Something wrong with this picture?

This is a discussion on Something wrong with this picture? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by snowdoctor +1 that is one of the best statements I have seen written on this board...why didn't 30 people checking out all ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Something wrong with this picture?

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    +1
    that is one of the best statements I have seen written on this board...why didn't 30 people checking out all throw soup cans at him...anything...he was attacking and trying to harm another...good Americans can not stand around and let these things just happen anymore hoping someone else will do something..
    Complacency and passivity only gives strength to criminals... they WANT a sociaty that won't intervene when someone's life is threatened... and to me, this makes those who would do nothing enablers of this sort of violence violence.

The man was no purse snatcher, he had intentions to kill with a knife, and considering that he already stabbed 2 people, what do you expect a good citizen to do, "be a good witness" and watch later as cops draw a chalk line around 2 bodies... then you could pat yourself on the back and say "I did my part, I was a good witness."

give yourself a hand there
    , you're the poster child of today's sociaty.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

2. Remove Ads

Ms. Lorinda Smith is an idiot.

She was most fearful of a gun, without regard to the handler and how she was handling it as applied to the situation.
    Most fearful of that gun than a clearly criminal acting criminal with a knife who was not only acting in aggressive manor toward _two_ others but had actually already cut one bleeding him and acting by distinct motion with intent to do it again.

Crazy.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

"I did my part, I was a good witness."

Yeah, but when the police ask who saw what happened most won't come forward.

They aren't good for stopping the attack, they aren't good for telling what happened.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

VCR?

What strikes me as really funny is Kim Mariani, spokeswoman for Handgun Control Inc., says "It just escalates the situation, and a lot of times it's unnecessary."

We went from an assailant armed with a knife who has already cut two people to an unarmed male waiting for the police. How did the grandmother drawing her weapon escalate the situation? Seems to me she deescalated the situation rather nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    While we are not LEOs, we are members of the human race and especially Americans. We need to show the BGs we are not willing to stand around and wait to be witnesses, or worse just leave and pretend we didn't see what was happening. Even if we were no armed we could each grab an item and throw it, hit the BG, or engage in some impromptu way. The worst thing can happen is for you to be attacked with a crowd around, everyone will watch assuming someone is calling 911 and it isn't your problem.
    That's the way we need to act and that's the way a lot of us do but unfortunately we are way outnumbered by the and persons like that moron who had "the crap scared out of her" by the gun.

I have been party to the 'worst case scenario'. I was attacked on an NYC subway for merely making eye contact w/a homeless nut job. I deflected his initial assault, put him on the ground and proceeded to "stomp a mud hole in his chest". All this happened in front of two dozen people, not one of which came to my aid. When the cops finally got there, one of the 'good witnesses' told the cops that I "just kept kicking him [the homeless guy] and kicking him". Fortunately, the rest of the 'good witnesses' told the cops that the homeless guy came after me.

Too often, too many just refuse to get involved.

Good for the grandma for subduing an attempted murderer.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    'We want to keep our stores a pleasant place to shop, so we would never encourage our customers to arm themselves,' said Wal-Mart spokesman Tom Williams.

OK...So how does this affect the walmart walk?? I mean he DID say that walmart does not like guns, right? I guess in a more subtle way though....
    In a perfect world, Mr. Williams' response would apply only if nobody walked into Wal-Mart armed. Unfortunately, as we all know, this is not a perfect world.

Wal-Mart is attempting to cover their own asses here. They can't condone concealed carry. If they do, the media will have a field day with them.

Regardless, I am going packed. I am going to have my own pleasant shopping experience, knowing that if I have something to defend myself with if somebody pulls a knife or a gun on me.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I think rljohns makes a very good point. Personally, I find myself looking at the situation (and the many similar ones we discuss here) with an odd double standard, but one that I can't convince myself is necessarily wrong.

That is: I can't fault any given individual for making the choice not to get involved, but I can fault society for producing the situation where (more often that not) nobody gets involved.

Honestly, though, I think this is the reason why we rightly call people like Ms. Suter heroes---because they do make a conscious choice to help others even when there are very good reasons not to. At least we do still produce the occasional hero in this country. I have never been in that situation, but I hope I could make a choice I can live with if I ever am.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by flccnp View Post
    What strikes me as really funny is Kim Mariani, spokeswoman for Handgun Control Inc., says "It just escalates the situation, and a lot of times it's unnecessary."

We went from an assailant armed with a knife who has already cut two people to an unarmed male waiting for the police. How did the grandmother drawing her weapon escalate the situation? Seems to me she deescalated the situation rather nicely.
    There are some CCW holders who are wannabe cops, but this lady doesn't strike me as the type. She saw a situation and acted the way she thought was right. It could have been the wrong choice, but isn't this the chance we take when we are confronted with a decision like this? Anytime somebody has to draw a handgun, something bad can happen. It doesn't mean that the good guy is going to come out on top. While her own life was not threatened, the two stabbed Wal-Mart employees lives were, and possibly others too. That constitutes more than reasonable fear that lives were in danger.

VCR . . . the first clue this was dated.

+1 to being a responsible citizen. Crime affects us all. And I doubt getting in a situation like this where you have superior weapons and tactical position is any more dangerous than driving around with all the drunk drivers.

There are some CCW holders who are wannabe cops, but this lady doesn't strike me as the type.
    Like the guy I saw last week OC'ing in a black polo and 5.11 pants? Cheap nylon holster, no badge, cuffs, or security ID. I had trouble explaining to my wife what a mall ninja was.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

“'We want to keep our stores a pleasant place to shop, so we would never encourage our customers to arm themselves,' said Wal-Mart spokesman Tom Williams. ...” How about keeping creeps like Willie Redding out of your store? That would keep your store a pleasant place to shop.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Who wants to bet that WM fires the two employees who got cut for not following policy?

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    ...Honestly, though, I think this is the reason why we rightly call people like Ms. Suter heroes---because they do make a conscious choice to help others even when there are very good reasons not to. At least we do still produce the occasional hero in this country. I have never been in that situation, but I hope I could make a choice I can live with if I ever am.
    That's my definition of a hero too.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links