NY carry mag carry limit

NY carry mag carry limit

This is a discussion on NY carry mag carry limit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; does any one know how many bullets you can carry in a mag in NY state ? thanks...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY carry mag carry limit

NY carry mag carry limit

does any one know how many bullets you can carry in a mag in NY state ? thanks

I'm gonna take a SWAG and say that in NY, no one may be in possession of a mag capable of holding no more than 10 rounds.

How many rounds you put in them is up to you.

I think that if you're caught w/a 15 round mag with only ten rounds in it is gonna go real bad for you.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

well...it depneds on who you talk too.....I shot idpa w/ a guy who just made it through the police academy,and they are telling them that ANY high cap mag is illegal in NY...however,NRA instructors and some other cops I know say a pre-ban hi- cap is ok.Here's my take....just a THEORY....if you commit a felony w/ your gun(robbery,man slaughter etc..)and have a hi cap,they'll pile on that charge too.....if you are John Q Good guy,and get pulled over,and you aren't a jerk and a cop discovers you have a hi cap...you're PROBABLY ok....Would I personally chance it..NO,I carry a j frame mostly,or a PT111 w/ 10 rounds and 1 reload.
    also,know a good lawyer.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; June 8th, 2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Oh yeah, I forgot about pre-ban mags. They're probably ok.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

If it's post ban, it's 10 in the mag + 1 in the pipe. Pre-ban, anything goes, but you had better be able to prove that it's a pre-ban magazine!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

From what a lawyer who deals with these things told me, you do not have to prove that the mag is pre ban. They have to prove that it is post ban.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

When the assault weapons ban died, all hi-cap mags were allowed again in NY. Not sure about NYC though.
    One more step and it's on!

No they are not

NYC-California, what's the difference? I'd research it if I felt like it. Maybe one of these days, y'all will feel sorry for me and where I live. I sincerely hope not and I doubt it, but one never knows.
    Last edited by Ram Rod; June 8th, 2008 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCMedic View Post
    From what a lawyer who deals with these things told me, you do not have to prove that the mag is pre ban. They have to prove that it is post ban.
    But in NYC you have to remember, when it comes to NYPD, you're guilty until proven innocent and they let the justice system sort out who's what. I know from experience. Even NY politicians (are you listening Mayor Bloomberg and Senator Clinton?) think they can circumvent any law to benefit their own agenda. I lived there for the first 40 years of my life. It took me that long to figure out that the rest of the country isn't like that. Thank whatever god exists that I moved out when I did but it' a shame it took that long.

As for the original question, as far as I heard anything more than a 10 round magazine is a felony... unless you're NYPD, of course. For the most part when it comes to civilians there, it makes more a difference who you know, not what you know.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

JonInNY gave you the correct information. The New York State Assembly did pass a series of gun control bills earlier this year including a total ban on high capacity magazines, pre and post ban. Our liberal democrat controlled State Assembly is full of treasonous crackpots. The bills have been held up in the Republican controlled State Senate so far.

If you are in the occupied territories, most of the New England area, California, Colorado... You are better off having 10rd. mags just in case.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strider72 View Post
    If you are in the occupied territories, most of the New England area, California, Colorado... You are better off having 10rd. mags just in case.
    Actually your better off getting a 45 ACP single stack and carrying good 8 round mags. I thank God that we dont have those idiotic laws here but if I was faced with that, it would be a 1911 with an 8 round mag in it and two 10 round Wilson mags to back it up. What am I saying, when I had a choice what I could carry, that was my exact set up, LOL.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Colorado has a 10 round limit?

I'm livin' free up here in New England.....carry 16 round mags all the time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links