Utah not holding to the law

This is a discussion on Utah not holding to the law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sent my application in March 27 i was told around a month ago that they received my application april 7, the check was cashed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Utah not holding to the law

Utah not holding to the law

I sent my application in March 27 i was told around a month ago that they received my application april 7, the check was cashed April 11. From what i know about the utah law is they must issue the permit within 60 days. Today is the 60th day since my application was received. I emailed them regarding my status and was told they are behind but should get to me in a couple of weeks? What are my options? The law states they must issue in 60 days (am i wrong?), yet they are not following it what is a individual to do?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    As a practical matter, your only option is to be patient. You could perhaps call a state legislator from your district and ask for assistance. But if they (the issuer) is asking for just a couple of weeks, maybe the easiest thing is to just cut them some slack, and don't stress about it.

Wait the two weeks, plus another 4 or 5 days for the mail to do its thing. If you have not received it by then, call them. Then if not satisfied, contact your rep.

It is like everything else today in customer service; not very good. The exceptions being a few of the holster makers and better gun manufacturers.

VIP Member
    The people at UT BCI are doing a good job. They issue alot of permits to Non-Res. I heard they hired two extra people to help clear the backlog. I was the same way checking the mail box every day, like a Kid waiting for Christmas. Give them a few extra days if they need it. If you call it may slow the process down a bit, Good Luck.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I didn't look into it, but the "law" part sounds a little fishy. They may have worded it incorrectly or something, but putting a law into effect of that sort doesn't seem to make sense to me.

From what I've heard, they have gotten much faster on their turnarounds. When I got my UT permit, I waited well over 100 days, if I reccall correctly.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

lol patient? what it is. not one of my stronger qualities. Its funny how the people must hold to the letter of the law, but the law makers don't.

By the way i am an out of state applicant, calling my local legistelator will just get me a laugh. I thought they had to issue it without the back ground checks if they could not get it done in time

Here in Texas the law says 60 days from receipt of pin or whatever but they are so backlogged they are going over 90 days,be patient what ya gonna do go have them arrested LOL.The problem is they are getting lots of requests which is a good thing because more people are packing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Hi, 60 days for you is around June 10 from when your check was cashed on April 11. My non-Res was around 55 days after the check was cashed.

as i read the law it was from the time they received it, now they could claim they received it that day, but actually utah has a receipt process in place that they date each app and what they told me they received it april 7th

The term issued may be used to their advantage as well. They may have well issued it, as far as their paper work and computers show, but that may not mean that it has been printed and/or mailed.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Wow...someone out of state complaining (and I do not see it any other way) because another state's CCW applications are backlogged?? And you think someone in that state should pay a penalty...is that right? Hold someone's feet to the fire? What Congressman can I call???

I personally think it is good a backlog (many more applicants) and I also suspect when the law was written, the writers didn't anticipate the so many applicants at once. That being said, although it is frustrating, sometimes it is best just to sit on one's hands awhile longer, attempt to understand the other shoe, and keep the faith.

I guess you could always cancel your order...

Rick

see i thought about that to until the email they sent me said we should get to processing your application in a few weeks. Look if it was a few days, or one item they wanted to wait on, etc. not a big deal but when they say a few weeks, it tells me well maybe a few weeks, maybe even longer. When they emailed me a month ago they told me they would process by june 7th. Now it is June 21st, whats next

well i figured i would get the out of state comment. i have applied for my missouri permit as well. but did wait to do it until it became apparent the utah one was not going to be as quick as advertised. I did not do the utah one because missouri is backlogged i did for a variety of reasons, one being a state that i go to that missouri (at least at the time) was not honored.

Your right i am complaining. I beleive in following the rules as they are written and i have. I have also paid my fees for the service they are providing. Am i really wrong to expect them to be held to the same standard

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    so happy it only took a week in AZ. 60 days... i'd lose my mind.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    Pratice your CC in the house. When you get the permit's you will be all set to go.

DC Founder
    The time limits legislators put on license performance are called "licensing time frames" and generally, the individual agency is required to issue the permit/license within the time allowed or they pay a fine of sorts to the State treasury for not making the guideline. They don't pay you and I doubt that they waive the background. Complaining does nothing but get someone's boss asking questions (that they probably already know the answer to) and slow down the whole process....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I know that in some states like kansas and texas you have to have a resident permit to carry in you're home state and a non resident from another state will not fly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links