Utah not holding to the law

This is a discussion on Utah not holding to the law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I applied last May and didn't get my permit 'til early October. This was when they had a huge backlog and hadn't hired more people ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Utah not holding to the law

I applied last May and didn't get my permit 'til early October. This was when they had a huge backlog and hadn't hired more people yet.

Be patient.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Utah is doing a good job. Their fee is half of what I had to pay my home state. I waited about five weeks or so before they cashed my check and then just about 60 days from there and it showed up in the mail. The local CCW Instructors here said Utah is very backlogged because it's the 5yr renewal for everyone who got theirs the first time around (or something like that).

Look at it this way; Utah isn't sandbaggin because they don't want people to have permits, they are one of the most CCW friendly states.

This is directly from BCI's website ...

Application Process Time Frame
    BCI is receiving numerous telephone calls, emails, etc. from applicants wanting to know the status of their
    concealed permit application. BCI personnel are processing applications within the 60 days mandated by
    Utah statute. Please inform your students not to call BCI as to check the status of their pending
    application. If your student has not received his/her permit after 60 days has passed or received any
    correspondence from BCI, then have your student contact BCI to locate the problem.
    Most applicants pay using a credit card or by check. The date of their cancelled check or credit on their
    credit card indicates what day BCI received the permit application
    . Applicants need to reference that
    date as the start of the processing time, not the date the application was mailed.

I think I would give them a few more days and then give them a call. I know they have hired a couple more ppl to help out with the projected 40,000 apps this year. I also remember hearing on the news that they were talking about giving in-state applications priority, but that doesn't seem to have happened, it's been almost 60 days since they cashed my check and I am still waiting.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    BCI screwed a lot of Canadians who applied, the NRA tried to help a little but there was little that could be done, I don't know the details but they have a policy against issuing to Canadians that has no support in law, or at least it did not at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by GOPony View Post
    I sent my application in March 27 i was told around a month ago that they received my application april 7, the check was cashed April 11. From what i know about the utah law is they must issue the permit within 60 days. Today is the 60th day since my application was received. I emailed them regarding my status and was told they are behind but should get to me in a couple of weeks? What are my options? The law states they must issue in 60 days (am i wrong?), yet they are not following it what is a individual to do?
    I don't think they violated the law yet. I think you're 60 days are up on May 10. My transaction cleared on March 31, but the description on the transaction had a date of March 27. I got my CCW on June 27. It should be there by Tuesday.

Let us know when it comes.

I'd cut them some slack. They (and FL) are the closest thing to universal reciprocity in the country. If other states acted like them, we wouldn't be looking for a federal CCW law.
    Just plan ahead!
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I know that in some states like kansas and texas you have to have a resident permit to carry in you're home state and a non resident from another state will not fly
    Are you sure about this, vis-a-vis Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I'd cut them some slack. They (and FL) are the closest thing to universal reciprocity in the country. If other states acted like them, we wouldn't be looking for a federal CCW law.
    Just plan ahead!
    Yeah! The Utah nonresident CCW is one of the most sought after permits. The price is right too. Their Department of Public of Safety is trying to terminate nonresident permits. Get them now if you can. The good thing is that they have some politicians that will fight this to the end.

I can't get a CCW in my home state. California is a may issue state and they have told me that they will not issue one in my name. I won't do anything to ruin the Utah nonresident CCW. If it takes more than 60 days, then it does. I am just happy that I can get one.

Thanks for the info everyone. I agree that Utah has an outstanding permit (cost/time/etc) and I am sure they are working hard to process all the applications in a timely manner. My initial reaction when i got the email saying it was going to be a few more weeks was to send one back or to call citing the 60 day law and try to move my application along. However after thinking about it over the weekend, i think i will wait another week and then try to call them. I guess i look at it like sending food back to the kitchen, you don't want to tick of the cook because you never know what he will do with your food. That being said it sure would be nice if they posted what application dates they are currently processing. This would help cut down on their calls and emails i am sure. All their website says is that they are processing within the 60 days allowed by law, which if was the case would be good enough, but if it is not i think they should expect calls. After all my initial reason for emailing them was because i have had mail problems in a new subdivision and wanted to make sure it was not lost.

If you are unhappy with the turn around time ask for your money back and go elsewhere.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

lol you can't get your money back. Their application states that it is non refundable and rightfully so as they have cost associated with processing, background checks etc. I will try to be patient, i am starting another application in MO for that permit as well. I probably should have started that one a while back, but didn't for various reasons (mainly having to go to the sheriffs office which is not easy for me to get to during the day). None the less what i had hoped for out this post was some suggestions on what i could do, clearly the answer is to just wait, which is fine at least for now

VIP Member
    Now you got it. Were all in the same boat. Good Luck.

Georgia code also has a 60 day limit on the issuance of a firearm license and, although less now than in the recent past, is routinely ignored. I've heard stories of people in my county waiting more than two years for a GFL.

GoPony, I agree with you. Its funny how everyday citizens must hold to the letter of the law, but the bureaucrats don't.

DukAlmighty, you can add GA and many other states to the list of those that will NOT allow their residents to carry on an out of state license. I've heard before of MO citizens carrying on a non-res license from another state so it must be allowable in their statutes.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

MO honors non res permits. Actually MO's CCW law is excellent which is why i will end up getting their permit as well, as i like to support the law by adding one more person to the list of permit holders.

After i get MO permit and assuming my Utah one shows up "in the next couple of weeks" i will judge the states i have coverage in and then decided if i need to get another one for specific states that i travel to

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPony View Post
    I sent my application in March 27 i was told around a month ago that they received my application april 7, the check was cashed April 11. From what i know about the utah law is they must issue the permit within 60 days.
    60 work days?

60 / 5 = 12
    12 x 7 = 84
    April 11 +84 days = June 30 ?

Plus any state vacation days.

That 60 day limit is useful if the state has developed a pattern of forcing people to wait a year or two to issue in order to discourage carry. I would not be after them otherwise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links