and love as if they were my own flesh and blood. I hate violence. I hate warfare. I hate the sight of blood. I'd much rather die than have to be in the terrible position of inflicting any kind of harm to another human being(or,let me add,animal). I do not even eat meat(although in the early 70's for a brief period of time,I was known as a meat eater).I can't stand the thought of wearing leather(poor cows). I never,ever step on a bug. Some terrible person(if their is such a thing) could rob me, beat me,shoot me,even call me a "right wing conservative" without so much as even making me mad. I'm just a overall gental person. ATTN MODS : Please leave this up on this forum forever. Thanks --- The sweet guy.

#11 ·
There is no such thing as internet anonymity - unless you are truly dedicated to such things. It's one of the reasons why I use my name as my screen name - to remind myself that I am not anonymous. Too many folks are too quick to say something online that they would never say in person because they believe their identity is shielded by the 'net'.

#13 ·
I got one for you if my life is threatened to the point that I feel that I must use alternative means to preserve my life then I will. Moreover, if they want to use something against me use this.

Trained by the United States Government to protect citizens from all enemies domestic or other wise.

Squeeze, Squeeze, observe, squeeze. It is really ashame when criminals have more rights than citizens who work hard everyday. :cool:

#14 ·
The computer bit certainly seems (optimist in me!) pretty far fetched but yes - things can come back to haunt - and yes, anonimity is for most of us imagined and not very real.

I like to express my thinking as honestly as I can - but always trying to avoid highly inflammatory stuff that would in effect show us all in a bad light. We all get ''bad days'' or get angered by events - and that can tempt us on occasions to maybe be a tad too ''direct'' with our statements.

Perhaps one good piece of advice is like with woodwork etc - ''measure twice, cut once'' - or regarding our postings - ''think (at least) twice, post once!

We should not tho be afraid to express heart felt opinions, particularly when backed up by sound logic and common sense - well, as we see it :smile:

#15 ·
I'm gonna state mt opinion for all to read. If it hurts me, so be it. Too bad many more don't voice their opinions and let politicians know exactly how we feel.

#17 ·
I googled a couple of screen names I use and didn't see anything related to me at all.

I can't imagine that any prosecutor or investigator would get a warrant for my computer unless there was an allegation that I knew the person I shot and had talked about shooting him on line.

That said, be careful on line about your identity. I use to frequent a forum populated by both conservatives and liberals. There was a small group of seriously nutty leftists that I rather enjoyed arguing with. Of course they didn't enjoy arguing with me because they could never win an argument. Especially one about firearms or the 2nd Amendment.

They managed to figure out who I really was after a death in my family buy looking at obits in that city that were on line. They got even with me by calling the BATF and reporting that I had a cache of machine guns at my Ozark militia compound.

Needless to say I got a visit by a small squad of BATF agents looking for my cache. Of course they went away empty handed but it could have been a bad scene for me if they had executed a "No Knock" at dawn.

So watch out for the leftist nut cases out there. They can and will set you up.

#18 ·
Hmmm, googled mine and while I did find several links to gun forums I also found several hundred links to other things, including military sites in Germany and Sweden.

Are they all me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.