NY carry mag carry limit - Page 2

NY carry mag carry limit

This is a discussion on NY carry mag carry limit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bluelineman Colorado has a 10 round limit? Nope. But you never know since the Governor, the State House & State Senate went ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NY carry mag carry limit

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Colorado has a 10 round limit?
    Nope. But you never know since the Governor, the State House & State Senate went 'Blue' in 2006 b/c of anti Bush / anti war backlash.

Anyway folks, please stop using the term 'high capacity mags'. That's the anti's term. There are standard capacity mags and (anything less are) restricted capacity mags.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

No Colorado does not have a 10Rd mag law. Even in the People's republic of Denver you can buy/sell/carry hi-cap mags. Denver has a ban on the retail sell of "assult weapon" but not the possesion od assult weapons.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    I'm gonna take a SWAG and say that in NY, no one may be in possession of a mag capable of holding no more than 10 rounds.

How many rounds you put in them is up to you.

I think that if you're caught w/a 15 round mag with only ten rounds in it is gonna go real bad for you.
    If the mag is pre-ban, it's okay. The new ones coming into NY (more than 10) are 'mostly' stamped LE Only. A friend who has a store, FFL, received two guns with more than 10 rounders in them.....he was obligated to send them back to the vendor.....stupid, huh?

But here in ol' NY, legislators put stuff into state law so that it didn't matter when the Clinton Gun Ban ('Great piece of legislation, that one was', ) sunset, many parts of it remained illegal in NY. Really stupid, huh?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I've assumed "10 mag" limits applied to New York, since I've heard 10 shot mags commonly referred to as a New York magazine. When checking on a Taurus where the gun comes in either 10 shot mag , or 17 shot mag .... they even referred to the 10 mag model as the New York version.

Nothing over 10 rounds is legal in NY State except for LE. Contrary to popular belief this is not just a NYC restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    Nothing over 10 rounds is legal in NY State except for LE. Contrary to popular belief this is not just a NYC restriction.
    I believe this is incorrect. If you have pre-ban magazines, and can prove it with a dated sales receipt, then they are grandfathered, and acceptable. Otherwise, yes, it's 10.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

When I went to buy a gun as a "civilian", I bought a glock 19 that came with 15 rd. magazines. I didn't buy that gun as a leo, and the gun dealer said nothing of a hi-cap magazine restriction.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    When I went to buy a gun as a "civilian", I bought a glock 19 that came with 15 rd. magazines. I didn't buy that gun as a leo, and the gun dealer said nothing of a hi-cap magazine restriction.
    In NY?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

As others have said, state law says if it's a post-ban magazine, 10. Otherwise full capacity is legal. I'll look up the appropriate legalese if anyone is interested.
    Some dealers may chose to violate state law, but that doesn't change the law.

Wait until the cops become civilians ans have to get rid of the 'LE ONLY' magazines...is that stupid or what?
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    As others have said, state law says if it's a post-ban magazine, 10. Otherwise full capacity is legal. I'll look up the appropriate legalese if anyone is interested.
    Some dealers may chose to violate state law, but that doesn't change the law.
    What I said earlier.....if it don't say "LE ONLY" who in the heck is gonna know if it's Pre-ban, unless the gun is REALLY new, production wise, with a special magazine.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Ok so I just look it up and if it was manufactured before 1994 then it's legal. Anything made after that must be no more than 10 rounds. Since there isn't a real way to prove it's build date most places just won't ship them to NY instead of trying to figure out what is what.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    Ok so I just look it up and if it was manufactured before 1994 then it's legal. Anything made after that must be no more than 10 rounds. Since there isn't a real way to prove it's build date most places just won't ship them to NY instead of trying to figure out what is what.
    It can be proven with a sales receipt for the gun and/or magazine. I have a friend here in NY with a Walther PPK and pre-ban magazine, and it's perfectly ok. Just need to have the paperwork.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Wait until the cops become civilians ans have to get rid of the 'LE ONLY' magazines...is that stupid or what?
    It won't make a difference. All they'd have to do is say "I was on the job" and the NYPD will look the other way. The NYPD has a history of looking out for their own and also a long history of being the first corrupt police force in the country. Preferrential treatment at it's best. Drop name and you get off with a warning. "My dad is on the force in the 112th Precinct". "You just murdered someone, maam, but we'll do what we can to make it look like self-defense". Am I bitter? You can say that... from living under their control for 40 years.

One mornig about 4:00 AM I was standing on the corner of my block talking to someone I knew. The NYPD rolled up and asked me what i was doing. "Well, we're talking." "Where do you live?", one of the cops asked. "I live right down the block there, three houses from the driveway." "Go home." he said. "Why? I'm not doing anything other than talking. There's no curfew. Why should I be forced to go home when I'm not doing anything wrong?" "Go home or you'll be arrested for disurbing the peace and disobeying an officer. We've had complaints of people making noise." Well, officer, all we're doing is talking. If we're being too loud, we'll talk quieter. Why don't you go bother those two guys that were standing in that doorway doing coke?" "Where, when... where did they go?"

It's crap I tell you. They think they have the power to rule your whole life. And yes, the conversation above really happened and it wasn't the only time. As I said before, it's not what you know, but who you know when it comes to the NYPD. Your first, second and who knows how many other amendments they break on a regular basis to benefit their own agenda.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Quote Originally Posted by nativenyerintexas View Post
    Preferrential treatment at it's best. Drop name and you get off with a warning.
    Almost all the time. But as the old saying goes "It is not what you know BUT WHO YOU KNOW!!! Always

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links