Indiana..I read you can drink and carry? - Page 4

Indiana..I read you can drink and carry?

This is a discussion on Indiana..I read you can drink and carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CowboyKen And can you show me where the fact that you cite ... Originally Posted by CowboyKen Or are you, and everyone ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 55 of 55

Thread: Indiana..I read you can drink and carry?

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,401
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    And can you show me where the fact that you cite ...
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    Or are you, and everyone else, just making this up?
    Sorry. I'm not in the legal case lookup/citing business.

    It is not about alcohol. It is about acting like an adult.
    Yes, but a point could be made of the degree of impairment, irrespective of the activity being engaged in, if it goes sideways. Simply, if the claim is being made of bad judgment being an element of a case, and one were engaging in an activity that impairs judgment, it could be held a relevant point. This ain't rocket science, here. Pick up any first-year law book and find discussions on 'relevance' and the citations you want.

    Didn't say 'would.' Didn't say 'has.' I simply said: it could. Either adjust behavior or ignore ... choosing like an adult must. Leave it at that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.


  2. #47
    Member Array CowboyKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Sorry. I'm not in the legal case lookup/citing business.
    Could this be because there aren't any? And everyone who is so pro 2A and prohibishionist is just making it up?

    Yes, but a point could be made of the degree of impairment, irrespective of the activity being engaged in, if it goes sideways. Simply, if the claim is being made of bad judgment being an element of a case, and one were engaging in an activity that impairs judgment, it could be held a relevant point. This ain't rocket science, here. Pick up any first-year law book and find discussions on 'relevance' and the citations you want.

    Didn't say 'would.' Didn't say 'has.' I simply said: it could. Either adjust behavior or ignore ... choosing like an adult must. Leave it at that.
    You have come a good distance from "Irrespective of whether you're legally disallowed to drink and carry, ask yourself if you'll be able to withstand the legal scrutiny if a situation occurs in which your application of bad judgment played a part, and in which you have to explain how the drinking had little to do with that. To the extent you have no problem with that eventuality, drink away. It's really that simple."

    Now you only need to take one more step to conclude that it is unlikely that there would be a case, "where an otherwise legal shoot was found not to be OK because the guy who legally defended himself, or his loved one, was found guilty based on having had a drink."

    Ken

  3. #48
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,401
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    Could this be because there aren't any?
    In the general case of judgment impairment being a point made in court, absolutely not. In the specific defense-related cases you're striving to have citations for, who's to say short of doing the research?

    Am still stating the simple fact that drinking and judgment are generally accepted as being negatively correlated, at certain levels. Haven't changed positions, nor treatment. Rather, am simply attempting to speak in alternative terms to those seeming to not understand a simple point. Leave it. Nobody's peeing in your Cheerios, here.

    Out.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  4. #49
    DC Founder
    Array Bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20,045
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    Once again, the doom prediction. Can you cite a case? Or are you, and everyone else, just making this up?
    I don't think that's a "doom prediction", I think that it's pretty accurate. In the litigious society we live in right now, you probably will wind up in a civil action, even if you avoid the criminal one. At this point, it's pretty common knowledge that alcohol is a target like cigarettes. If anyone can blame anything on alcohol, they will.

    That being said, alcohol can impair your judgment and probably should be looked at closely, in a defensive situation, as a factor. Ignoring this will be at your own peril. Me? If I have my gun on me, there's no alcohol in me, at least outside of my own home....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

  5. #50
    Member Array CowboyKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Me? If I have my gun on me, there's no alcohol in me, at least outside of my own home....
    Maybe you can explain how it is different in you own home from outside of it. If you've had a drink and are in your own home will you be less guilty or less liable then if you are out and shoot someone under otherwise the same circumstances?

    The whole premise seems to be that if I go out to dinner and have a glass of wine with dinner and in the parking lot of the restaurant after dinner, a couple of thugs attack my wife and me, to rob, rape, kill us, and I shoot them that I will somehow be in trouble. I don't think so, and I am willing to live with that.

    Ken

  6. #51
    Member Array HKtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    97
    One of the most basic of rules of firearm safety, don't drink and handle a gun.

  7. #52
    DC Founder
    Array Bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20,045
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    Maybe you can explain how it is different in you own home from outside of it. If you've had a drink and are in your own home will you be less guilty or less liable then if you are out and shoot someone under otherwise the same circumstances?
    Maybe it wouldn't make any difference, but it could make a difference in an investigation (or trial) that I was in my own home minding my business when a defensive situation presented itself. If you think that an investigation is not approached differently between a homeowner involved in a shooting with an intruder at their home and that same person involved in a defensive situation in a bar or in a bar parking lot, IMO you are wrong.


    The whole premise seems to be that if I go out to dinner and have a glass of wine with dinner and in the parking lot of the restaurant after dinner, a couple of thugs attack my wife and me, to rob, rape, kill us, and I shoot them that I will somehow be in trouble. I don't think so, and I am willing to live with that.
    Nobody has said that it does automatically mean you are in trouble. It is a factor that will subject you to much more scrutiny. I can't believe that you don't understand this to be true, whether you believe it logical or not. You will be under much closer scrutiny by an investigator and you will be much more likely to be successfully sued in civil court by the family of the dearly departed.

    If you want to carry while you're drinking, be my guest, but don't be surprised at the reality of the situation should you wind up having to shoot someone in a bar parking lot. I wish you luck on that. You may not need it, but then again....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

  8. #53
    Member Array JG01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, Virginia
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by HKtexas View Post
    One of the most basic of rules of firearm safety, don't drink and handle a gun.

    Amen!

  9. #54
    Member Array CowboyKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by JG01 View Post
    Amen!
    Ah, we have finally gotten to the crux of the matter.

    The religious conviction: Thou Shall Not Drink and Handle a Gun.

    Far be it for me to challenge anyone's religious beliefs.

    Ken

  10. #55
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,364
    Well I think that's enough for this go around of "Drinking While Carrying", better to close this one now.

    Bottom line is know your laws, it varies from state to state on weather it's permissible to drink while carrying.


    My parting thought on the matter is this:

    You are responsible for your own actions. As long as you're within the law, does it really matter what other people think?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Off duty LEO carry in Indiana
    By glockjho15 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: September 29th, 2009, 02:20 AM
  2. Can you carry concealed into a Fla bar not to drink
    By gilfo in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: August 27th, 2009, 11:14 PM
  3. Can I carry in Indiana?
    By griffin7 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 20th, 2008, 06:53 AM
  4. Indiana carry question
    By ElMonoDelMar in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 30th, 2006, 02:34 AM
  5. Carry options for wife---I've read and read and cant find anything decent?
    By Mighty HD in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: January 15th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Search tags for this page

can i conceal carry in a bar in indiana
,

can you carry a gun in a bar in indiana

,

can you carry a gun into a bar in indiana

,
concealed carry indiana bar
,
concealed carry indiana bars
,
indiana ccw bars
,
indiana ccw in bars
,
indiana ccw laws
,

indiana concealed carry alcohol

,
indiana concealed carry bars
,
indiana concealed carry in bars
,
indiana concealed carry laws alcohol
Click on a term to search for related topics.