Uneasy event - Page 2

Uneasy event

This is a discussion on Uneasy event within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry unless i'm in the shower or sleeping if i'm sleeping the 1911 and sig is on the nightstand right next to the 12 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uneasy event

I carry unless i'm in the shower or sleeping if i'm sleeping the 1911 and sig is on the nightstand right next to the 12 gauge leaning against the wall with 5 00 buck and 1 in the chamber,and 2 more 00 in the side saddle with 3 brenenke slugs in case they dive behind the love seat I will show them some love
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

We have a biometric safe (Don't rant about these, been using biometrics for years with excellent results) in our headboard. Practice access regularly so it is automatic. We are starting to leave it open every night for excellent access. Just close the lid in the morning. Otherwise carry around the house in a pocket holster or IWB. Wife is waiting on a belt holster for hers. She will carry around the house as well.

+1 on educating the kids. My kids joke about all the gun safety classes I have sent them to. They get some form of training every year. Boy Scouts, Hunter Safety, Range safety course. They even sat in on my concealed carry class. My son wanted to go hunting with the adults. When he was little had a toy gun that he always had to have pointed in a safe direction. Later it was a bb gun. Once it was habit to handle safely then he could carry in the field. It has worked well for us and I am confident they will know what to do if they are presented with a firearms situation here or at a friends house.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

VIP Member
    My 2 cents.......Keep the gun on you at all times in a good quality holster. Let the young'n know you have it on and let he grow up knowing it's there. Teach her not to go telling other kids about it.
    Teach Teach Teach. My daughter is much older ( 19 ) and I've only carried for a couple years but I've always had a gun or two. She would never have even considered touching it because I educated her on guns early on. Now she knows every time she sees me and I'm concious she knows I have a gun on me.
    A good flashlight, like a Surefire is must. It's my guns best friend.
    Another thing that hasn't been mentioned. If you're not prepared ahead of time, your daughter will see you both freaking out trying to figure out how to do what you need to do in order to protect yourself. It should be planned so it goes smooth without causing undue panic to your daughter and anyone else.
    Above all... GET OUT OF THERE AND MOVE TO THE USA !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
    So it's 1 AM here in the Midwest. Wife is sitting on the couch surfing the web. 3 year old daughter sleeping on the couch. I am sitting on the floor watching TV. All blinds are down so that means o one can look inside but they can see that the light is on. We hear a somehat loud thump. I thought the wife hit the wall with her elbow or something. After several seonds she starts getting freaked out saying that someone hit/knocked on the door and started running. At first I thought she was joking as we usually play pranks on each other. When I found it was real I got in defensive mode and told her to grab the kid and go upstairs while I shut the lights and went to grab the 9mm and the Mossy 500. I always keep the firearms accesible but with some kind of lock. It turns out I couldn't find the key for the 9mm. It took me nearly 2 minutes to find them and enter the combination for the mossy lock. This is totally unacceptable! For a moment I thought they could be scoping out the place and checking if the alarm would trip but I am convinced it was some bored kid. Real thugs will not knock a door and run like a scared kitten. What did I learn?

1. We need to come up with a clear way of communicating possible emergency situations. Something that leaves no room for misunderstandings.

2. I need to keep at least one firearm in ready mode. Not sure how to achieve this while making it safe for our daughter. I may look into one of those small gun safes that you can bolt under the bed like a V-Line.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions.
    2 minutes is too long... way to long. They have gun safes that can be unlocked in seconds these days.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    My best friend keeps his Glock 19 loaded without a round in the chamber, and keeps it high in a kitchen cabinet so his daughter would have to clime to reach it.

Only takes a couple seconds to chamber a round, and yet itís (somewhat) safe should his daughter get a hold of it.

And he takes the Glock with him when he leaves the house.

When his daughter was 8 or so years old he took her to the lake house, and with a 22 rifle, taught her how to shoot, and firearm safety.

Even though his daughter is now 14 years old, he still keeps the Glock without a round in the chamber. Just to be on the safe side.
    Can't a 14yr old rake the slide?
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Kids can find anything that isn't locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    My best friend keeps his Glock 19 loaded without a round in the chamber, and keeps it high in a kitchen cabinet so his daughter would have to clime to reach it.
    Your best friend should go to Cornered Cat (a really good website BTW) and read Kathy's discussion of what kids can and can't get to, and how she solved the problem of access. She found her 2 year old on top of the refrigerator once.

I completely agree with the recommendations saying that if it is on you, IWB, OWB, pocket, someplace, it won't be a problem for kids, and you can get to it when you need it.

I put it on when I get dressed, take it off and put it in the bed side drawer at night. It's never in a room I'm not in unless it is locked in the safe because I'm going some place the gun can't go.

Fitch

I took someone's advise on this forum which states " Always be armed". I took this literally to the point where I found myself walking across the house with only a towel rapped around me and my Glock19 at 2:00 in a Galco holster. This to some might seem a little extreme but I was prepared none the less. When you have kids at home, carrying is the safest way to go.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I know what you actually meant by saying that you have weapons accessible but when you can't find the key..........I could do a lot of damage in the two minutes it took you to find the key. Switch to a combination. Carry one on your side.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    With a 3 yr old your weapon safety is easier. So, you can keep an unlocked weapon above his reach when you are there, or your lady is able to take responsibility.

VIP Member
    keep a handgun on or about you all the time when at your house
    thats what I do, my G30 is sitting in my fobus paddle holster on the table next to my recliner as I type this
    I usually slip this paddle holster on when I'm about the house, makes it real easy, easy on/off, and it sits on the night stand in this same holster at night next to my surefire,
    my mossy 500 is hung above and inside our master bedroom closet door, me or the wife can reach up, grab, and rack on in real quick, its not visible unless you stick your head in the closet and look above the door
    no way my 5 yr old can get it, keep the closet closed and keep the kid out of our room, it gets locked if we have other kids/company over

my wife knows that if I tell her to take cover, that means to get the kid to our room, hunker down in the corner by her night stand with the kid and her glock and the cell phone, I will then cover the hallway with my pistol and the mossy or AK (only one hall to go down to our rooms so its easy to cover)

definitely need to 1) get some form of set communication with the wife for a critical scenario, and 2) no more playing jokes/pranks on each other concerning situations like this, and 3) keep that pistol on you when at home as your scenario indicated
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    As mentioned, a biometric safe is the best answer. Trying to remember a code, or fumble with a key or lock mechanism with adrenalin flowing just isn't a good idea. Here's a link to a small pistol box that opens via a fingerprint. They have other models as well.

Sequiam BioBox Fingerprint Handgun safe

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you keep your primary defensive sidearm on your hip, it's safe there.

There's your answer.

I have the gun vault and it works well. I'd use that for the handgun. For the shotgun I have been trying to think of a way to keep it loaded and ready but not use trigger locks and keep it away from the kids. I have several closets with the sliding folding doors and they are all ~5ft wide. I thought about putting a couple of support hooks (the kind you can screw into rafters to hang bikes in the garage) just above the opening and keep the shotty up there. Its out of sight and out of reach, and could be very easy to get to when needed. I think I might try it, it would be great to keep it close to the door.

^^ The biometric lock is a very neat feature. I've been thinking of how to have a solid plate that can mount in the wall, with a heavy bracket that holds the shotgun, topped off with a biometric lock for quick (but secure) access. I, too, want to mount it just inside the door of the closet.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links