Dual carry on everyday basis?

This is a discussion on Dual carry on everyday basis? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JerryM But does anyone know of a case where the CHL holder needed a BUG? Or even an extra magazine? Thanks, Jerry ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dual carry on everyday basis?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    But does anyone know of a case where the CHL holder needed a BUG? Or even an extra magazine?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    Dont know about the BUG, but I doubt there is more than one or two. And a spare mag isnt carried for the extra ammo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

As Doc would say "I've got two guns, one for both of ya". I don't carry two, but will have a second in my truck, and if wifie is with me she will have one too. So I guess we carry at least three?
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    A BUG is not just backup if your primary malfunctions or runs out of ammo, but backup for your primary if your primary is harder to bring into action.
    That's why I favor cross draw, that's the only position I carry my primary, and it's more comfortable when sitting in a car and easer to reach.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I have seen no reason to consider carrying a back-up gun. If I were a LEO, and considered I would intervene in a robbery or crime off duty, then I would carry a gun similar to my duty gun, and probably a small BU.

But I am not and I do not.
    I resemble that notion. All I have to do is consider carrying the spare mag now.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Dont know about the BUG, but I doubt there is more than one or two. And a spare mag isnt carried for the extra ammo.
    Yes, but in my view an attack will be close and fast. If one has a malfunction and must drop the magazine it will be too late to put the other magazine in.
    I realize that one can conjure up a scenario where he would need a couple of spare mags, and a BUG, but I don't think that there is a million to one chance for a CHL to need that.

I have heard of a couple of cops who were off duty, and intervened in a crime. Both ran out of ammo and both were shot. The guns were 5 shotd revolvers. At least on pursued and shot at a bank robber. The other was in some fast food place and there were either two or three BGs. I know I would not bother with the bank robber who was running away, and doubt it would have been necessary to intervene in the fast food shop.

It does bring up a point that if an off duty LEO is going to intervene he/she needs more than a 5 shot revolver. A duty gun or a compact version of it is needed in that situation.

But to each his own. As the old saying goes, "You pays your money, and you takes your choice."

Regards,
    Jerry

Mossad Ayoob wrote an article on multiple guns

I wonder if there are any statistics regarding a CHL holder needing a BUG? I am not referring to an off duty cop who has some degree of responsibility to intervene in the commission of a crime. A CHL holder does not have that responsibility.
    But does anyone know of a case where the CHL holder needed a BUG? Or even an extra magazine?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    I read a magazine (probably Combat Handguns or another under the same publisher) that discussed primarily concealed carry and personal protection with handguns, and they cited several cases of multiple loaded guns IN the home, place of business, or ON the person's body... can't remember the name of the mag but the author of the article was Mossab Ayoob.

IMHO it's not about responding to a crime or minding your own business... crime comes to people even when they have done their best to avoid it at times, and guns (ESPECIALLY Semi autos) are well known to fail or be wrestled away. It's inconsequential that the citizen does their best to avoid criminals when it's the criminal that often has the advantage of choosing a victim (which may not be apparent until an attack is imminent.)

If one's reasoning for dismissing a BUG as being practical, because they don't "plan" to become victims, then one could also claim carrying just one gun to be equality impractical (because it's statistically low to become a victim of violent crime where your life or health were endangered). (If the reason were "comfort" then that's another argument, though there are guns lighter than a cell phone and smaller than a wallet these days)
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Yes, but in my view an attack will be close and fast. If one has a malfunction and must drop the magazine it will be too late to put the other magazine in.
    You just made a good point on the advantages of a BUG
    I think it's significantly more probably the BG to try to fight for the gun (if he is that close) and the weapon if a semi auto will jam after the first shot... then it becomes an expensive club.

Administrator
    I dont know about you guys, but I know I can tap/rack a gun thats already in play a whole lot faster than introducing another one into the mix... and if its up close and personal like you guys are talking about, your H2H better be decent otherwise its over anyway. And here we go into mall ninja territory...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just a spare mag and one knife. I'm planning to get a Ka-Bar TDI or something like it shortly. I'd like a fixed blade weak-side.

I'm also planning to SmartCarry a couple hand grenades. You know, SHTF gotta be prepared.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    ... I am not referring to an off duty cop who has some degree of responsibility to intervene in the commission of a crime. A CHL holder does not have that responsibility...

Thanks,
    Jerry
    Legally, no. But what about morally? Not talking about a bank robbery. But what if some innocent woman or child was being raped or abducted? Would you stand idle and let it happen? (Not getting into what might be a domestic dispute or other conflict in public that could be misconstrued- let's just say blatantly obvious- would you go to the woman or child's aid?).

Back on topic, usually one. Sometimes two. If I'm in the car and you're counting my car gun, usually two, sometimes three. But only one on the belt (on rare occasions I've done a double shoulder holster).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

There have been a good number of cases here lately that involved multiple attackers and more than a few were within a few blocks from our apartment.

Thinking everyone faces the same risk factors or that anyone who prepares themselves for a different level of threat than you do is very narrow minded indeed. Do you ever travel to other areas or unknown parts? Do you prepare any differently than if you were around your own neighborhood? If you do, then you've just proven my point. If you don't, well ... statistics are great if you're in the majority but they suck if you're on the short end - and it only takes once to change your life and your view of preparedness.

I "usually" carry one handgun, one reload and a 4" Benchmade, though there are times I carry an extra gun, magazine or a second 4" Benchmade. There are folks out there, and even here on the Forum, who regularly carry two or even three handguns, multiple hi-cap mags/knives/flashlights, a combat caliber rifle or shotgun in their trunks ... are they paranoid? No, I think they've prepared themselves for the level of threat they're likely to face.

If you feel comfortable carrying, or even protecting your home with just a .22lr NAA mini revolver well, good for you but when I woke up one early morning to the sound of someone prying their way through my front door, I was damned glad I had multiple loaded shotguns throughout the apartment and one was within easy reach of my chair in the livingroom. Was I being paranoid or a mall ninja then? If so, then I'm happy to be called paranoid because I know I protected my wife, myself and our home that night.

And when I feel I'd be better protected by carrying a second gun, knife or more than one reload I carry it - because you just never know what can happen. Do I care what other people think about that choice? Not in the least.
    Jack
    Last edited by maclean3; June 8th, 2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typos

Two guns yes Colt Defender .45 on the belt and Kel-Tec P3at in the pocket.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    There have been a good number of cases here lately that involved multiple attackers and more than a few were within a few blocks from our apartment.

Thinking everyone faces the same risk factors or that anyone who prepares themselves for a different level of threat than you do is very narrow minded indeed. Do you ever travel to other areas or unknown parts? Do you prepare any differently than if you were around your own neighborhood? If you do, then you've just proven my point. If you don't, well ... statistics are great if you're in the majority but they suck if you're on the short end - and it only takes once to change your life and your view of preparedness.

I "usually" carry one handgun, one reload and a 4" Benchmade, though there are times I carry an extra gun, magazine or a second 4" Benchmade. There are folks out there, and even here on the Forum, who regularly carry two or even three handguns, multiple hi-cap mags/knives/flashlights, a combat caliber rifle or shotgun in their trunks ... are they paranoid? No, I think they've prepared themselves for the level of threat they're likely to face.

If you feel comfortable carrying, or even protecting your home with just a .22lr NAA mini revolver well, good for you but when I woke up one early morning to the sound of someone prying their way through my front door, I was damned glad I had multiple loaded shotguns throughout the apartment and one was within easy reach of my chair in the livingroom. Was I being paranoid or a mall ninja then? If so, then I'm happy to be called paranoid because I know I protected my wife, myself and our home that night.

And when I feel I'd be better protected by carrying a second gun, knife or more than one reload I carry it - because you just never know what can happen. Do I care what other people think about that choice? Not in the least.
    Jack
    One time a family run jewelry store was rubbed by multiple gun men, and they placed a revolver in just about ever corner behind the bench... they were preparing for the worst if the worst came and when it did, one person actually fired at lest 2 revolvers empty and at lest one of the perps went to the morgue.

Also, if you take a look on some of those liveleak video, you will see literally several nightmares where clerks face 3-4 armed men.

LiveLeak.com - Store Clerk takes out 5 Robbers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links