California Trouble

This is a discussion on California Trouble within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know how many of you have followed what's going on in CA currently. In SoCal there is a county called Orange. Till recently ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California Trouble

California Trouble

I don't know how many of you have followed what's going on in CA currently. In SoCal there is a county called Orange. Till recently it's been the most densely populated county in SoCal that has issued CCW"s. Unfortunately there were some issues that have caused Sheriff Carona to retire (lets please not dwell on circumstances) and we had Sheriff Jack Anderson running the show. Unfortunately this was the once in a lifetime opportunity for the Orange County Board of Supervisors to work on placing their person in charge of OCSD (Orange County Sheriff's Department: body that did most issuance in OC). So.. now the battle is on. They have the most CCW unfriendly folks as their two choices. Total Buzz » Blog Archive » Hutchens, Walters top final sheriff candidates - OCRegister.com . So keep your fingers crossed for us as we will not give up but the battle will be fierce.

I know quite a few of the folks here joke about Kalifornia and call us odd names that fit other counties quite well but I hope you will all stand behind us and help us out should we need help to fight the battle of the state that is in general firearms unfriendly but still has counties (densely populated ones at that) that do issue. So please keep your eyes on this thread, think good thoughts and wish us luck.

2. Remove Ads

man good luck,,,

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Another reason NOT to live there.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Another reason NOT to live there.
    Please lets table that type of thought for the moment. It will not help us. We are
    hoping that the few of us that remain (ok, more then a few) can work on changing things instead of bailing out. Anyways lets think and work towards change :D

Thanks .

California is in many respects a "bellwether" state, a trend established here is often emulated by other states. Despite what people think, MANY counties in California do issue CCW's, and the numbers have been growing. A reversal of CCW issuance in Orange Count would be a signicant blow to nationwide issuance.
    "Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin". John Wayne in True Grit

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Well the Oregon part of me says "Good, everyone go back down there and work to change it and quit coming up here to change things."

But the rest of me says a resounding good luck to you and the rest down there. Hopefully you can put enough pressure to keep it good for CCW.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Thanks! That is what we're hoping for. We are unlike San Diego, San Francisco, Los Angeles and other big city areas. A blow to us (OC) will be a big blow to the state and whole nation. Look at the microstamping bill. It pass in CA and I know other states are considering it as well as it is on and off considered on a national level. If we lose the battle on CCW, things might just turn for the worse for all.... so again, I ask all for support. For now, just hope for the best. In near future.. well, I'll let you know what happens as things develop as we're not going down without a fight.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    Please lets table that type of thought for the moment. It will not help us. We are hoping that the few of us that remain (ok, more then a few) can work on changing things instead of bailing out. Anyways lets think and work towards change :D

Thanks .
    I agree, this is not something to just weigh in on to bash them. Instead, we all need to do whatever we can to help them gain some ground or at least hold on to what they have now. While many will say that this is simply a California problem, it most certainly is not. Like it or not, California is very much, as SealBeach said, a bellweather state. We see laws being introduced here in Arizona all of the time that were first implemented there. We need to be ever vigilant on constraints being put on the concealed carry laws, wherever they occur.

Good luck to you Californians on this and by all means, keep us informed....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I agree, this is not something to just weigh in on to bash them. Instead, we all need to do whatever we can to help them gain some ground or at least hold on to what they have now. While many will say that this is simply a California problem, it most certainly is not. Like it or not, California is very much, as SealBeach said, a bellweather state. We see laws being introduced here in Arizona all of the time that were first implemented there. We need to be ever vigilant on constraints being put on the concealed carry laws, wherever they occur.

Good luck to you Californians on this and by all means, keep us informed....
    Thanks Bumper. We (me and few others) will keep posting notices here as much as we can. It's also good to know that others are rooting for us cause it's going to get... well, how should I say it.. Interesting :D

Sadly enough from national perspective CA has a "presence" of sorts. It means that it is a trend setter: whether it's the new gucci bag for the ladies or some new law. We get the publicity and we are the first domino to fall at times.

VIP Member
    California and Trouble... aren't those synonyms?

Seriously, I wish you folks a lot of luck getting things turned back around there!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

You guys need to somehow protest to get your voice heard, let the people of OC know their rights are in jeopardy with these candidates. Hopefully the atmosphere in the county is such that people will listen.
    Would they go so far as revoking permits already issued from the county?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by SealBeach View Post
    California is in many respects a "bellwether" state, a trend established here is often emulated by other states. Despite what people think, MANY counties in California do issue CCW's, and the numbers have been growing. A reversal of CCW issuance in Orange Count would be a signicant blow to nationwide issuance.

Truly the ccw issue is a monumental example of how some things that get 'trendy' in California don't hold water elsewhere!

California is one only a FEW States that play that game. The ccw licensure issue, nationwide , in the last decade has become one of 'shall', not 'may'.

California, Wisconsin, Illinois, and a paltry handful that vary to one degree or another are really behind the curve on this issue.

You need to do what we did in Florida, organize and lobby. You need a strong advocate, similar to what we had and have in Marion Hammer............truth be told you should've done it years ago!

Just remember the old saw about the squeaky wheel getting the grease.

Senior Moderator
    A reversal of CCW issuance in Orange Count would be a signicant blow to nationwide issuance.
    I dont think so. If every state modeled their laws after California law, there would be no concealed weapons issued anywhere. Just because things are stupid there, dosent mean they need to be everywhere else.

That and the fact that there is no "nationwide" issuance. Its a state thing...and they are all different.

With that being said, I truly wish yall luck. You need some changes first, you need to organize, mobilize and first get the offending politicians out of office. Easier said than done, I know, but that's what will make the difference. It'll be like swimming upstream, if you ever letup, you'll move backwards.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I don't evny you Cal guys.....it seems the battle is uphill and no peak is in sight. I don't think gun rights really have much of a chance there until people there clean house with their left wing politicians. It seems to be an issue from local city level on up through the state. I don't think I can do much to help, but I do post replies to articles I see and email journalists with an earful when I can. Good luck.

Any and all support would be greatly appreciated. Orange County has been the best urban vounty for CCW issuance in California for the past 10 years... certainly not "Shall Issue" by any means but definitely is/was open to issuing CCW's to people with verifiable Good Cause. It was a step in the right direction for the rest of the state. We have now taken a big step backwards. But hope is not lost, we are looking into how we can effectively force the incoming Sheriff to make no changes to policy and then elect a pro-CCW Sheriff into office next election in 2010.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links