SHTF, I'm the "Bad guy"

This is a discussion on SHTF, I'm the "Bad guy" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay so today I got asked the ? Are you ready for a disaster? By my fiance. I said YEP She said No your not! ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SHTF, I'm the "Bad guy"

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

SHTF, I'm the "Bad guy"

Okay so today I got asked the ?

Are you ready for a disaster? By my fiance.

I said YEP

She said No your not!

You have a weeks supply of food H20 and 1 months supply of food for our pets!

I said baby disaster our pets will be fine for a month (we have a dog/ Scarlet Macaw). I then said baby if it gets that bad I'm keeping the dog, and letting the bird( Lucy) who is fully flighted free to fly away and survive on her own free!

She started crying and said HOW DARE YOU! I can't believe you would do that.

I was like wait a minute we live in NOVA. The dog can eat the deer/squirrels I shoot in my parents backyard. I have 3000 rounds of .308/ 2 M1A's 3 ARs .223, 22LR with over 10,000 rounds of ammo an air gun, a bo, enough 9mm to fill my 18 magazines of 9mm for my machine gun, and then some for you and your carry gun, my parents have 14 people living in their neighborhood on over 400 acres easy with a lake full of fish.

I told her If I need ALL that CRAP to survive, you and I probably didn't survive the first flash from Ground Zero!

She still got pissed any way, I think I'm doing okay. Granted I told her "Baby we don't live in BFG MI (no offense I love MI), I said if its a disaster help will probably be max 2 weeks away. SHTF help is NEVER coming.

Anyway I'm in a pickle need some reasurrance.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you've got a plan.

Might want to add a big bag of birdfeed and a small travel-size bird cage, just to keep your fiance happy. Shouldn't cost much, and you stand to gain a lot more than you'd lose on price and storage for those small items.

Caution: accepting any advice on women from me is inherently dangerous.

You better start by apologizing for being insensitive about letting the bird go. Then ask her nicely if there is anything else that "she" would recommend.

If that does not work keep in mind you can always eat the bird if disaster ever strikes.
    NRA Member

Honestly it sounds like a totally unnecessary escalation. Why worry about her bird? Just going to make her associate preparation with fighting with you.

My recommendation: stock up on birdseed or whatever the bird needs. Can't possibly cost that much.

Plus, she's got a good point RE food supply. A week of food supply isn't that much if you're prepping. I'm not clear on what your plan is for dealing after that; 14 people getting all their food from it is likely to deplete that lake pretty fast. If you're planning on hunting game on those 400 acres there'd better be an awful lot of it. If you're planning on growing crops you should have food stocks to carry you through a growing season.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Sounds like you've got a plan.

Might want to add a big bag of birdfeed and a small travel-size bird cage, just to keep your fiance happy. Shouldn't cost much, and you stand to gain a lot more than you'd lose on price and storage for those small items.

Caution: accepting any advice on women from me is inherently dangerous.
    Or you could by a bottle of BBQ sauce for the bird! That ought to really get her going!

Nuclear SHTF... I would have planned on eating the dog, and the bird.

Just change your plan to accomodate the bird and make her happy. If the S really does HTF, you can do whatever you need to.

LOL! beg forgiveness! and buy a few bags of bird seed and dog food and then ask her what else she thinks you need!
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Spartan View Post
    Or you could by a bottle of BBQ sauce for the bird! That ought to really get her going!
    Mmmm! Tastes like chicken.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    A real SHTF and I'm eating the dog, the bird, and the neighbors if they are stupid enough to show up around my place.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

B52
    Eat the bird!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Okay, my first three thoughts were covered multiple times above (apologize, buy bird feed and if it comes to it, eat the bird).

So I'll hit another part of your post. BFG MI.? I've heard of BFE (been there in fact!). So help me out here, what's the G?

BTW, consider yourself lucky you've got a woman who considers disaster preparedness a good thing, and not a lunatic trait! And you might want to lay in a few months worth of canned/dehydrated food....
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Granted I told her "Baby we don't live in BFG MI (no offense I love MI),

Alright no picking on my state even if it does blow I really wish my house would sell so i can move
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I think a bag of birdseed and some flowers are in order!

You certainly have enough ammo! Might want to stock up on more consumable supplies. Lakes tend to get contaminated and other animals disrupted in many emergencies too. Who wants to be out searching for dinner when SHTF anyway?

Just a warning, bird seed, hamster food and the like only lasts for a few months before it gets moldy. Most of it is not packed in totally dry, sterile conditions so don't expect it to last. (you might be able to slow bake it at low temp in the oven and vacuum seal it to increase storage life? or? someone might have a good suggestion on how to store it...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    Just don't tell her you plan to eat the dog if things get real bad. My wife didn't like that very much.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Run out of food? Eat the girl. No more griping.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; June 5th, 2008 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Add info
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links