Uneasy event

This is a discussion on Uneasy event within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We are taking a little bit of everyone's advice. My wife and I went through several scenarios and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uneasy event

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We are taking a little bit of everyone's advice. My wife and I went through several scenarios and worked out what to say and do depending where the threat is coming from. She is not comfortable with the pistol (she wants to try a revolver) but can comfortably operate the shotgun. For the moment we are keeping the Mossy unlocked in the master bedroom closet top rack. It's practically invisible when you enter the closet. It is inaccesible to the kid so we are good to go. I will now look for a nice holster and a Surefire. Still thinking about the gun vault.

We have our daughter covered. She is no stranger to firearms. She has been taught the Eddie Eagle. She can effectively identify the shotgun, rifle and handgun and follow the stop, dont touch, go get an adult. At least we got something right.

Fortunately enough I live in a suburb, not in Chicago. This is getting nowhere with our rights so we will definitely be moving out of the Republic of Illinois. We are just waiting for the real estate market to improve.
    Mossberg 500A
    Savage 93R17 FV
    Ruger P95DC

2. Remove Ads

Want to chime in on this one...
    At home I always have a weapon either on my person, or a 'reach' away.

Finally, my wife understands and no longer thinks anything of me walking around the house wearing a sidearm.
    With what is taking place all over...home invasions...people robbed early in the mornings...one can NEVER think that they are safe in their nice subdivisions...not anymore!

Can you imagine having someone kick in your front door and NOT having your gun WITH you? The ONE time that you forget to arm yourself, thinking that it will be quiet, just like always...THAT could be the one night it happens!..

Actually, we probably have a better chance of getting robbed than winning the lottery...I buy tickets...so shouldn't I carry at home?

Stay armed...at home, too...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
    It is inaccesible to the kid so we are good to go.
    Man, I don't know. We kept our liquor cabinet locked and I thought I'd hidden the key in an un-findable place. I even moved the key from time to time. Now that my daughter's are adults, I've learned that they always found the key. I used to think I had a drinking problem and now find out it was just my kids and their friends depleting my "cache".

Cloudpeak

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Can you imagine having someone kick in your front door and NOT having your gun WITH you?
    Exactly the problem with keeping the defense weapon in one fixed place, regardless of whether it's inside a 100% reliable super-duper instant access lock box. Odds are you won't be able to reach it.

Bath robes have large pockets.

When we hear a thud/bump it is usually a bird flying into the window and stunning itself.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

My wife doesn't like guns, and having a loaded weapon somewhere that my 2 yr old daughter can get to it just isn't acceptable to me. So, I keep a combat knife with a lanyard around it in a hard sheath on my night stand. On the lanyard is the key to my gun safe. I figure if bad stuff goes down, I can strap on the knife and get to the gun safe as fast as I can. If I encounter an intruder along the way at least I can hack and slash. In the safe I keep my carry weapon loaded, so immediately upon opening the safe it's ready to go. I just don't trust myself or anyone else enough to have that gun accessible at all times, especially with a 2 yr old getting into everything.

And from my military experience, I feel turning off the lights was a bad idea. It takes the average person 20 minutes to gain his night-vision. By turning off the lights you just gave the BG an advantage, because if he's outside in the dark he already has his night-vision, and upon entering your dark house he will have an advantage. However, if he's been outside and enters a lighted house, his eyes may hurt just enough to give you the advantage. Just my opinion based on experience. I'm sure there are other opinions.

I would say that you have an advantage in knowing the layout of your house, but working in security sales, I know that the layout of your house is public record and available to anyone who visits their county auditor's website. It will even tell you the names of the occupants, when the house was bought, lay of the land, how much you paid for it... on and on. It's amazing the things you can find on the internet.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Best place for the pistol when awake is on you (already established).

For those keeping the shot gun near the front door (hall closet, etc.) I implore you to move it further inward in you perimeter. One of the more common entries for home invasions is to kick in the front door (they may not knock- they might, but it gives them more surprise advantage to kick it in). This may put them between you and the shotty.

If trigger locks are a must, keep the key on a ring you keep on you at all times (car keys, house keys, whatever). And practice opening the lock in a hurry. Practice a lot.

For those with kids that think you are safe because it's out of reach/out of sight, think again. Education to remove the curiosity is your safest bet.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Cyberguy good job recognizing the problem. Sounds like you also have a wife that is also cognizant of the issues y'all need to polish up on. You're miles ahead of most folks already!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you keep your primary defensive sidearm on your hip, it's safe there.

Very well said indeed, That is the only safe way to be ready for any possible encounter.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

I agree that the best place for your firearm when awake is on you.

When you don't have it on you get something similar to this.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/detai...d=false&type=0

I have had one for a while. I access it every evening when I put my pistol up, and every morning when I get it back out. It takes about 1 to 2 seconds to open up. Bolt it somewhere in your master bedroom closet close to the bed and your good to go. Hide the key just in case the battery goes dead. Seriously, for 40 bucks you can't go wrong. They will hold 3 or 4 pistols if you set them up right.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willysonday View Post
    I would say that you have an advantage in knowing the layout of your house, but working in security sales, I know that the layout of your house is public record and available to anyone who visits their county auditor's website. It will even tell you the names of the occupants, when the house was bought, lay of the land, how much you paid for it... on and on. It's amazing the things you can find on the internet.
    My county no longer shows the layout.

Texas (my county) no longer give the house layout either. I was told that was because someone did use that info to perpetuate a crime at a residence.

Arkansas, on the other hand does still give the dimensions of the residence. At least the ones I have looked into. No was I wasn't doing it for criminal purposes.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Can't a 14yr old rake the slide?

Sure, but I'm sure it's a force of habit now..

and besides his daughter has been taught firearm safety

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    My county no longer shows the layout.
    Most don't now and many are removing them. Just whisper the word liability to the county auditor or county attorney and they vanish from the website.

The web makes much information entirely too easy to get!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links