CC at Sturgis

This is a discussion on CC at Sturgis within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Think I'm gonna go to Sturgis this year. My KS permit is good in SD but I've seen this posted on several sites dealing with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC at Sturgis

CC at Sturgis

Think I'm gonna go to Sturgis this year. My KS permit is good in SD but I've seen this posted on several sites dealing with the rally and the law:
    State Law SDCL Bond Amt (1997)
    Carrying Loaded or Uncased Gun #32-20-6.6 $75.00

I'm going to assume this means if you don't have a permit or maybe this is just the rule in Sturgis itself?

I did a google search but didn't come up with the answers I was looking for.
    Last edited by sisco; June 5th, 2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling error
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

2. Remove Ads

1) I would avoid Sturgis.
    2) A personal rule: if I'm violating the Rule of Stupids (Don't do Stupid Things; Don't hang with Stupid people; Don't go to Stupid places (where #s 1&2 congregate)) I'm probably going to have to stay away from the fun stuff, or violate the law to carry a firearm, so...

If you're part of a known group, and you had to SD someone, his buddies would probably say, "Yeah, he was a dumb***." If you're a weekender, getting out of South Dakota would depend on how well liked the person you shot was- kinda hard to evaluate in the heat of the moment.

Grew up with & hung out with bikers much of my life, so FWIW to you.

AVOID STURGIS!!!

It's not like it used to be, and is just a show for the RUB's and tourist.

Biker

VIP Member
    Personally I'd call SD for clarification on the carry issue but then again... I wouldn't go there either!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

DO NOT call SD! They don't even know their own laws! LOL. I have lived in SD for 16 years, and the police there are pretty lax. I did have one incident while carrying where my wife's ex-boyfriend was starting some stuff and when the police arrived they thought that i forged my ccw permit.....wow anyways yeah I live 30 minutes from Sturgis, and let me tell you IF you are going to Sturgis, GO ARMED. I am NOT joking. Like I said I have been here to see the stupid that Rob speaks of for 16 years and you do not want to confront it unarmed. You will be fine.

I quit going in 1984. By that time it was WAY too big and commercial. It's gotta be a thousand times worse by now. Nothing but Winnebagos trailering yuppy bikes, dentists trying to act like hardcore bikers, and terribly jacked up prices.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

It looks like you are good to go.

The permit is valid throughout South Dakota except in any licensed on-sale malt beverage or alcoholic beverage establishment that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of malt or alcoholic beverages (SDCL 23-7-8.1); any county courthouse as defined in SDCL 22-14-22; or any elementary or secondary schools (SDCL 13-32-7). The permit is not transferable from one person to another (SDCL 23-7-8.3).

Go here:South Dakota Secretary of State - Concealed Pistol Permits
    "Islam is not your friend"

To all the nay-sayers, not going is not an option. Going to Sturgis is on my list of things to do before I die.
    Don't care if it ain't what it used to be (Maybe that's a good thing!)
    "Nothing but Winnebagos trailering yuppy bikes, dentists trying to act like hardcore bikers."
    Guess I'll fit right in then!

On the Sturgis rally official website it does clarify that permit holders are good to go. Since more than likely there will be alcohol involved while I'm there, I more than likely won't be carrying at all times anyway.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Been awhile ('96) but I've been there (all reports says it's grown geometrically even since then). Rode there on a Sportster with peanut tank, no windshield and 2" lowered suspension. Changed a rocker box gasket in the middle of a converted cow pasture (Hog Heaven Camp Ground). Re jetted the carb (it's 4000 feet higher than here, I had no low end on the high performance Sporty).

Use common sense (we were on a street in front of a bar when a group of Hells Angels rode in.... we'd been in the bar, a group of Bandito's were in there -bad blood between these two clubs). It was a rather "tense" time (we didn't hang around to be spectators).

Things to make sure you do while there:

Ride to "The Faces" (Mount Rushmore). Also catch the Crazy Horse Monument (a work in progress, scheduled completion is I think still decades off!).

Ride Spearfish Canyon (awesome beauty!).

Go to Deadwood (take the canyon route, far to beautiful to miss). While in Deadwood, learn the town's history a bit (a fire took down an entire side of the main drag many years back.... they rebuilt, moving the street to the opposite side of the remaining side of the block (front becomes rear). You can play Blackjack in the same saloon (roughly the same room) where Wild Bill Hickok was killed holding the "dead man's hand".

If you're up to a bit further out, head over to Devil's Tower in Wyoming (I think it was about 120 miles?). Many places are within about 60 miles, so there is substantial riding to be done.

The races/hill climb I would guess are still being held.

Have fun, watch your alcohol consumption and watch out for the myriad of idiots (they're everywhere) and "tough guy's". Keep your wits about you, stay with friends and you should be fine. Once was probably enough for me. Maybe if I ever get a bigger bike (still have that customized Sporty!).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I still go to Sturgis, but usually I only spend a night in the actually city. There are many smaller towns nearby that are probably more like how Sturgis was back in the day. I spend my time cruising out and town hopping these places. I always end up finding new things that I hadn't seen on previous trips. Plus, I think that's part of the whole adventure of riding out to explore new places. Get yourself lost and end up finding an awesome hunting lodge in the middle of nowhere that serves excellent burgers with a view.

I have friends who live in Spearfish and have told me that cc is ok and suggested.

Yeah, you gots to do Sturgis at least once before you die..it's hot, it's loud, and it's crowded! There is some good riding but again, being crowded means LOTS of traffic! It is over rated tho..was alot more fun 20 years ago!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Distinguished Member
    If you have never been there, and you LOVE to bike, by all means GO!!!!

Don't spend a lot of time in Sturgis, do the main street walk to see all the different bikes, shop for t-shirts, and most of all, take in the people watching. If you are determined to get into trouble, you will find it, but if you mind your own business you will not have a problem. Security on main street is everywhere, usually 4 big, armed LEO's, and they do not mess around. If told to do something I would not expect them to tell you twice.

Get out of Sturgis and ride the Iron Mountain road, Custer State Park, Deadwood, Spearfish canyon. Rapid City is a nice town. More to see and do than you will get done in a week.

I have been going on and off sense about 1975, last trip was in 2006. The years I miss the rally I feel like I missed the best part of summer. In 2006 the wife and I hopped on the Honda, pulled a trailer behind loaded with tents, sleeping gear, and clothing for the trip and had a wonderful time.

Hope to be able to go this year again. Enjoy your trip, cause you will be back.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Custer State Park
    Oh, I forgot that one. Needles in Custer Park is amazing!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, you have to see Sturgis at least once. Some never come back again, some never miss it again. It's really not that scary like it was 30 yrs ago, I will walk down any street and most alleys there at night, no problem. As someone stated alot of the smaller towns are really becoming the new "thing" but since I work in a bike shop I never get the chance to check out the other towns (not much time off during rally) Also check out Nemo road and Vanocker canyon, they are awesome roads that are often overlooked (by bikers and LEO's alike)

Firestar,
    I can attest to the fact that nemo rd is AWESOME... I lived on Nemo Rd. for 7 years! The police are NEVER out there. It's a great road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links