When a Carry Gun Fails

This is a discussion on When a Carry Gun Fails within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If i was a Cop i would deff carry a back up to my primary would be my worst fear to have a gun break ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When a Carry Gun Fails

If i was a Cop i would deff carry a back up to my primary would be my worst fear to have a gun break or bad guy fighting for it ...

Seen a few vids were bad guy gets cops gun and cop shoots him with backup

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    As most of you know from previous threads I have had a Totally Custom Rock River Arms 1911, built from the ground up to my exact specs, parts and springs even. (not to mention the custom Bob Ford 1 serial number), Has blown up 3 times now. Once during a qualification that I was instructing. In demonstrating a double tap the second round blew the chamber out of the ejection port. The second time was during an NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor Development Course. Again the second shot of the double tap went off like a twelve gauge. The entire barrel hood wound up in the next zip code. The third time, just a couple of months ago, was during a steel challenge match. I had hit 2 steel plates and when I fired at the third the gun made an unusual report. The bullet struck the steel plate and was heard by several other shooters. I stopped shooting and ejected the magazine, smoke poured forth. I looked at the barrel hood and there was a crack going down the entire length.

I have been firing weapons for over 40 years and have never had a gun blow up on me, that's including M-60's that the barrels were so hot they glowed and you could see the tracers whipping out of the molten barrel in all sorts of directions.

I am at a loss to explain why this occured (3 times? give me a break) but the point here is that any gun can fail and as mine did all 3 times was not just practice, it was high pressure competition, and as we all know, that's as close as most of you will ever get to the real thing, (God Willing).

All 3 times the gun was out of commision and useful only as a blunt force object.

At that point in a gunfight, without a backup, you have to learn to run at 1500fps in a wildly zig-zag pattern
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    If my Main 1911 goes down i have a almost identical 1911 to carry only reason there not idental is one is lightweight
    Precisely my situation, Bud. And, one might consider this, which works well with what you're talking about - have one gun for carry, and another identical, or close to it, for the bulk of practice. Saves wear and tear on the carry weapon, and if the carry weapon pukes for some reason, the practice gun can be moved to primary status (and you're already used to it because it has been your main practice weapon!) until the main carry gun is back in action.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

OD*
    acparmed,

the "dirty little coward who shot Mr. Howard, and laid poor Jesse in his grave,"

Not that Bob Ford!?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a Browning Hi Power in 40 or a CZ 52 in 7.65 to carry if my Kahr is out of service, but those things are heavy by comparison.

Lead Moderator
    Well solved my failed carry gun problem, got rid of my PT140 and got a Springfield to replace it. Not sure if I would buy a Taurus product again , due to the Kb I experienced.

1952 - 2006
    Yes OD that'd be me. I used Clint Smith's advice and cheated. I shot him in the back of the head when he was least expecting it, never giving him a chance.

Seriously though, I used to work with a decendant of Jesse's and we had long arguments over the way 'my namesake' shot his ancestor.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Thumbs up Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro

Since all my primary carry guns are 1911's it would seel logical that i would back them up with a .45acp caliber gun. I looked at several revolvers but found them to be too bulky for backup and then found the Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro and all my wishes were answered. I feel that after over 3000 rounds of zero malfunctions, from a gun that out of the box shot accurately and to point of aim, and was extremely cost efficient, not to forget the compact size and 10+1 mag capability.......well I just cant see it getting any better. I have never been a fan of the "plastic" pistol but this one has my vote. It is my around the house carry, primary office/church carry and BUG to all my primary 1911's. Great gun, well made and great price!!
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I've also had a handgun fail.......It was my H&K P7........ The failure was the ammunition, and the gun not being able to feed it properly.......definetly my fault all the way, and thank God is was during a training sesson and not the real thing.

I have several 1911s. Same controls, same holsters, same magazines, same ammo.

I got it covered.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I carry a Ruger revolver. If it breaks I'll throw chunks of ice because Hell will have frozen over. :)

Actually I often carry a NAA mini revolver as my BUG.

If I did have a serious malfunction with the Ruger I would carry my wife's new PT111.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I have six or seven Sigs, and if those all fail, another 40-some handguns to choose from. :)
    Just what I was thinking too......but a few more than that Not as many Sigs as Rfurt though..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Assistant Administrator
    Small caveat here - some may have seen that my SIG was diagnosed finally - in fact I should have been more savvy and realized sooner the problem. Typical (old) engineer - look for complex and overlook the simple!!

For those who didn't know - the problem was greased rails - seemingly worst for some reason with Militec1 grease and still not good with Tetra.

It was after maybe two or three mags of std pressure that the grease was getting ''sticky'' and continued use only made this worse!!! Talk about slide drag - sheesh!

Last clean was fastidious and relube was Militec1, oil - no grease. test rounds fired after that (50 perhaps) - 100%. Yesterday IDPA - 120 or so rounds - 100% and today with son - another perhaps 40 to 50 - still runnin like a dream. This was all with American Eagle but I'd have bet even the S&B would have run.

So - no more grease for the 226, that's for sure!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I would like to change the thought process here, what if it fails "in use", in other words when it matters. I know I don't carry my BUG all the time.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

OD*
    I know I don't carry my BUG all the time.
    Isn't that what a back-up gun is for, in case the primary fails?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links