Self Defense Poll... - Page 2

Self Defense Poll...

This is a discussion on Self Defense Poll... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is a mans responsibilty and duty to protect himself and his loved ones. I do not expect or desire protection from any one else....

View Poll Results: Gov't Police: Do they discourage average people from providing for their own defense?

Voters
270. You may not vote on this poll
  • The existence of police highly discourages people to provide for their own defense.

84 31.11%
  • The existence of police somewhat discourages people to provide for their own defense.

85 31.48%
  • The existence of police neither encourages nor discourages people from providing their own defense.

79 29.26%
  • The existence of police somewhat encourages people to provide for their own defense.

7 2.59%
  • The existence of police highly encourages people to provide for their own defense.

15 5.56%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Self Defense Poll...

Senior Moderator
    It is a mans responsibilty and duty to protect himself and his loved ones.

I do not expect or desire protection from any one else.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    IMO the presence of the police give the sheeple a false sence of security. Thus they see no need to be responsible for their own safety. Myself on the other hand see a large showing of LEO's and wonder why? Bad area, known threat of trouble, some recent problem in the area? Call me parinoid, call me overly cautious, but call me prepared.

Police protection is smoke and mirrors. The reality of it is that police work is reactionary not preventative, although their presence deters some crime.
    Ditto. I voted: The existence of police neither encourages nor discourages people from providing their own defense.
    You really need to post this poll to the sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You really need to post this poll to the sheep.
    I would agree. The only problem is, don't know they're . Further, being , they may lack the necessary awareness to examine their motives in this manner. I would think that mostly they would answer that it neither encourages or discourages them, but only because they've never actually thought about it. If, for instance, there were no police, people would have to think about it and then arm themselves. Think about the (not so) wild west. There were few police, so many people armed themselves.

I personally think the answer to this one is very obvious. You could substitute the following questions to see what I mean.

Ask a 10-year old: Do you believe the existence of your mother encourages or discourages you from providing for your own nourishment? The answer is obvious.

Ask a person on welfare: Do you believe the existence of welfare encourages or discourages you from providing for your own income? Again, the answer is obvious.

Also, the point was the response of an average person, not necessarily your own response. Obviously, having a permit and being part of this forum means we personally would lean toward option 3, 4, or 5.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

I donít think it makes a difference ether way.

Police can not be everywhere 24/7, and are here to detour crime, not prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    You are partially correct. The "patrol" force is reactive most of the time. There are many "patrol" officers that a pro active and will actually look for crimes in progress or crimes about to be committed.
    That is part of police patrol is to look for signs of crimes in progress.

Then there are anti-crime, street crime, street narcitics enforcement and a large number of other special units that actually deter more crimes than you might think.
    Yes, this is why a lot of "moral" crimes are still illegal. It isn't so much the crime itself, but the subculture that surrounds that crime that leads to bigger crimes. I don't want to stray off topic, but for many states, it isn't the act of prostitution that they want to control, it's the behind the scenes extortion, money laundering, tax evasion, violence that they seek to control by regulating or banning the crime of prostitution. Same with drugs.

But most of our men and women in blue do their jobs well and in my jurisdiction response time is well below 10 minutes.
    Agreed, however I'm literally a block away from the police station and avg response time is 20 minutes. There are also several shifts per week and even day where there is no officer on duty at all.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

My thoughts are police do a fine job in most situations. If you bring self defense in to the picture if you need to defend yourself or family well in most cases you won't have time to wait for the police. Just (MHO)

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    We have been looking at the Sheep and the sheepdog's. But look at the Wolves, they are not afraid of the police. If they get arrested, they know the police's rules of engagement, they put their gun down and laugh because all the police can do is arrest them. If they go to jail it is a "Classroom training environment" mixed with a social event to them. The ACLU protects them at all steps in the process.

What the Wolves are afraid of is a sheepdog in sheep’s clothing. An armed citizen is one of the biggest fears of the BG's of the world. The friendly sheepdog isn't worried with police ROE or allowing them to call their ACLU lawyer. If they start to put their gun down the sheepdog does not have a camera in his car to videotape it, since they do not care about the rules, they assume the sheepdog doesn't either. An armed citizen turns a easy mugging into a justified self defense shooting that they are on the wrong side of. A easy home invasion turns into armed combat on the enemy's (Sheepdogs) territory. A cool carjacking turns into Wolf lying dead in the street.

The average sheeple believes that the police can be there in seconds, and a restraining order can stop a bullet. Unfortunately I had to vote "The existence of police highly discourages people to provide for their own defense."
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I voted Highly Discourages, but only because you did not include the option:

"The existence of ATTORNEYS and POLITICIANS highly discourage people to provide for their own defense."
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    When I first read the title I thought you were trying to vote me off the island.

I don't think police (kind of a large generalization) encourage or discourage self defense. More to the point, the perception of police protection (promulgated by the media and the antis) discourages self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    That is part of police patrol is to look for signs of crimes in progress.

Yes, this is why a lot of "moral" crimes are still illegal. It isn't so much the crime itself, but the subculture that surrounds that crime that leads to bigger crimes. I don't want to stray off topic, but for many states, it isn't the act of prostitution that they want to control, it's the behind the scenes extortion, money laundering, tax evasion, violence that they seek to control by regulating or banning the crime of prostitution. Same with drugs.

Agreed, however I'm literally a block away from the police station and avg response time is 20 minutes. There are also several shifts per week and even day where there is no officer on duty at all.
    I didn't need a lecture on policing 101. I've been on the job for over 12 years. I was merely responding to your post which basically said the police merely react. This is not always true. Without getting into the details of the arrest...I PREVENTED a drive by shooting during ROUTINE patrol by apprehending said suspect with loaded weapons in his vehicle.

Not all cops sit on their backsides eating donuts waiting for the call to come in. I'm sorry that your local PD has long response times, mine doesn't.

Like I stated in my earlier post........I support those who choose be armed to defend themselves and their loved ones. But I had to correct you on the police being "reactive". I agreed that you were partially correct, but as stated this is not always the case.
    Last edited by Scott; June 4th, 2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: removed profanity
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

The one time I needed (medical) help in the middle of the night, it was the police who arrived, administered O2 to my son who was having a great deal of trouble breathing and transported us to the ER before the 24 hr EMTs even arrived.

I don't know how long it took. I think it was about a minute and a half (the town itself was rather small, 2.4 sq miles), since I could hear my wife making the 911 call as I was administering mouth-to-mouth and CPR. I had given my son only three 'breath/pump cycles' prior to their arrival. I'm sure those two cops saved my son's life.

One of them had been previously decorated for saving eight children from two separate house fires. He received a third decoration for saving my son. I don't have to tell you what my opinion of LEOs is.

I don't know how they could have gotten there any faster. Nevertheless, we are living in a fools paradise if we think that we, ourselves, are not our own first and last line of defense.
    Last edited by KenInColo; June 1st, 2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

the police have no duty to protect anyone. there only duty is to solve crimes that have already happened

VIP Member
    The existence of police
    <
    <
    Your pole does not make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Police protection is smoke and mirrors. The reality of it is that police work is reactionary not preventative, although their presence deters some crime.
    Amen brother...

When you need the police this second!...

They are only minutes away!....
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links