Explaining CCW to the Wife

This is a discussion on Explaining CCW to the Wife within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a 50 yr. old newlywed and my wife has taken issue with me carrying when we are out shopping, dining, etc. The only time ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explaining CCW to the Wife

I'm a 50 yr. old newlywed and my wife has taken issue with me carrying when we are out shopping, dining, etc. The only time she doesn't is when we are traveling out of town. I've tried to explain to her that I carry because it's my God given right. Maybe a rationale she might understand is comparing the odds of being struck by lightening while playing golf vs. being a victim of a random act of violence.

I would be considered to be foolish to play golf during a thunderstorm, why wouldn't I be considered foolish to be defenseless going to and from the local mall. Does anyone know the odds for each situation?
    Pershing SIR!!

Did you carry before you got together?
    Did she know about it?

If so then she agreed to marry you knowing what she was getting ... she just needs to get over it.

Hell, a young woman marrying a 19year old boy doesn't have much chance of changing/molding her man, why would a woman married to a 50 year old think for a second that she can change an old dog? :p

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    I don't know those odds, but I don't think it matters. The odds could be a trillion to one but it only takes one to fry you! Amore rational argument would be the love you feel for her and how much you want to keep her safe. Try it. . .she'll like it!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge
    Did she know about it?

If so then she agreed to marry you knowing what she was getting ... she just needs to get over it.

Hell, a young woman marrying a 19year old boy doesn't have much chance of changing/molding her man, why would a woman married to a 50 year old think for a second that she can change an old dog? :p
    +1!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    jeez, i let my girlfriend know I had a CCW permit and carry early in our relationship. If she didn't like it, she knew where the door was. Sorry to hear your wife doesn't understand your right to carry.

Assistant Administrator
    I know we come up with the same analogies over and over - but ask her if she wishes to leave the spare tire at home - because somehow she knows she won't get a flat on a given day.

Cancel insurance for a while - save a few bucks - just choose the timeframe when it's known 100% everything will be risk free!

Pitch that fire extinguisher by the stove - probably won't be a fire anytime soon.

Out dining or at the store - any solid guarantees nothing will go down? She cannot I hope feel able to provide such guarantees and so with her and your safety at heart - does rather make sense to carry all the time.

Remind her - ''You can't make appointments for emergencies''!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    My friend who has his CCW doesn't tell his liberal wife when he is or isn't carrying. I also like this policy, as no one needs to know if you are armed or not.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

regarding lightning...

Quote Originally Posted by FrontSight
    Maybe a rationale she might understand is comparing the odds of being struck by lightening while playing golf vs. being a victim of a random act of violence.

Does anyone know the odds for each situation?
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/gid/display....6-17/index.htm states "During the past 30 years, lightning killed an average of 67 people per year in the United States based on documented cases."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

regarding being victimized in a violent crime...

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/ states "The United States Crime Index Rates Per 100,000 Inhabitants went from 1,887.2 in 1960 to 5,897.8 in 1991. By 1991 the crime rate was 313% the 1960 crime rate. In 1996 your risk of being a victim of a crime in the United States was 5.079%, and of a violent crime 0.634%.
    In 1960 these rates were 1.89% of being a victim of a crime and 0.161% of becoming victim of a violent crime.
    Our Index of Crime Statistics cover the period from 1960 to 2000."

So it looks like one is more likely to be victimized in a crime that to be killed by lightning.

These are just a few numbers. There are zillions of web sites with lots more.

If you think your new wife is open-minded enough to actually consider changing her opinions, I would suggest looking for numbers about the success of defending oneself with firearms, like on page 45 of http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...s4-0-Print.pdf (the printed page number is 45, it's actually 50-something in the Adobe viewer).

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge
    Did she know about it?

Yes she knew I carried, and she doesn't make an much of an issue about it. Her only comment that bothers me is she thinks I'm paranoid. She is a rational person (nurse by trade) and I think that if I could quote stats the next time this came up in conversation she would understand.
    Pershing SIR!!

DC Founder
    Just tell her you do it so you can protect her, the most important thing in your life. I bet you will be able to hear a pin drop.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    My friend who has his CCW doesn't tell his liberal wife when he is or isn't carrying. I also like this policy, as no one needs to know if you are armed or not.
    Rocky, I agree yet disagree. My GF is so much of a liberal she's already said she'll vote for Hillary :1saufen: . She know I carry and the reason. She doesn't like it, but she realizes the alternative is worse.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Rocky, I agree yet disagree. My GF is so much of a liberal she's already said she'll vote for Hillary
    Dump her!

It's not whether she thinks it's necessary but you feel that your life and hers are important enough to be trained and skilled with such a tool that you are willing to assume this risk.

It's worth a shot, but this seems to be a rather emotional matter for her. I have yet to meet a woman (or liberal) whose emotionally formed opinions can be changed by quoting statistics.

I think the other approaches suggested here might work better, especially those from P95Carry and Bumper.

You might even (pretend to) call the insurance company in front of her and ask if it's possible to suspend payment and coverage for a month or so. Just remember to take a picture of her face and post it here.

@dpesec:
    My GF is so much of a liberal she's already said she'll vote for Hillary
    Well, I hope she has other qualities to make up for her lack of judgement...
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links