Almost pulled my gun today - Page 4

Almost pulled my gun today

This is a discussion on Almost pulled my gun today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My favorite way of collecting quick information like this is to do it from my car, do a driveby of the suspicous vehicle without stopping, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Almost pulled my gun today

VIP Member
    My favorite way of collecting quick information like this is to do it from my car, do a driveby of the suspicous vehicle without stopping, and use the voice recorder on my cell phone and record the license plate number, phone number, name, or whatever in my cell phone. No need to try and write or memorize. No need to expose myself to unnecessary risk.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Situational Awareness

"I show up and there is a van parked on our Home Owner's Association grass at the entrance where there is flowers, bushes, sodded lanscape, ect. I walked up behind the vehicle to write down the license plate number ..."

Lets see...

An unrecognized van parked at the entrance to a building (Home Owner's Association is a building, isn't it?) that you manage...

And you aproached it???
    On Foot???
    Without a cellphone???

VERY GLAD this worked out well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TXGLOCK29 View Post
    There was a couple of moments where he made physical advances while he was making his comments that made me nervous enough to want to draw my weapon, however I didn't because he kept his hands where I could see them, he never got closer than about 5 feet ...
    Way, way too close. If you were fearful enough of their threatening speech, gesticulations and movements towards you, allowing them within 5' (in a two-on-one) can instantly turn deadly for you. Caution, if ever you are in a similar situation that's brewing into a storm.

Ditto on doing the gathering of license late info from inside your car. It's far less threatening and obvious. Also keeps 3500 lbs of car between you and potential assault, with folks you don't know.

Though, I fully appreciate that coming out of your car in your own neighborhood to look at a car on the grass wouldn't seem a dangerous thing to me, either. So, take those suggestions for whatever they're worth. (They're free, after all. .)

Keep in mind, as well, that they've got your license plate number. Might be worth maintaining a bit of heightened awareness over the next month or so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You were not hurt and you did not have to retain a lawyer so in my book you did just fine.

Now you can take all the advice from those who have posted and apply it to the next situation. You are more prepared today then you were yesterday. Congrats

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    44 posts, lots of evaluation (5' was beat to death) and I have only seen 2 statements of immediate advice.
    The biggest thing that stood out to me was;
    I am of the opinion that this is not over yet.
    Watch your 6, be aware of ANY out of place vehicles around your work and home, randomize your route.
    Who (BGs) uses knives anymore? That is one thing that I rarely if ever see in the news. 21' is a good conflict rage to be extra aware for anything when there is the potential for conflict. Like Lima said, if it is going to happen, it is most likely going to be within 7 feet be it a beating/stomping, or getting shot at.
    As for future advice on how to handle this type of scenario, thats been covered.
    not flaiming you man, but I disagree, I count 33 bits of advice in the above posts for the situation (counting the 5' thing only once)
    lots of good info on how to get the license plate next time, situational awareness, choice of words, using words informing of possible penalties, choice of carry, etc, those are all bits of immediate advice
    and the 5' topic was mentioned so many times for good reason, situational awareness has to be key, because if you allow a person to get that close to you, your options get narrowed down real quickly
    and yes, scumbags still use knives, I read/hear stories pretty regularly about people getting stabbed, officers getting stabbed, suspects arrested with knives, robberies committed with knives, etc
    someone within 5' presents you with more dangerous scenarios, if they attack you can't draw a gun and shoot them before they make contact, if they swing at you--is it a fist? or a blade/shank coming to stab your lung or heart?, thats a grave situation to be faced with and that is why the 5' thing was beat to death
    again, not flaming you Sticks, I just felt compelled to clarify some things, its something we should all think about and be prepared for
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I'll be brutally honest... to me, you handled it completely wrong... you never should have engaged them at all. 99% of self-defense is AVOIDING situations where you would have to protect yourself. Just call the police and let them handle it. Now these guys know you and they may come back... armed. Hey, I don't want to scare you but you really should be very careful at this point.

I understand how aggravating this type of behaviour can be but these types of simple incidents (pulling in front of someone on the street or whatever) are the types of things that can get a person killed. Guys like these, that you confronted, do not respect anyone and they do not care what happens to you or them in the process of making their point.

If you want to be a law enforcement officer, please join your local police force and at least have some trained backup when you put yourself in positions like this.

BTW, please take this in the spirit that it was given, I am not trying to shame you but to wake you up to save your life.

You did the right thing, now just watch your back.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

First off, allow me to sincerely thank all of you for the input. It has all been very beneficial. Many of you really helped accelerate my learning curve. I also want to make it known that I did not use ANY racial slurs of any kind, even though he had no problem with doing that to me. I know I made a couple of mistakes yesterday with that confrontation, but it was my first time (and thankfully not my last time) and I have the wonderful opportunity to use this situation as a learning experience.
    Just to add a couple of other details to the story, both of the men were around 5'10'' and in the neighborhood of 205lbs. The aggressor was mid 30's and the other man was mid 60's (may be a little slower, but last I checked, a 65 year-old man can still fire a weapon). I am 24, 6'1'', 215, and just 1 year removed from being a professional baseball player. While walking back to the office from the confrontation, I walked with my back to them, yet had my head turned toward them, watching their EVERY move. Also, I had my cell phone with me, and I was actually writing the vehicle description/License plate # in the notepad on my phone.
    In hindsight, I should have stayed in my office to begin with and called the police, just giving them a description of the vehicle instead of walking up behind their vehicle and recording their license plate number. If I ever find myself in a potentially dangerous situation again, I will try to find a way to create more distance between myself and the BG, and be more aware of how my words could be preceived by the threatening party.
    Once again, thank you all for all your input. I really do appreciate it, and will continue to read all of your thoughts to better educate myself, and hopefully some of the other readers on this blog.

VIP Member
    good that you have the right attitude for learing from situations and/or mistakes

also, get over to the new members section and "officially" introduce yourself!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Once again, thank you all for all your input. I really do appreciate it, and will continue to read all of your thoughts to better educate myself, and hopefully some of the other readers on this blog.
    Hey thats how we learn....sharing our experiences, knowledge and opinions.

There was some criticism on you verbally escalating the situation. In my somewhat limited experience in threatening confrontations, depending on the subjects in question, anything you said might have "provoked" them. Its not rare that simply bumping into someone by accident or looking at someone in the eye these days is enough to find yourself in a violent confrontation.

I would have ended the conversation at, “I’m writing down your license plate number”. I may not have even said that, I may have just walked away at that point. Anything else only serves to escalate things with idiots like these two. It accomplishes nothing else. Overall you did very well. Not need to draw your weapon but as others have pointed out try to keep more distance between them and you.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Ok so here's what happened. I am in Real Estate, and we have a real problem with people who park in no parking zones in the community I manage. We also back up right next to what some people may call "The Ghetto."
    I'm late looking at this thread but I believe that there is a larger picture here that has not been touched upon.

Reading the initial post, it sounds like this is a neighborhood in transition. If this area has in the best been a long-standing low-income minority neighborhood, then an upscale white development is almost certainly going to be a lightning rod for resentment. Did the community that you manage displace previous residents? Did the planning of the community incorporate ways to bring the two different cultures together? Are the new residents content with being backed up to "The Ghetto," or are they hoping it will just go away?

I think that since the residents of the community that you manage are the new arrivals that a good relationship with the previously existing neighborhood will probably take a good deal of time and effort on their part. Without knowing more details, I couldn't possibly suggest specifics but conflict avoidance would seem to be essential and would have to involve community leaders of "The Ghetto," the Home Owner's Association and law enforcement.

I believe that legally, you were in the right, but that you are very fortunate that the contact did not turn out to be violent and agree with other posters that you could still be at risk.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Ok so here's what happened. I am in Real Estate, and we have a real problem with people who park in no parking zones in the community I manage. We also back up right next to what some people may call "The Ghetto." Well today, I show up and there is a van parked on our Home Owner's Association grass at the entrance where there is flowers, bushes, sodded lanscape, ect. I walked up behind the vehicle to write down the license plate number when two African-American males (owners of the vehicle) walk up behind the ledge to my right and ask "what do you think you're doing?" I responded "I am writing down your license plate number and the police have already been dispatched because you are parked in a no parking zone AS WELL AS on private grass." One of the men responded by saying "I ain't afraid of no Police!" I then told him "that may be the case, however, I don't think you want to pay $700 because your vehicle was ticketed and towed." Here's where things escalated...
    He then informed me that he was going to "crack me upside the head." At that point I told him that it would not be smart to threaten me and you don't know who you're talking to. He then said "you don't know who you're talking to you cracker! " I responded by saying "look sir, just move your car and have a nice day (while backing away)" and he said "Screw (but didn't use the word screw) you cracker, you better watch out!" They got in their vehicle and began to slowly follow me as I walked back to my office. I was praying that I wasn't going to be a victim of a driveby.
    Luckily I got back to my office safely. After getting back inside I called the police department and informed them of everything that just happened. They had a detective call me and file a report. With all that said, yes I am a CHL, and yes I was carrying. There was a couple of moments where he made physical advances while he was making his comments that made me nervous enough to want to draw my weapon, however I didn't because he kept his hands where I could see them, he never got closer than about 5 feet, and the other man that was with him stayed back and didn't say a word. Did I do the right thing, or would any of you have pulled your weapon? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Personally, I would have avoided any confrontation. You could have simply called the police. Imagine what those guys saw. They come up to their vehicle to find a stranger writing down my license plate. They don't know you from Adam. I would be a little hostile too. Then, you compound the problem by telling them that you didn't know who they were talking to and insisting that you move their vehicle like you're some kind of law enforcement officer. Since you did not identify yourself, they know you're not one. They decide to give you more crap, which you did not like, of course.

You might have instigated this thing all by yourself and it could have been avoided. I mean, is it really worth to get seriously injured or die over a parking spot?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Cool head kept you from having to hire a lawyer.......well done.
    +1 to that brother
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

You were able to walk away, not end up in jail or the hospital... yes you did the right thing. However time and time again the 5ft thing is a concern, however, as the event built... that too was a judgement call... Stay saft.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links