Self Defense Poll...

Self Defense Poll...

This is a discussion on Self Defense Poll... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was mulling this thought over and I figured I'd just ask a group whose opinion I respect. BTW, this is not meant to knock ...

View Poll Results: Gov't Police: Do they discourage average people from providing for their own defense?

Voters
270. You may not vote on this poll
  • The existence of police highly discourages people to provide for their own defense.

84 31.11%
  • The existence of police somewhat discourages people to provide for their own defense.

85 31.48%
  • The existence of police neither encourages nor discourages people from providing their own defense.

79 29.26%
  • The existence of police somewhat encourages people to provide for their own defense.

7 2.59%
  • The existence of police highly encourages people to provide for their own defense.

15 5.56%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Self Defense Poll...

Self Defense Poll...

I was mulling this thought over and I figured I'd just ask a group whose opinion I respect. BTW, this is not meant to knock police or argue they aren't necessary.

To what extent do you believe that the mere existence of a government police force encourages people to abdicate responsibility for their own self-defense?

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Speaking in general for the people I have to vote: "The existence of police highly discourages people to provide for their own defence." For me personally, it makes me MORE wanting to provide for my own defence.

Take the total population over the age of 21. Subtract from that all adults that are unable to obtain a CCW permit (convicted felons, etc.). Subtract from that the total number of CCW holders.

There's your answer.

Of course, states like IL and WS that don't grant permits throws a wrench in that formula. There are probably lots of folks that want a permit but there state is not a shall-issue state.

Even in a "pro gun" state like Florida, only about 3 or 4% bother to apply for a concealed carrying permit. Many more own guns of course. But I think the low number of permits tells you that the vast majority feel like its not necessary to carry 24/7. I can only assume that they feel adequately protected by police.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    Even in a "pro gun" state like Florida, only about 3 or 4% bother to apply for a concealed carrying permit. Many more own guns of course. But I think the low number of permits tells you that the vast majority feel like its not necessary to carry 24/7. I can only assume that they feel adequately protected by police.
    This is not a flame, but I think I have to disagree here. I think most people that dont carry a concealed weapon dont do so because they are of the group of folks who think "It will likely never happen to me" and not because they think police are enough protection against criminal violence. They likely dont carry AT ALL not to even mention 24/7.
    The other percentages are probably divided between those that live in their own little society and never "encounter" the bad see and those that simply dislike guns.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Police protection is smoke and mirrors. The reality of it is that police work is reactionary not preventative, although their presence deters some crime.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I don't trust the police to protect me when I need help. Police can take as much as 10 minutes to respond, while an attacker could beat me dead within seconds. My Glock 19 responds at rate of about 1200 feet per second, you do the math!

1200 feet per second versus 10 minutes.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Police protection is smoke and mirrors. The reality of it is that police work is reactionary not preventative, although their presence deters some crime.
    You are partially correct. The "patrol" force is reactive most of the time. There are many "patrol" officers that a pro active and will actually look for crimes in progress or crimes about to be committed.

Then there are anti-crime, street crime, street narcitics enforcement and a large number of other special units that actually deter more crimes than you might think.

I am by no means saying that you should not be armed and protect yourself, quite the contrary. I am a Pro2A guy all the way. Guns in the right hands save lives, end of story.

But most of our men and women in blue do their jobs well and in my jurisdiction response time is well below 10 minutes.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    The existence of Police has nothing to do with why I carry.
    I would carry if there were no Police and I would carry if Police were posted on every street corner.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think most people abdicate their self-defense to some abstract, cloudy fantasy of government protection. Lazy denial, stemming from the ever-increasing party timing herd instinct, of recent generations especially. Uncle Sam is there to clean up afterwards, from welfare to health care to mortgage payments to stimulus checks.

I think that to some extent, many people believe that when the police can be there in minutes...that's all that they will need...Good Luck!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I think most people just don't think about it at all.
    I think they think that if they just don't think about it...nothing will happen to them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I think police give people a false sense of security to an extent... The old "Im gonna call the cops!" statement. The problem is they won't respond in time if someone decides to hurt or kill you right then and there...

Also, I don't think criminals are deterred by police exactly. I think they are deterred by getting caught, and eventually going to jail. Its the thought of jail time that scares criminals, not the police themselves.

Lets put it this way, police. The more there are the will be happy.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

My view is that many mistakenly believe that salaried cops equate to improved protection against crime, when what it really means is better investigation of crime scenes and trailing of criminals after crimes are completed. I think that it's a fantasy to think that a police force can be a protective detail for everyone.

Note: None of this is meant to disparage, in any fashion, the fine work done by law enforcement officers and others in the business. It's just that they cannot be everywhere at once, and that simple fact means they "bat" in clean-up position, largely, after crimes have occurred.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links