McCain on S. 388 and/or H.R. 266

This is a discussion on McCain on S. 388 and/or H.R. 266 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know where McCain stands on S. 388 and/or H.R. 266, (the proposed legislation regarding a nationwide reciprocity on Concealed Carry Permits)? I know ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: McCain on S. 388 and/or H.R. 266

Does anyone know where McCain stands on S. 388 and/or H.R. 266, (the proposed legislation regarding a nationwide reciprocity on Concealed Carry Permits)?

I know that both Obama and Clinton are anti-gun politicians, and will try to renew the ban on 'assault-looking' type guns and high capacity magazines, so they're probably anti-Concealed Carry Permits also.

BTW, how has things been going, on these two measures? Are we getting any closer to a nationwide CC Permit

Thanks for any and all responses,
    Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Its beyond "probably"... its fact:

His Holiness the Obamessiah supports national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel.

Gun control: Election Center 2008 - CNN.com

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinehawk View Post
    Its beyond "probably"... its fact:

His Holiness the Obamessiah supports national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel.

Gun control: Election Center 2008 - CNN.com
    Vermont has concealed carry written into our constitution. How would that work if they pass a nationwide ban? Sometimes state law trumps federal, and sometimes federal trumps state.

with exceptions for retired police and military personnel.

and military personnel as in active duty or as in retired. Could read this either way and neither really makes sense. As Active military doesn't allow concealed weapon or open carry on base. And my being retired military sure doesn't give me any reason over the average citizen to carry concealed.

Not to hijack any posts but am not much for politics.. will we feel the consequence if Obama becomes President instead of McCain?

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Vermont has concealed carry written into our constitution. How would that work if they pass a nationwide ban? Sometimes state law trumps federal, and sometimes federal trumps state.

? We are getting into cross Constitutional Questions here. If I remember right there is an Argument that a States Constitution(Not state law) can override Federal Law... The way to Overrule a States Constitution is to have a US Constitutional Ammendment. ?

Now that also brings up a argument that is the Second Ammendment is decided to mean the National Guard instead of the people (DC vs Heller) then the charter's that made a few states into states are null and void. Therefore the states have a breech of contract and can cede from the union and become their own country.

In other words we can probably run an entire board of Constitutional Lawyers for years on that question alone. But I am sure that individual state would challenge a federal law banning concealed to the Supreme Court very quickly. Sorry no real answer for that one is possible until it happens.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I don't know what his views are for the bills mentioned, but based on his interview published in the June edition of 1st Freedom I'd have to guess that he wouldn't oppose them. But, you have to remember that he is a politician and is therefore likely to lie directly to your face

On a side note, I wrote both Florida Senators reguarding H.R. 226 and got back two canned responses.

Here's Mel Martinez's:

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun rights. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to respond to your concerns.

When our Founding Fathers drafted the Constitution, they included the Second Amendment to guarantee people the right to keep and bear arms. This is a fundamental part of our American identity, and I will work with my Senate colleagues to ensure that this liberty is protected for all law-abiding citizens.
    and here's Bill Nelson's:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns about gun control. I support the constitutional right to bear arms. I grew up on a ranch in the Florida countryside and have been a hunter since I was a boy.

I also support efforts to reduce gun violence and promote firearms safety. We should close the gun show loophole and take other steps to ensure that felons are not allowed to buy firearms. Running background checks on prospective gun purchasers is a practical way to ensure that guns do not fall into the wrong hands without unreasonably burdening citizens' 2nd amendment rights.

You can be sure that I will keep your thoughts in mind whenever firearms issues are considered by the Senate. I appreciate your letter. Your communications helps me serve you better.
    Notice how Dems always mention hunting when championing gun use...as if hunting is the only proper use of a firearm. Also notice Mel's term "gun rights"...and the operative term used by Bill "gun control". Hmm...do I see a trend here?

It would never pass Constitutional muster. They might try to sponsor some sort of legislation like that, but hold it up in committee and allow it to die there so they can get photo-ops telling their that they are "doing something" to curb gun violence.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

If you are an NRA member, and I hope you are, they have had several articles that explain Obama's anti-gun and pro-perpetrator position. You and I may not like everything about John McCain, but the 2nd Amendment is clearly an issue worth fighting for so we may collectively maintain a legal right to carry and defend our homes, homeland, and country. I am not here to defend my right to duck hunt. RM

Since the National Guard didn't exist until the early 1900s, the Founding Fathers couldn't have had it in mind when they wrote the II Amendment. The NG cannot be used as an interpretation in 2A arguments..

What the FFs did have in mind was the citizens. The militia was every [armed] citizen, providing his own weaponry, to be called out by a state to deal with what ever the crisis was.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Since the National Guard didn't exist until the early 1900s, the Founding Fathers couldn't have had it in mind when they wrote the II Amendment. The NG cannot be used as an interpretation in 2A arguments..

What the FFs did have in mind was the citizens. The militia was every [armed] citizen, providing his own weaponry, to be called out by a state to deal with what ever the crisis was.
    The Militia Act of 1903 that you referenced only organized the various state militias into the present National Guard system...therefore, the argument that those militias were the logic behind the 2A is reasonable; although I don't believe that was the intent of the founding fathers.

Cheers! M2

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I watched the video.When did he say concealed carry was bad?Anyone have a more specific video?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesia Wes View Post
    Does anyone know where McCain stands on S. 388 and/or H.R. 266, (the proposed legislation regarding a nationwide reciprocity on Concealed Carry Permits)?
    FYI - It's HR 226, not HR 266.

Here's the info if anybody wants to keep up with it...

S. 388: A bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in... (GovTrack.us)

H.R. 226: To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance... (GovTrack.us)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Militia Act of 1903 that you referenced only organized the various state militias into the present National Guard system...therefore, the argument that those militias were the logic behind the 2A is reasonable; although I don't believe that was the intent of the founding fathers.

Cheers! M2
    In Parker v DC the Circuit Court found that regargless of the wording of the first of the amendment, the part that refers to a "well regulated militia", the spirit of the Second Amendment was that guns would be kept by the people. In effect, they ruled out the first (the militia) part.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

State law does not trump federal law unless the applicable federal statute provides for recognition of a differing state law.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links