Nevada CCW and Carrying Knives

This is a discussion on Nevada CCW and Carrying Knives within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know what the laws are regarding concealed carry of blades in Nevada?...

Thread: Nevada CCW and Carrying Knives

Does anyone know what the laws are regarding concealed carry of blades in Nevada?
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

This should help you:

Nevada

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I think basically, we cannot carry any knife concealed that has a blade longer than 3"...

Kershaw Assisted Open??

From what I read it does not appear that you could carry a Kershaw assisted open knife either.

VIP Member
    The law is a bit ambivalent regarding knives here but essentially any concealed knife with a blade longer than 2" could be viewed by a police officer as a dangerous concealed weapon. It also depends on how it is used or displayed etc.

Folding knives don't usually get too much attention but fixed blades do. I know "automatic" knives are not legal. Belt buckle knives and daggers are a no no too.

There's not much written the NRS's but section 202 is the best place to start looking.

NRS: CHAPTER 202 - CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    I think basically, we cannot carry any knife concealed that has a blade longer than 3"...
    This is a Clark County ordinance, not State law.

The NRS cite gives you State law. Local laws are not preempted.
    Your permit, if you have one is for firearms only. You can apply to your sheriff for a permit to carry other specified weapons concealed. Good luck.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    This should help you:

Nevada
    I have a printed copy of the NRS, so I read that before starting this thread, but it doesn't explain knife laws very well.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    I have a printed copy of the NRS, so I read that before starting this thread, but it doesn't explain knife laws very well.
    True. But do you really want to get important legal advice on the internet? In an area where local law may be different on one side of a street then on the other?

IMHO if this is truly a concern you need to obtain competent counsel.

Ken

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I would love the ability to conceal a real knife, but to this point have decided only to carry a folder clipped to the inside of my pocket. A small folder, at that.

It might be a good idea to hire an attorney to search out and find exactly the law for each of the cities in your area. I'm in the LV area, so we have LV, NLV, Boulder City, Henderson. Right?

Plus the CC and NV State laws as well to contend with. Could be daunting. I'd be willing to chip in for an attorney if there were enough people interested in chipping in... hah

edit -- Found this at handgunlaw.us

Knife Laws by State/City

Nevada 202.320 & 202.350 & 202.355 Y ? Knife carry is legal but very little definition of what is legal. See NV Law.

Clark Co. NV. 12.04.180 Y <3" concealed weapon of any description, including a knife with a blade of three inches

Henderson, NV 8.98.010 Y <3" including a knife with a blade of three inches or more,

Las Vegas, NV. 10.70.010 Y <3" (B) Any knife with a blade three inches or more in length;

N. Las Vegas, NV 9.32.040 Y <3" knife with a blade three inches or more in length

Reno, NV 8.23.140. While carrying in a Park/Recreation area a Dangerous knife means a knife having a blade that is 2" or more

Come to FL...permit is "Concealed Weapon or Firearm" license. Knives, even automatic knives, aren't a problem if you've got the permit.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Come to FL...permit is "Concealed Weapon or Firearm" license. Knives, even automatic knives, aren't a problem if you've got the permit.
    Because you guys need as many weapons as you can get to fight all the crime down there!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Ah, but Nevada they can carry their firearms in a bar. An interesting trade off. Now if we could just combine those two pro self defense laws, and make them universal everywhere.... ah, a man's gotta have a dream.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Ah, but Nevada they can carry their firearms in a bar. An interesting trade off. Now if we could just combine those two pro self defense laws, and make them universal everywhere.... ah, a man's gotta have a dream.
    Yeah, and we need our knives to pop the bottlecaps off!

Links