When a Carry Gun Fails

When a Carry Gun Fails

This is a discussion on When a Carry Gun Fails within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reading about P95's problems with his 226 made me think... if that can happen to a Sig Sauer, any gun can fail! Honestly it doesn't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When a Carry Gun Fails

When a Carry Gun Fails

Reading about P95's problems with his 226 made me think... if that can happen to a Sig Sauer, any gun can fail! Honestly it doesn't get much better than a SIG, so anything less expensive is probably even more susceptible!

Do you have a designated "fill in" in case something like this happens to you? I do. This is part of the reason I was so happy to trade into another XD40. One breaks, I got another one ready to go. Owning two of my primary carry gun is neat like that.

Granted I stumbled into that by luck.

I also recently picked up some cheap stuff that'll let me carry my 686 if I need to. I'm trying to build a complete carry setup for each of my handguns.

A gun is man made and thus always susceptible to problems. How do you prepare for this? Or are you prepared at all? Not everyone is made out of money and has the cash laying around to pick up a spare pistol.

I have various guns to fill in if one goes down but even if i didnt i would have at least one backup around

If my Main 1911 goes down i have a almost identical 1911 to carry only reason there not idental is one is lightweight

Then i could switch to the HK or Glock 17 or a XD SC 9mm

I try to keep everything with enough gear to carry ... Even got a holster for the 500 now i need a speed loader

Well, I altenate my primary carry between my Glock 21 and 22. If both of those fail somehow, I still have a Taurus in .44 Special I acn carry. Though not my first choice, it will do the job.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

i have 3. a bersa .380, s&w649, and a g26. nice thing is the wife has the same guns, so if one them breaks we can always borrow from each other if need be.

I have six or seven Sigs, and if those all fail, another 40-some handguns to choose from. :)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Administrator

"any gun can fail"

That's not normally a problem for most forum type folks who own many (or at least a few other) suitable alternative carry firearms.
    I have others to select from. All are good, tested & trouble free.
    The trick is not to have that one chosen carry gun fail right when it's needed most.
    But, then we're getting onto another thread topic.

I guess the point is that we often (correctly) state that knowing what to do with your gun is paramount rather than the material acquisition of more guns, but sometimes we fail to remember that the laws of the physical universe demand we should possess more than one at times.

If my G26 goes down, I can make do with my G17, though its not real fun to lug around all day.
    Driver carries less then $20 of remorse.

Tis why all my handguns are GLOCK! :)

I have about 6 to choose from and carry set ups can interchange with the CTACS I have...G26 and 27 will carry in the same CTAC for the G19 and 23...and mag cariers are the same...then I have another set up for the 30 and G21 mags...

We should all know that anything man made can break....Im leaning more and more towards 2 gun carry to alleviate this possability.
    Brad B.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    (SNIP) if those all fail, another 40-some handguns to choose from. :)
    Ditto...well, maybe not 40 handguns...but a few others at least.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Last year while we are on a drug bust, and we run after them. I fired a warning shot with my 1911. The first shot was ok but the 2nd shot jammed I was lucky that I have another commander 1911 as a BUG. That experience was an eye opener to my buddies, because most of them don't carry back up guns. Right now I still carry 2 guns as my dutty gun.

Assistant Administrator
    I too am fortunate - plenty of options and may yet have to make a semi permanent swap if 226 has to go back. I am still puzzled as to how a gun which is breaking in nicely, can ''go tight'' the way this one has. We'll see.

Biggest concern obviously is failure when ''in extremis'' - and tho I am not carrying a BUG every day - do when it seems prudent. Fortunately now we are getting into colder weather BUG carry is way less of a problem because clothing makes things so much easier.

With 226 out of the rig for now it'll be 220 instead. But having carried SP, M28, BHP, and others, I will not feel uncomfortable with any back on board. In fact if I have a rig in ''the box'' for my SW99 I may well let it have some duty. Heck, even dear ol' P95 could come out again
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    When I got my carry permit, I had only one handgun and I was a penny-pinching college student. A couple days after I received my permit, my Interarms Walther PPK/S suffered a cracked ejector that locked the slide up tight. I was gunless. Luckily, I've got a gun-happy brother with plenty of spares. He let me borrow his G23, which to me, a new permitholder and inexperienced in carrying concealed, felt like a brick and was difficult to conceal. It took several weeks for Walther to repair the gun, and I traded it for a Kahr K40.

My main carry gun now is either an HK USPc or S&W 640, so if something happens to one, I can always carry the other. I can also carry my BUG (Colt Cobra) as a main if I have to, or I can tote my S&W 66 or CZ 75c.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    my backup for the main CCW piece is my full size USP. I may wind up buying another too. Ya may remember a while back my PT 140 did break, and the USP got to get out this summer.

Superman,
    Just noticed your location. We don't fire warning shots here in the USA. A couple of times I wanted to. I always carry a backup to my duty gun. I've never had one fail, but you never know!!
    str1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links