Uneasy event

Uneasy event

This is a discussion on Uneasy event within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So it's 1 AM here in the Midwest. Wife is sitting on the couch surfing the web. 3 year old daughter sleeping on the couch. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uneasy event

Uneasy event

So it's 1 AM here in the Midwest. Wife is sitting on the couch surfing the web. 3 year old daughter sleeping on the couch. I am sitting on the floor watching TV. All blinds are down so that means o one can look inside but they can see that the light is on. We hear a somehat loud thump. I thought the wife hit the wall with her elbow or something. After several seonds she starts getting freaked out saying that someone hit/knocked on the door and started running. At first I thought she was joking as we usually play pranks on each other. When I found it was real I got in defensive mode and told her to grab the kid and go upstairs while I shut the lights and went to grab the 9mm and the Mossy 500. I always keep the firearms accesible but with some kind of lock. It turns out I couldn't find the key for the 9mm. It took me nearly 2 minutes to find them and enter the combination for the mossy lock. This is totally unacceptable! For a moment I thought they could be scoping out the place and checking if the alarm would trip but I am convinced it was some bored kid. Real thugs will not knock a door and run like a scared kitten. What did I learn?

1. We need to come up with a clear way of communicating possible emergency situations. Something that leaves no room for misunderstandings.

2. I need to keep at least one firearm in ready mode. Not sure how to achieve this while making it safe for our daughter. I may look into one of those small gun safes that you can bolt under the bed like a V-Line.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions.
    Mossberg 500A
    Savage 93R17 FV
    Ruger P95DC

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
    2. I need to keep at least one firearm in ready mode. Not sure how to achieve this while making it safe for our daughter.
    If you keep your primary defensive sidearm on your hip, it's safe there. Of course, that'll require a given comfort level and understanding with your family members, but then you won't have such situations again.

When you're asleep, it's fine to lock them up in a way that's quickly accessible by you. But, IMO, when you're awake you need to have it ready to go.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you keep your primary defensive sidearm on your hip, it's safe there. Of course, that'll require a given comfort level and understanding with your family members, but then you won't have such situations again.

When you're asleep, it's fine to lock them up in a way that's quickly accessible by you. But, IMO, when you're awake you need to have it ready to go.
    Stated very well. There is not much that can be added
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

If you keep your primary defensive sidearm on your hip, it's safe there.
    +1 G19 OWB right now. Strange things go on around here often as we're on a county road just outside city limits. There are a few guys who live farther out and seem to like to cruise our area on four-wheelers at some really odd hours. The other day I caught two girls standing in the middle of the road taking pictures of the house? When they saw me come out the door, I surprised them and then they acted like they were taking pictures of each other. Never know what folks are up to when they are outside their normal neighborhood. If they are casing the place-they'll get an eyefull--if they're smart, they won't do it again.

You mentioned commo.
    That is vital.
    Practice your commo and your response, from different locations: take turns giving the alarm, as there is no telling which of you will be alerted to a situation first.
    You are better able than I to determine which defensive tool will be kept in ready condition.
    If I were to give free advice -- and like the wise man said, free advice is often worth the price you pay for it -- the Mossberg is a fine persuader, not only as it acts as a hearing aid, and can speak loudly and persuasively in your behalf, but it's also not easy for a child to operate, thus reducing the chance of a tragic accident.
    You are better, far better, able than I to determine what will serve your household best for its defensive tools and their ready condition.
    One last thing.
    Hug your child once for me.
    My little girl was killed on her second birthday, twenty years ago and more, T-boned by a drunk driver.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Couple things:

1)Throw away those Brady trigger locks!! As you see, when seconds matter, your keys are only minutes away. Your entire family could have been wiped out before you could even think of where you put those keys. As you probably found also, when the adrenaline is running, it is hard to find that tiny little hole that you need to line the key up with to get it unlocked. That's a fine motor skill. You need gross motor skills under stressed times. These locks worked flawlessly for you according to the Brady's. It slowed you down enough to become a victim, and they are applauding that.

2)If you and your wife are pulling pranks on each other all the time, maybe it's time to scale that back. It's great to have fun and all, but if it is desensitizing you to what goes thump in the night.........not good.

3)Purchase one or more of those handgun safes that have the 4 finger code on the top of it. They run $69. Leave your handgun loaded at all times (no trigger lock) and put it in there. Make sure your wife knows the combo also. I would actually suggest one for each level of your home. It needs to be kept within the routine of your day. Such as upstairs, mounted to the dresser. Downstairs near the door that you use most or wherever you pass by regularly. On your hip is always going to be the best place for that firearm though!

4)Does your wife know how to use both your firearms? If not, teach her!

5)The mossy, as the other poster pointed out...that's a pretty safe firearm, that your child is not going to be able to load and operate on her own. Keep it accessible.

6)Flashlight! If you don't have one such as a Surefire G2 or better, get one. You turned the lights off, which was good. You hit the bad guy in the eyes with a defensive light, you will temporily blind him, perhaps long enough for you to move to safety. You also need to be able to identify the criminal. You can not just randomly shoot at an unidentified target. Could be your wife playing another prank on you!

7)This is the most important suggestion: EDUCATE YOUR CHILD ABOUT FIREARMS STARTING TODAY!!!! I can't stress that enough. If your child is old enough to have come home from the hospital, that is when the education begins! You are 3 years behind the eight ball, but you can catch up pretty rapidly. Start with the Eddie Eagle rules. Satisfy her curiousity of what they are and what they do. I will take a 4 year old child who has been educated about guns over a 10 year old, who Dad has a gun, put up on the back corner of the closet shelf, but has never shown the kid the gun. That kid will satisfy their own curiousity when Mom and Dad aren't around. Educate, educate, educate the children. As the anti's always scream, "it's for the safety of the children", so as it is for the law abiding, gun owning parent.

8)Finally, please move out of the god forsaken city and state in which you live in, and come join us in another state that respects your 2nd Amendment rights!!!! Live in the land of the free!
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

It says you're in Chicago......are you within city limits? I was under the impression there's a handgun ban or it's very strict there. I'm curious what the law is, I know you can't carry(unless you're LEO) but not sure about your private property.
    I'd agree w/the others that you carry in the house or at least get a system down where its readily accessible and you can get it even in pitch black conditions.
    This sounds a little like the scenario that was laid out in the Heller case, with Roberts laughing while he said the homeowner has to grab his glasses, turn on the light, go to the shotgun's trigger lock and put in a combination to open it if someone breaks in.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Peep Gun Vault, Safe to Armed in Seconds - Home I use one and find it to be prety quick. I doubt you kid can rack the slide on a mossy 500. Leave it unlocked and with an empty chamber when your home.-Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rogers View Post
    Peep Gun Vault, Safe to Armed in Seconds - Home I use one and find it to be prety quick. I doubt you kid can rack the slide on a mossy 500. Leave it unlocked and with an empty chamber when your home.-Jay
    Problem with those is...unless your code is really simple...can you do it under pressure with someone breaking into your house? Get your wife/SO/boss to start yelling at you as you are trying to open it and see if it affects your time to open.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Linda had some really good ideas.

If you have to have a trigger lock by law, get one with a combo instead of key lock. I'm more in favor of a gunvault type of safe. I have one under the bed with a few handguns/magazines in it. I also have a shotgun mounted with a LifeJacket LJ3 in the master walk-in closet. I drilled 4 holes in it.

Agreed, no more pranks that involve safety.

I've also heard about having a small bag next to the bed when you sleep. Basically the OP said that they use a fanny pack with all the quick essentials - flashlight, keys, cell phone. That way if you need to get into action quickly, everything is there. You can put the fanny pack on & leave your hands free to hold a gun & flashlight.

I always keep my EDC on me when I'm home. No matter what. Even if that means my P3AT in my pocket. That way I always have something something on hand.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Administrator
    Really? A bump caused all that? Well, at least it exposed some flaws in your plan.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My best friend keeps his Glock 19 loaded without a round in the chamber, and keeps it high in a kitchen cabinet so his daughter would have to clime to reach it.

Only takes a couple seconds to chamber a round, and yet it’s (somewhat) safe should his daughter get a hold of it.

And he takes the Glock with him when he leaves the house.

When his daughter was 8 or so years old he took her to the lake house, and with a 22 rifle, taught her how to shoot, and firearm safety.

Even though his daughter is now 14 years old, he still keeps the Glock without a round in the chamber. Just to be on the safe side.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Does this remind anyone else of the Heller Supreme Court Oral Arguments:

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: So how long does it take? If your interpretation is correct, how long does it take to remove the trigger lock and make the gun operable.
    MR. DELLINGER: You -- you place a trigger lock on and it has -- the version I have, a few -- you can buy them at 17th Street Hardware -- has a code, like a three-digit code. You turn to the code and you pull it apart. That's all it takes. Even -- it took me 3 seconds.
    JUSTICE SCALIA: You turn on, you turn on the lamp next to your bed so you can -- you can turn the knob at 3-22-95, and so somebody
    MR. DELLINGER: Well -
    CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Is it like that? Is it a numerical code?
    MR. DELLINGER: Yes, you can have one with a numerical code.
    CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: So then you turn on 2 the lamp, you pick up your reading glasses

(Laughter.)
    I guess it is not so funny when it's real...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I keep a pistol on me all the time when conscious--Glock with chambered cartridge. When unconscious at night, with my wife the only other person in the house, I keep it within reach. Of course, that may not be feasible if children lived with me.

I would not choose a quick-access safe because either it could fail or I might not have time to enter the access code. Any gadget that would prevent my instant access to the defensive weapon introduces additional failure modes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links