Traveling to KY

This is a discussion on Traveling to KY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are the main rules of carry in KY. I'm from TN, and I know I can carry there, just not sure of the laws. ...

Thread: Traveling to KY

Traveling to KY

What are the main rules of carry in KY. I'm from TN, and I know I can carry there, just not sure of the laws.

Main things I'm worried about:

1. CCW or HCP? - Is carry only concealed, or can it also be open?
    2. Restaurants - Can you carry if they serve alcohol and you are NOT drinking?
    3. Duty to inform - If pulled over, am I required to let the officer know I'm carrying?
    4. Anything else considered pertinent?

Thanks in advance,

vanDutton

2. Remove Ads

Kentucky is very welcoming to those that choose to arm themselves in a responible manner...

1.) We are an OC state. Many Kentuckians are openly armed. Our moderators will not appreciate discourse regarding such on this forum, though.

2.) Your other questions are answered below. I will add a note: DO NOT PUSH IT, FOR VIOLATORS ARE AGGRESSIVELY PROSECUTED.

A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:

Police station or sheriff's office.
    Detention facility, prison or jail.
    Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
    County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
    Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
    General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
    Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
    Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
    Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
    Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
    Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.
    In addition to the above restrictions, units of state and local governments and postsecondary education facilities (colleges, universities, technical schools and community colleges) have the authority to limit the carrying of concealed weapons on property owned or controlled by them (KRS 237.115). You should check with units of state and local government as well as postsecondary education facilities prior to carrying a concealed weapon on their property.

Also, KRS 527.070 prohibits unlawful possession (whether carried openly or concealed) of a weapon on school property, except for certain specified exceptions. KRS 244.125 prohibits loaded firearms (concealed or otherwise) in places where alcohol is sold by the drink, except for certain specified exceptions.

In addition, Kentucky law does not prohibit the owners of private premises from excluding persons carrying firearms. Failure to vacate private premises when asked to do so could result in a criminal trespass charge.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Thank for the info.

VIP Member
    Ya'll come see us... I'm so spoiled in Ky, I never look forward to going to Tn. I go to Nashville quite often.
    Here you can open carry at 18 with no permit, carry in city parks , carry in restauants that serve 51% food. You do not have to inform officers. Our permit allows you to carry batons, brass knuckles , knives , numbchucks, just about anything. Cmon up and get spoiled.....

So basically no bars or gov't buildings, correct? I'm just coming up for a wedding and then headed back, possibly some food in there somewhere. If in a restaurant, do I need to open carry so they know not to serve me (I don't drink, anyway), as in some other states?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    This is very interesting, especially the part about dispensing alcohol. I am going with the better half to the Bluegrass State the end of this month. While she is off doing her business thing, I am going to tour some distilleries.

I don't know if I can carry in the tasting rooms, based on the information I have....

Oh, bother....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vanDutton View Post
    So basically no bars or gov't buildings, correct? I'm just coming up for a wedding and then headed back, possibly some food in there somewhere. If in a restaurant, do I need to open carry so they know not to serve me (I don't drink, anyway), as in some other states?
    Yeah baisically no Govt buildings and no "bars". You cant open carry or conceal carry in the bar area of a restaurant. You can go in a restaurant like O Charleys, but can't go to the bar. Pretty much anywhere you want to eat is ok to carry.
    It's not ilegal to carry in a store thats posted, they can only ask you to leave if they notice the gun. If you don't leave, it's tresspassing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    This is very interesting, especially the part about dispensing alcohol. I am going with the better half to the Bluegrass State the end of this month. While she is off doing her business thing, I am going to tour some distilleries.

I don't know if I can carry in the tasting rooms, based on the information I have....

Oh, bother....
    I doubt very seriously you can carry in a distillery. I wouldn't try it.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post

Oh, bother....
    Actually, none of the distilleries on the Bourbon tour post anything regarding carrying on the premesis. It is worth noting that it is pretty impossible to actually imbibe enough booze on ANY of these tours to get any sort of buzz, let alone get drunk. You'll be tasting, not shooting back round after round. Technically, the distilleries aren't places where alcohol is sold. Although a few of them do sell items from the gift shop, those shops aren't necessarily part of the tour.

As a suggestion, you might stay in Bardstown, as it is centrally located to Heaven Hill, Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey, Four Roses and Jim Beam.

Good luck!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Just a bit of levity here---I'm pretty certain the cops take a dim view of carrying at the site of your own distillery. Once a pretty popular way of earning a living in these parts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Actually, none of the distilleries on the Bourbon tour post anything regarding carrying on the premesis. It is worth noting that it is pretty impossible to actually imbibe enough booze on ANY of these tours to get any sort of buzz, let alone get drunk. You'll be tasting, not shooting back round after round. Technically, the distilleries aren't places where alcohol is sold. Although a few of them do sell items from the gift shop, those shops aren't necessarily part of the tour.

As a suggestion, you might stay in Bardstown, as it is centrally located to Heaven Hill, Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey, Four Roses and Jim Beam.

Good luck!
    Good point..

Links