She called me paranoid... - Page 4

She called me paranoid...

This is a discussion on She called me paranoid... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Zach and Holly Yeah, maybe change the question to "would you pick up the handgun if an intruder came through the window ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: She called me paranoid...

  1. #46
    Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    MICHIGAN
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Yeah, maybe change the question to "would you pick up the handgun if an intruder came through the window into your 4 year old girl's bedroom with the intention of sexual assault/kidnapping."

    Could a mother possibly still say no??
    +1...if the answer is no...that she could not defend her family or self...find a new friend...sometimes you just have to cut your losses early...
    BUT if this friend is 'worth' it, don't stop discussing it...start with pepper spray....or other forms of protection...show her the rape or murder stats...but don't stop until she has changed or left....and either way, you done everything you could.
    ----DOC-----

    --people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

    NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines


  2. #47
    Member Array chuck brick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    331
    I haven't read all of this thread, so I may be redundant, but....
    Denial is a form of defense for some. We often call them "sheeple," but some people actually are so afraid, that they couldn't function - paralyzed in fear, as it were - if they acnowledged everything that could befall them. Just as some people (paranoids) are paralyzed by fear in other ways. I have friends like that - some are dear, valued friends - but there is absolutely nothing I can do for them. If I push the concept of self-reliance, they still can't grasp it but they lose (literally!!) the rest of their mental functions; it reminds me of the character Data from Star Trek hitting overload and losing function. I have to accept them for what/how they are, and hope that I'm there if they ever really need someone. I do, after all, love my friends - sometimes in spite of themselves. Some are sheep, some are sheepdogs. It's the way of the world.

    Stay safe,

    Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

  3. #48
    Member Array chuck brick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    331


    (PS, mods, I think that would make a good standard smilie)[/QUOTE]

    I agree! Perfect for so many applications and situations!

    Stay safe,

    Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

  4. #49
    Member Array calmp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    I have been trying to convince my old college friend to consider signing up for a basic handgun course, and become informed as to getting an Ohio CCW.... I told her that I got my own carry permit, and her response was that "I was paranoid." She won't even get pepper spray... safety does not seem to be of great concern to her.

    This must be a common reply many here get... but this person actually knew people who were victims of rape and sexual assault (one victim was her 1/2 sister that was stabbed to death after a group of men was sexually harassing her, when she tried to get away from them, one person stabbed her... and this was in public too, in Jamaica.) She lives in Cleavland Ohio (a city well known for violent crime... it's on this list of "worst cities" as it relates to crime rates in America.)

    Any how, I don't know how to convince her... she is the type of person that will even accept open drink from complete strangers at clubs.... she is the type of person to not even think twice about walking down a dark ally, she would ride her bike around the "hood" type areas as well, I keep telling her that's unwise, especially when it gets late... she is oblivious to everything around her.

    Don't know what to do.
    You can't get people like that to change. They know it all. Unfortunately, these are the ones who end up dead. They never think it's going to happen to them. The only way she is going to change her tune is if she learns the hard way.

  5. #50
    Senior Member Array gilraen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    Denial is a form of defense for some. We often call them "sheeple," but some people actually are so afraid, that they couldn't function - paralyzed in fear, as it were - if they acnowledged everything that could befall them.
    +10. Very wise observation. Not everyone can deal with even the idea of horrific violence, let alone the reality of it.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

  6. #51
    VIP Member
    Array 64zebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    6,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Yeah, maybe change the question to "would you pick up the handgun if an intruder came through the window into your 4 year old girl's bedroom with the intention of sexual assault/kidnapping."
    Could a mother possibly still say no??
    My wife had been around guns/hunting via her dad and uncles most of her teenage life.
    When we got married in Aug 1998 and got into our first "house", I had my Ithaca hunting shotgun under the bed (loaded) and my 30-30 and a single shot 20ga in the closet (unloaded). These were the only firearms I had at the time.
    With my Christmas bonus from work that year, I bought my HK 45 and my Mossy500 and I told my wife I wanted to get my CHL and I wanted to teach her how to use the shotty and the HK so she'd be prepared.
    Her immediate reply was "why do you want your CHL and carry a gun around with you?", to which I replied "to defend your life and mine should the need arise." We had a good discussion about self-defense and she informed me that she didn't think she could shoot somebody, another human being. I told her (quite frankly), so if some crackhead comes busting through that front door right now weilding a knife you wouldn't shoot him to prevent him from stabbing you or me? If we had a baby and someone came at you to attack you, you wouldn't shoot them to prevent injury to yourself or to keep our baby from harm/kidnapping? I know I would do whatever it would take to safeguard you and our child. I would hope you would do the same for me and our child.
    Needless to say, after a couple of months, I had her trained on the Mossy and the HK (though the HK is quite large for her hands) and her mindset was changed from "not hurting a human being" to "I'll do what it takes to protect the human beings I love."
    fyi: my wife now has her CHL and carries a Glock 26 and/or Keltec P11, knows how to shoot my Mossy, AK, and she wants a bolt action rifle to learn long-range shooting now too

    it is possible to change people's thoughts on self-defense, though some may take longer than others
    remember: and anti is a 2A supporter that hasn't been mugged yet
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

    "I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

  7. #52
    Senior Member Array CR2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    My wife had been around guns/hunting via her dad and uncles most of her teenage life.
    When we got married in Aug 1998 and got into our first "house", I had my Ithaca hunting shotgun under the bed (loaded) and my 30-30 and a single shot 20ga in the closet (unloaded). These were the only firearms I had at the time.
    With my Christmas bonus from work that year, I bought my HK 45 and my Mossy500 and I told my wife I wanted to get my CHL and I wanted to teach her how to use the shotty and the HK so she'd be prepared.
    Her immediate reply was "why do you want your CHL and carry a gun around with you?", to which I replied "to defend your life and mine should the need arise." We had a good discussion about self-defense and she informed me that she didn't think she could shoot somebody, another human being. I told her (quite frankly), so if some crackhead comes busting through that front door right now weilding a knife you wouldn't shoot him to prevent him from stabbing you or me? If we had a baby and someone came at you to attack you, you wouldn't shoot them to prevent injury to yourself or to keep our baby from harm/kidnapping? I know I would do whatever it would take to safeguard you and our child. I would hope you would do the same for me and our child.
    Needless to say, after a couple of months, I had her trained on the Mossy and the HK (though the HK is quite large for her hands) and her mindset was changed from "not hurting a human being" to "I'll do what it takes to protect the human beings I love."
    fyi: my wife now has her CHL and carries a Glock 26 and/or Keltec P11, knows how to shoot my Mossy, AK, and she wants a bolt action rifle to learn long-range shooting now too

    it is possible to change people's thoughts on self-defense, though some may take longer than others
    remember: and anti is a 2A supporter that hasn't been mugged yet
    That's cool... When she visited Maryland (my last state of residence) I actually was going to take her to the range, but she seemed more interested in staying home and watching a movie... also her mother had the same response that your wife initially had: "I don't think I could shoot somebody."

    The way how I see it, it's more like the attacker shot himself because he FORCED your hand to defend yourself and others.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

  8. #53
    VIP Member
    Array 64zebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    6,460
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    That's cool... When she visited Maryland (my last state of residence) I actually was going to take her to the range, but she seemed more interested in staying home and watching a movie... also her mother had the same response that your wife initially had: "I don't think I could shoot somebody."

    The way how I see it, it's more like the attacker shot himself because he FORCED your hand to defend yourself and others.
    EXACTLY!!!!!

    as P95Carry's signature line says:

    If a BG dies as the result of pointing a gun at me, then he has merely succumbed to an occupational hazard of being a thug
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

    "I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

  9. #54
    Senior Member Array lance22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,031

    Who's Paranoid?

    Which person is truly paranoid?

    They want to take away everyone's guns because somebody might commit a crime; but if you want to carry because somebody might commit a crime then you are paranoid.

    Which person is truly paranoid?

    You go to the local govt. building to get a permit to carry. The clerk is in a secure building, sitting behind several locked doors, metal detectors, and two inches of bullet proof glass. She asks "Why would you think you need protection?"

    Which person is truly paranoid?

    Docudrama producer M. Moore makes a living showing how 'paranoid' people are who would own firearms or have a permit to carry. But, said producer won't travel w/o armed guards who have the same permit to carry that I do.

    Which person is truly paranoid?

    Senator B. Obama makes a speech that guns don't make anyone safer. This said while standing behind a small army with guns.

  10. #55
    VIP Member Array Paco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    3,507
    Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    Which person is truly paranoid?

    They want to take away everyone's guns because somebody might commit a crime; but if you want to carry because somebody might commit a crime then you are paranoid.

    Which person is truly paranoid?

    You go to the local govt. building to get a permit to carry. The clerk is in a secure building, sitting behind several locked doors, metal detectors, and two inches of bullet proof glass. She asks "Why would you think you need protection?"

    Which person is truly paranoid?

    Docudrama producer M. Moore makes a living showing how 'paranoid' people are who would own firearms or have a permit to carry. But, said producer won't travel w/o armed guards who have the same permit to carry that I do.

    Which person is truly paranoid?

    Senator B. Obama makes a speech that guns don't make anyone safer. This said while standing behind a small army with guns.
    All cases of this medical condition I heard about, paranocritical. This affliction occurs when someone is hypocritical of their paranoia and try to enforce those same paranoid rules that they themselves don't follow. It is also called by another name, Democrat.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

    -Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

  11. #56
    Member Array riverkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Washington's Olympic Penninsula
    Posts
    283
    There are some folks whose only real learning modality is bad experience ... hope she is not one of those. sounds like it tho'.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

  12. #57
    VIP Member
    Array 64zebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    6,460
    Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    Which person is truly paranoid?

    They want to take away everyone's guns because somebody might commit a crime; but if you want to carry because somebody might commit a crime then you are paranoid.

    Which person is truly paranoid?

    You go to the local govt. building to get a permit to carry. The clerk is in a secure building, sitting behind several locked doors, metal detectors, and two inches of bullet proof glass. She asks "Why would you think you need protection?"

    Which person is truly paranoid?

    Docudrama producer M. Moore makes a living showing how 'paranoid' people are who would own firearms or have a permit to carry. But, said producer won't travel w/o armed guards who have the same permit to carry that I do.

    Which person is truly paranoid?

    Senator B. Obama makes a speech that guns don't make anyone safer. This said while standing behind a small army with guns.



    I'm adding your post into my quotes and pics screensaver
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

    "I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

  13. #58
    Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Metropolitan Detroit
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    All cases of this medical condition I heard about, paranocritical. This affliction occurs when someone is hypocritical of their paranoia and try to enforce those same paranoid rules that they themselves don't follow. It is also called by another name, Democrat.
    Sorry, but this transpires accross party lines as well. Not saying I wouldn't prefer a Republican to a Democrat in most cases, but even the Republicans harbor insidious ill will toward our gun rights. The Clinton Assault Weapons ban had it's roots in the Bush (Sr.) importation ban. And even my favorite President from my lifetime, the honorable Ronald Reagan signed into legislation what was the most sweeping and restrictive firearms legislation (at that time) since the Gun Control Act of 1968. That is the reason that machine guns are all so costly, and we can't buy current manuf. FA firearms. Only those manufactured and registered as such 1986 and prior. The NRA rolled over for him then. Ive finally forgiven them enough to rejoin them, but still...

    Okay, back on topic. Some people are meant to be . It is her choice, she's just as free to make it as you are to make yours. I think yours is much more intelligent .
    Regards, T Bone.


    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

  14. #59
    Member Array cl00bie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Broome County, New York (USA)
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    All cases of this medical condition I heard about, paranocritical. This affliction occurs when someone is hypocritical of their paranoia and try to enforce those same paranoid rules that they themselves don't follow. It is also called by another name, Democrat.
    Like the time notorious anti-gunner Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) got stopped at the airport with a handgun in his carry on luggage.

    I would have gone to jail. He didn't.
    -Tony

    "Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Am I paranoid
    By Polish Armed in forum Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: May 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM
  2. Are we paranoid?
    By Rbrown777 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
  3. Paranoid?
    By takurpic in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: December 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
  4. Am I getting paranoid??
    By fishmaycraft in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: May 10th, 2007, 02:20 PM
  5. paranoid or not ?
    By sjones in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: December 6th, 2006, 06:04 PM