Indiana..I read you can drink and carry?

This is a discussion on Indiana..I read you can drink and carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 22RSSIX In the two years that I have lived in Indiana I have only seen one a news report of a shooting ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indiana..I read you can drink and carry?

Quote Originally Posted by 22RSSIX View Post
    In the two years that I have lived in Indiana I have only seen one a news report of a shooting at a bar. It had nothing to do with a LTCH holder.

I carry into bars and I have a drink but I cut myself off after two since I have to drive.

If you follow the laws of the state then I see no problems with carry in a bar. You just have to know your limits. which I do and I dont see having a problem with it.

Now that I moved to Indianapolis I am sure we will be at the bars and downtown more and I will not leave my gun at home just because we may stop at a bar and have a drink.
    They don't make the news, but there are a WHOLE LOT of gun incidents, including shootings, at bars in Indianapolis. It only makes the news when someone is seriously hurt or killed, or of course, if it involves an Indiana Pacer....again.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    This is complete BS.

At least in Nevada. As I posted above:

This happened about two weeks ago:May 26, 2008 Winnemucca police statement on bar shootings
    Winnemucca police statement on bar shootings | www.rgj.com | Reno Gazette-Journal

No mention of how much if any the "Reno man" may have had to drink. It was just "a justifiable homicide as outlined in Nevada Revised Statute 200.120 and 200.160."

Ken

Not complete BS maybe in Navada... 1 out of 50

Irrespective of whether you're legally disallowed to drink and carry, ask yourself if you'll be able to withstand the legal scrutiny if a situation occurs in which your application of bad judgment played a part, and in which you have to explain how the drinking had little to do with that. To the extent you have no problem with that eventuality, drink away. It's really that simple.

For myself, I can't see what argument would hold water in claiming that drinking didn't impair my judgment or contribute to the bad outcome. So, for me, I don't drink and carry. I don't drink much at all, anyway, so it's easily accomplished.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by JG01 View Post
    Not complete BS maybe in Navada... 1 out of 50
    It is Nevada.

I challenge you to cite a case (like I did) where an otherwise legal shoot was found not to be OK because the guy who legally defended himself, or his loved one, was found guilty based on having had a drink.

Good luck. I say again BS.

Ken

I challenge you to cite a case (like I did) where an otherwise legal shoot was found not to be OK because the guy who legally defended himself, or his loved one, was found guilty based on having had a drink.
    Drinking doesn't mean guilt. But it doesn't help the case.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Drinking doesn't mean guilt. But it doesn't help the case.
    ccw9mm, you are right. It doesn't necessarily hurt the case either.

This holier then thou, you may not touch a drop, crap is just that. If you cannot have a drink and still behave like an adult, DON"T DRINK. Leave the rest of us, who are adults alone.

Ken

ccw9mm, you are right. It doesn't necessarily hurt the case either.
    Didn't imply it hurts. Rather, I simply said it can't help. That's about as "holy" as it gets, at least from this corner.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Didn't imply it hurts. Rather, I simply said it can't help. That's about as "holy" as it gets, at least from this corner.
    Can't help if you're Jewish, or Christian. or tall, or short, or skinney, or fat. Just doesn't matter then. HUH.

Ken

Can't help if you're Jewish, or Christian. or tall, or short, or skinney, or fat. Just doesn't matter then. HUH.

Drinking is generally understood to impair judgment at some point for people, which cannot be said about these other traits. In that sense, they don't matter, because on the point being contested they don't contribute to an acknowledged risk of impaired judgment.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

JD
    Administrator

Administrator
    I don't think alcohol would necessarily lose your criminal trial by itself, but it most certainly will cost you the civil trial.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Drinking is generally understood to impair judgment at some point for people, which cannot be said about these other traits. In that sense, they don't matter, because on the point being contested they don't contribute to an acknowledged risk of impaired judgment.
    Also true. And can you show me where the fact that you cite has determined an adverse outcome in a situation where someone legitamately acted in self defense in an appropriate way? In a State where the CCW laws don't prohibit having a drink?

Sure, if you go out and get drunk and start a rukus and shoot someone you will be in trouble. My point is that if you do this while sober you will be in the same trouble. It is not about alcohol. It is about acting like an adult.

The guy who came into the bar in Winnemucca and started shooting people, killing two, was probably sober. The guy who stopped him, shot and killed him, probably had had a drink or two. Who was the bad guy and who was the good guy?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't think alcohol would necessarily lose your criminal trial by itself, but it most certainly will cost you the civil trial.
    Once again, the doom prediction. Can you cite a case? Or are you, and everyone else, just making this up?

Ken

If someone is responsible enough to carry a concealed weapon, then they ought to be responsible enough to make their own decisions. Personally, drinking and carrying in public just doesn't make sense to me. My state requires an eight hour class and proficiency test for permit holders. Those states that do not don't make sense to me either, but then again---that's just my opinion. The term drinking to me means more than just a beer with a meal or a couple for that matter. Just like knowing the limitations of your caliber or firearm----know your other limitations as well and you'll be a well rounded individual and never question yourself.

Drunks with guns are just as bad as drunks with cars - no good can come of it. However, enjoying a beer or whatever while armed should not be a problem. If you are safe operating a projectile weighing a ton and a half, you should be egually safe controlling one weighing only 230g. In my state I can't have even a drop of alchohl and carry legally, but if I disarm, I can drink up to a .08 blood-level and drive anywhere I want, even right down your street. It's stupid, but it's the law.

Now, suppose you are at home enjoying a bit more cheer than would be legal if you were driving, or even if you were drunker than 87 hoot owls, and some goblins crash though your front door. Do you:

A. Let them rape the wife and then murder you, your wife, and kids.
    B. Call 911 and wait and wait and wait while the afore mentioned thugs do the things listed in A.
    C. Do you and Mr. Mossberg solve the problem right then and there?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links