California Trouble

This is a discussion on California Trouble within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lots of luck to you guys out in California. But as stated you need to get rid of the left wing officials. I was born ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: California Trouble

Lots of luck to you guys out in California. But as stated you need to get rid of the left wing officials. I was born in raised in Bakersfield and left 14 years ago for Utah, not only over gun control but the whole left wing agenda. You guys have a tough row to hoe, good luck.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. Remove Ads

B52
    I hope I never get stationed there. I love the outdoors of California, but hate the politics.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Best of luck guys! I love California, just visited there for the first time last year. Orange County is the most conservative heavily populated county in the State AFAIK.

On California being a "bell weather" State, that is true in many areas. Oddly (and thankfully) that has NOT been the case WRT CCW.

The Nation has been swept in a wave of "shall issue" laws, to where now the majority of States actually are such (amazing the changes in the last 10 years!). This was started by Florida if I'm not mistaken (though I think Georgia actually did it earlier, Florida was at the forefront of the arguments/evidence proving the anti's wrong, and issuing non-resident permits was one of the reasons for it spreading).

If it weren't for the current laws in Cali, I'd probably try to find a way to move there. If you can get it done, I'd be proud to transplant myself from my economically depressed (but reletively free) State.

Go Orange County!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I used to live in L.A.. Best thing I ever did was move out of there.
    You need to also if you want to keep your guns.
    I don't mind visiting there, but would NEVER live there again with all the crime and stupid laws.
    XD9SC, S&W 637
    Taurus 85, SKS
    Nevada CCW
    Utah CCW

Huzar, SealBeach & ChrisG are all guys like us, responsible CCW holders & 'regulars' on California Concealed Weapon (CCW) Forum , a terrific web site where I frequently lurk & sometimes post.

Orange County, CA is one of the few enclaves of sanity surrounded by counties entirely populated by mindless who continue to elect the idiots who propose laws like 'microstamping', the banning of lead ammo (in order to protect condors) & .50 cal firearms, restricted magazine capacities, 'smart guns' and dozens of other senseless laws designed to discourage normal citizens from even attempting to obtain CCWs.

The guys in OC who do have their CCWs didn't just get them handed to them; they still had to jump through the kinds of hoops that a lot of us would just have not bothered with.

I wish you guys the best. Whatever we can do to help you...
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Some folks have asked how they can help. Well here's how. Email our Board of Supervisors. Thank Supervisor Bates as she supported Interim Sheriff Jack Anderson and ask the rest why did they go against voice of people as the polls showed that both him and Bill Hunt (not necessarily our choice but still way up there in the polls) ended up not being selected as the top two? If you have family in CA or even better yet in OC, you might want to mention that you'll be speaking with them about this. Info on the BOS

Keep the faith

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    whether it's the new gucci bag for the ladies or some new law. We get the publicity and we are the first domino to fall at times.
    We need new avenues of approach maybe that's the key. Get Gucci to design a few holsters and fanny packs. :)
    Hopefully you have some good folks down there that are willing to do a little "grass roots" type action. Orange county is also large enough that you could become the push within the state to start some change.
    Keep the faith, my armed brother!

Here's an update folks: Sandra Hutchens just got elected as the new OC Sheriff. What does this mean to us? Hard to say: she is somewhat of a scary unknown since she comes from LA (LA is very CCW unfriendly unless you're a judge or a famous/rich person). We hope that through education and publically expressing our opinion through email, snail mail, fax and calls we will be seen and recognized and acknowledged. Got friends/family in OC? Have them write their supervisors about this. Keep applying the pressure :D

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    Here's an update folks: Sandra Hutchens just got elected as the new OC Sheriff. What does this mean to us? Hard to say: she is somewhat of a scary unknown since she comes from LA (LA is very CCW unfriendly unless you're a judge or a famous/rich person). We hope that through education and publically expressing our opinion through email, snail mail, fax and calls we will be seen and recognized and acknowledged. Got friends/family in OC? Have them write their supervisors about this. Keep applying the pressure :D
    I commend you Huzar on your proactive behavior. I have to sheepishly admit, I am one of the ones that decided to leave commifornia for the politics rather then stand and fight. Like it was mentioned before, cali is a bellweather then can be influenced by us. I'll do my part to help!

Good luck, man.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

LOL you hillbillies are full of it. Most people aren't registered to vote. Most of those don't vote. Anyone who leaves a state for the "politics" is a fool or a liar. Anyone who thinks Cali has a lock on crime, minorities, or stupid politicians is a fool or liar. I will take my part of Cali over any humid tornado alley hurricane ridden snowbound icestormed flooded swamp any day.

And, I DO get around the US enough to know what I am talking about. Our stupid politicians should bother the average person as much poison oak on a pinkie.

One nice thing about Cali, no 30.06 signs or the like. It's not even an issue, although some counties have as many carriers as the shall issue states. If it isn't a bar that doesn't serve food, a courthouse, or a place with a metal detector, pack 'em if you got 'em. Oh yeah, and their precious post offices.

VIP Member

From NRA-ILA Today (New Sheriff to Review CC Permits)

New Orange County sheriff to review concealed-weapons permits
    Sandra Hutchens says she wants to ensure that those issued licenses by her indicted predecessor have a good reason.

By Stuart Pfeifer and Christine Hanley, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
    June 18, 2008

Newly appointed Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens said Tuesday that she intends to review all the concealed-weapons permits that her indicted predecessor issued and revoke those of gun owners who can't prove a legal need to carry the weapons.

When former Sheriff Michael S. Carona resigned in January to focus on his upcoming federal corruption trial, he had issued more than 1,100 active carry permits -- among the most issued by any sheriff or police chief in the state. Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca, by contrast, has issued fewer than 400.

Many were issued to traditional holders: judges, prosecutors, jewelers or others whose occupation leaves them in fear for their safety.

See remainder of story here:
    New Orange County sheriff to review concealed-weapons permits - Los Angeles Times

I hope this doesn't hurt you folks out in Orange County, but it doesn't sound good on the surface....
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Although I never want to step foot in California, I wish ya'll the best of luck...

From above, it sounds like you may need it.

If there is an area of the US that needs CCW more than most others... it is SOCAL.

I used to live in Orange Co. and commute to the Valley to go to work. I know what you are talking about.

I've since retired and do not live in California.

Good luck to you.
    225th SAC "Phantom Hawk" - US Army - Vietnam 1969-70

Newly appointed Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens said Tuesday that she intends to review all the concealed-weapons permits that her indicted predecessor issued and revoke those of gun owners who can't prove a legal need to carry the weapons.

This is the freakin' problem right here. Unless I'm in security or a lawyer I have to "prove," I need it. Why don't they prove to me that I don't and will never need it or am a threat?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links