First time Travel & CCW to Florida -- quick Questions!

This is a discussion on First time Travel & CCW to Florida -- quick Questions! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I just received my CHL about two weeks ago and have been carrying pretty much everywhere I'm allowed. I can't carry at work, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time Travel & CCW to Florida -- quick Questions!

Well I just received my CHL about two weeks ago and have been carrying pretty much everywhere I'm allowed. I can't carry at work, and have yet to order a COM safe for in my car so I don't carry to and from work.

I've got a business trip to Orlando Florida next week, and will be attending a conference all week at the Orange County Convention Center. I've looked on their website and see nothing about firearm laws -- is anyone familiar with firearm laws in the convention center?

I'll also be flying on United, and I see the TSA regulations regarding a hard case lockable container for the firearm. My SIG came in a hard plastic case that is lockable -- is this sufficient or does it need to be a metal case? They were not very specific on this.

In reading florida laws it also looks like you cannot carry where alcohol is sold. Am I understanding this to mean open carry is not allowed in Florida eitiher? In VA i know i've got to do the VA tuck when I enter a place that serves alcohol (it's actually somewhat entertaining seeing peoples reactions sometimes)

any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
    Thanks for any help.

AFAIK the establishment must make more then 50% of the profits from alcohol. Such as a Bar. Although you may be in the restaurant if they serve alcohol, you may not be at the bar area while carrying.

Have fun in Orlando

Also make sure there is a safe in your hotel room. For example if you go out to a bar at the end of the day, you need a safe spot to keep your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bprepared View Post
    AFAIK the establishment must make more then 50% of the profits from alcohol. Such as a Bar. Although you may be in the restaurant if they serve alcohol, you may not be at the bar area while carrying.

Have fun in Orlando
    Hmm interesting. I guess this is what people refer to as the 51% signs at establishments? In VA i just open carry if alcohol is served, but in FL you're not allowed to carry?

The hotel does have an in-room safe, but i won't have a safe in the car so it'll take a lot of planning ahead.

Welcome to the land of the giant cartoon rat!

Here's a list of the "no carry" places in FL. Note that you may carry in an establishment that serves alcohol, you just cannot carry in that portion of an establishment primarily devoted to the service and consumption of alcohol. In other words, you can carry in a restaurant, but not in a bar or the bar portion of a restaurant. No open carry in FL. No problems with the convention center.

Possession Restrictions - Weapons - Division of Licensing, DOACS

Bring the sunscreen, it's HOT down here right now!

Here is the link to the off-limit places:
    Possession Restrictions - Weapons - Division of Licensing, DOACS

The plastic case your Sig came in is acceptable. Just make sure you have a lock on it. Store the ammo separately from the Gun.

Call the airline you're traveling on for their specific rules. Their web sight should have their policies.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    From my understanding of the law (and others), you can be in a restaurant, pool hall, club, or even bar, as long as you are not at THE BAR, which is the portion of the establishment devoted to drinking alcoholic beverages. So the table or booth distanced away from the bar is ok for example. You cannot be under the influence of alcohol however.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    The plastic case your Sig came in is acceptable. Just make sure you have a lock on it. Store the ammo separately from the Gun.

Call the airline you're traveling on for their specific rules. Their web sight should have their policies.
    The lock on this plastic case cannot be a "TSA" type lock,only you can have the key.This means that to open it,TSA must contact you to come and unlock it in their presence.I usually attach a big note with my cell # in case they can't simply find me.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    From my understanding of the law (and others), you can be in a restaurant, pool hall, club, or even bar, as long as you are not at THE BAR, which is the portion of the establishment devoted to drinking alcoholic beverages. So the table or booth distanced away from the bar is ok for example. You cannot be under the influence of alcohol however.
    From my understanding, this is not true. The link above states: "any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*" That includes tables for eating, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dealer View Post
    From my understanding, this is not true. The link above states: "any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*" That includes tables for eating, etc.
    So eating at Chili's is out then? Please refer to Jon Gutmacher's book ORLANDO CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY | CRIMINAL DEFENSE SERVICES by JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq..
    His view on it seems to be in accordance with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by FearSheeple View Post
    In reading florida laws it also looks like you cannot carry where alcohol is sold. Am I understanding this to mean open carry is not allowed in Florida eitiher? In VA i know i've got to do the VA tuck when I enter a place that serves alcohol (it's actually somewhat entertaining seeing peoples reactions sometimes)

Thanks for any help.
    From the Florida Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services site:

The following is a list of places where you are restricted from carrying a weapon or firearm even if you have a license. Please note that this is a simplified list. The places marked by an asterisk (*) may have exceptions or additional restrictions. See Section 790.06 (12), Florida Statutes for a complete listing.

o any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
    o any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
    o any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
    o any courtroom*
    o any polling place
    o any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
    o any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
    o any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
    o any school administration building
    o any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
    o any elementary or secondary school facility
    o any area technical center
    o any college or university facility*
    o inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
    o any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law
    If it is a bar, even if they serve food, it is off-limits for carry.
    If it is a restaurant, even if it serves alcohol, it is okay for carry, if you stay out of the bar portion of the restaurant.

Open carry is NOT allowed.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    So eating at Chili's is out then? Please refer to Jon Gutmacher's book ORLANDO CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY | CRIMINAL DEFENSE SERVICES by JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq..
    His view on it seems to be in accordance with mine.
    In my opinion, and IANAL (but I have read his book twice and review often), Chili's is fine. Just stay out of the bar.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; June 2nd, 2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: add clarification
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post

If it is a bar, even if they serve food, it is off-limits for carry.
    If it is a restaurant, even if it serves alcohol, it is okay for carry, if you stay out of the bar portion of the restaurant.

Exactly right.

We ate at Pizzaria Uno's on Friday......hey, what can I say, the kid likes their make-your-own pizza...... They offerred us a booth in the bar area. I declined and we were seated in the main portion of the restaurant. Had we sat in the bar area, I would have been in violation of FL statute 790.06(12). By sitting outside of the bar area I was perfectly legal, even though I had a nice cold beer with my pizza!

As for not carrying IN a bar, even if it's not in the bar area, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. I think it spells it out pretty clearly in this direct quote from 790:
    any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose.

Portion, portion, portion.

If I am indeed wrong, please, please show me. I am all for doing the legal thing and would hate to misunderstand the law. And for what I can see, it's legal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links