Women & Men - Different Ideas Behind Carry - Page 2

Women & Men - Different Ideas Behind Carry

This is a discussion on Women & Men - Different Ideas Behind Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry because violence begets violence. I hope that any one who uses violence against me begets much more violence than they ever knew existed....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Women & Men - Different Ideas Behind Carry

Senior Moderator
    I carry because violence begets violence.

I hope that any one who uses violence against me begets much more violence than they ever knew existed.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

This is obviously a touchy topic. While it is clear that men and women are wired differently that does not mean that they are without a strong idealogy. One only needs to look at various political movements to see that women have no trouble getting involved in a cause. There are obviously varying degrees of logic, emotion, masculinity and femininity (is that a word? ). I have known married couples where the woman was far more masculine than the husband.

I would say each person is an individual and as such has a unique set of experiences and upbringing that leads them to carry. Only put a pigeon in a pigeon hole...

Now I pity the poor BG that tries to make my wife a victim. She is 120 lbs and very feminine. That said she will absolutely kick some #$% if crossed.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

aw... lance22 now you went and stepped in it this time.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I carry because my ideology is that my life is worth more to me and to my family than anyone else and I have a right to protect it. Protect it I will.
    Ergo, your philosophy is =/> the value of your(individual) life. That is a traditionally "male" motivation. Women tend to "connect and nurture" in a crisis, men tend to react.

Historically both of these responses have been mitigated by environmental factors and culture. Most cultures have evolved little beyond the feudal model, in which the "citizen" is to endure whatever circumstance is forced upon them for the sake of the community (closer to the "connect and nurture" model.)

To really slide the knife home on this, the cultures that have consistantly maintained the primacy of the individual and the accountability of society to the same(Vs. primacy of the collective) are: Western European and Mongolian/Georgians.

Everyone else is a bunch of women!

Quote Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
    aw... lance22 now you went and stepped in it this time.
    LOL you may be correct! Sure didn't mean to ... just something I've observed over the past ten years, that the women I know who carry have specific needs, don't talk politics or guns, but want protection. And of course the men like myself don't shut up about guns / politics and can't point to a specific threat. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see how it flies. Obviously no one size fits all.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Ergo, your philosophy is =/> the value of your(individual) life. That is a traditionally "male" motivation. Women tend to "connect and nurture" in a crisis, men tend to react.

Historically both of these responses have been mitigated by environmental factors and culture. Most cultures have evolved little beyond the feudal model, in which the "citizen" is to endure whatever circumstance is forced upon them for the sake of the community (closer to the "connect and nurture" model.)

To really slide the knife home on this, the cultures that have consistantly maintained the primacy of the individual and the accountability of society to the same(Vs. primacy of the collective) are: Western European and Mongolian/Georgians.

Everyone else is a bunch of women!

What does this say about my connect and nurture spirit?..

LOL.. Screw everyone else

They should'a brought their own gosh darned guns.

My favorite history lesson: around 1187, the British sued several Celtic clans for peace...because the Celtic women were too brutal in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    LOL you may be correct! Sure didn't mean to ... just something I've observed over the past ten years, that the women I know who carry have specific needs, don't talk politics or guns, but want protection. And of course the men like myself don't shut up about guns / politics and can't point to a specific threat. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see how it flies. Obviously no one size fits all.
    LOL Run, Forrest! Run!

I think its more about the rolls we play from our environments growing up
    Like military families where the influences could be strong for both male and female to lean towards as you put it ideology of citizenship and freedom.

Where as other families may lean towards more stereotypical rolls set down by previous generations of male and female such as you point out in your own observations

But I really do not think it is a true gender issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    ....and therein lies the most basic difference between the male and female psyche. Generally speaking, men gravitate towards logic in their thoughts, decisions, etc, and women gravitate towards emotion.
    This is Machiavelli's timeless "Classic vs Romantic Thinkers" argument.

Classic thinkers consider logic and reason first, THEN weigh in emotion.

Romantic thinkers react to emotion and impulse first, THEN weigh in logic and ration.

90% of men are classical thinkers and 90% of women are romantic thinkers - there obviously are exceptions. (Lima's post above obviously demonstrates she's in the 10% ) I definitely don't mean to sound sexist, but I believe Machiavelli was correct in this analysis.

I also think many people don't believe "it could happen to them" until there's a tragedy close to them; something happens to a friend, family member, a neighbor, or even something eye-opening that happens in their own hometown. Then it starts to become "real" and they open up to the thought process of self preservation.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

VIP Member
    I certainly can't speak for all men and women, I can only speak for myself and my wife since we both CCW:

Me- I CCW to protect myself and family.

Her- She CCW to protect herself and family.

Admittedly I may sense I have a stronger desire, role, inclination, skill or whatever, but we both have the same philosophy. Neither of us look to cause trouble, nor do we intend to be helpless victims.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Sixto is correct,in my opinion.Also,everyone is scared of something,some people are just too weak to admit they are afraid.

Philosophical discussions we will have, opinions we will spout, this post is like a stream of consciousness.

Ideology and philosophy should have their own forum or sub forum.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I carry because violence begets violence.

I hope that any one who uses violence against me begets much more violence than they ever knew existed.
    I you don't mind, I going to borrow that saying to use when dealing with anti-gun folks.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    I you don't mind, I going to borrow that saying to use when dealing with anti-gun folks.
    It was a Jeff Cooper quote originally:
    "One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that 'violence begets violence.' I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure--and in some cases I have--that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy." - Jeff Cooper, Jan. 1975

And a great quote it was.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links