Permit turnaround times

Permit turnaround times

This is a discussion on Permit turnaround times within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have many of threads here dealing with horrible turnaround times for permits. Delays beyond what the issuing authority quote are fairly frequent. Even a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Permit turnaround times

DC Founder

Permit turnaround times

We have many of threads here dealing with horrible turnaround times for permits. Delays beyond what the issuing authority quote are fairly frequent. Even a few horror stories. When an agency does a bad job, we tell everyone we can get to listen. I think when they do a good job, we need to hear that, too.

I have to tell you, the guys st the Arizona Department of Public Safety, Concealed Weapon Permit Unit deserve kudos on the job they do, particularly on renewals. My permit, after four years, was up for renewal on 7/23/2008. On 4/23 I received a renewal notice from them documenting the (new) process, the required fee, their telephone numbers, website URL. Enclosed with the notice was the renewal application and a self addressed envelope. I immediately filled out the application, but because they don't accept personal checks or credit cards, I did not get it back in the mail. It finally got put in the mailbox on Saturday 5/31. I received my new permit Saturday 6/7.

Since my last permit, they have removed the additional training requirement (which was really just a re-fingerprint and form filling deal) and extended it from a 4 year term to 5 year term. I think they just do a record check and print out the new one if you are clear.

That is pretty darned good in my book.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I'm moving to MN in a few weeks, and have been frequenting a Twin Cities forum for the past few months. With the exception of Ramsey County (where St Paul is), and a few isolated incidents, people in most parts of MN seem to be getting both renewals & new permits in less than 2 weeks. MN has a requirement that a permit application must be denied within 30 days, otherwise it is considered approved, so they have a comparatively short turnaround time to many other parts of the country to begin with. But still - I'll occasionally see posts that say someone received their renewal in as little as 7 days. Not bad...

Of course, I happen to be moving to Ramsey County. Wish me & my wife luck!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Bumper - You are correct that when someone doesn't get the response they expect they loudly complain but seldom do when things go right no matter what the activity. When I applied for my NH permit I was expecting 3 weeks at the most but it took 7 weeks. I called and from my understanding they had one lady processing all non-resident applications due to job changes etc. Seeing as this was also in the Summer I expect that she wanted to take some vacation time and we had some holidays in there.

My SC permit took 60 days and I was expecting 90 which was great as far as I was concerned but I am sure that most on here would say way do they need more than 7 days. I suppose it does bug me when people get on here wanting to file a lawsuit because their permit took 91 days instead of 90. If everyone on here's job performance was judged like we judge the LEO and people issuing permits very few would still have a job.

My county here in Michigan was great. Paperwork submitted 4/28... permit in hand 5/27. Could not have been smoother.
    Sig 229 Elite .40 S&W
    HK P2000 sk

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    My last renewal (Wayne County Mi.) took 5 months (same as the initial took). I didn't begin the process until 3 months before expiration, so I had a 2 month lapse (never again!). I've heard they've improved, I'll find out when I begin the process for my next renewal (6 months early!).

As a side note, there have been calls to dissolve Michigan's County Gun Board system (only function is to approve/deny permits, they meet once per month and consist of a State Trooper, a County Prosecutor and Clerk's representative). Since we became a "shall issue" State (circa 2001), with specific and limited criteria for denial, I think it's time we did dissolve them.

As it stands now, we have great disparity from County to County. Some boards require you to appear before them, which is pointless- wait times vary with the Counties Bureaucracy- County sheriffs offices while legally bound to grant you "an appointment" to be fingerprinted within 30 days if I recall, they often claim to be too busy. I had to schedule for my initial permit (first in our "new" system, I'd had one previous under the old system) and it took 2-3 months. Yeah, they were too busy all right (asking if I'd taken my class yet on scheduling, none of their business as they didn't process the app, only the prints). They were so busy, when my appointment finally came up, I arrived and waited... alone, with no one else coming and going.... for 45 minutes before they took me back to be printed. They'd not been busy at all. Simply an anti for sheriff, who decided to disobey the law and slow the system.

Bottom line, with anti sheriffs running their own illegal delay campaign, and counties taking 5 months to do paperwork (after waiting months for prints!) that is nothing more than a rubber stamp by law (once background checks are completed), we do need to revamp our system (as you've seen, some locations issue in a matter of weeks).

Progress we've made includes many Cities/Townships are now running prints for residents (IMHO prints should not be required, but then neither should permits). And some County gun boards have come off the power trip and simply approve without hassle those who are qualified. But our County system is still far too inconsistent, and in bad need of replacement.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I applied to my Fl CCW permit as a resident on May 16th, 2008. I used a DD214 for proof of training and a postal money order. Nothing in the mail yet. They say give it 45 days before you call and that it could take up to 90 days. I'll try to find this thread when I get it to update.

Resident NH is quick.... under 14 days... mainly because I believe they can get in a lot of trouble if they don't issue/deny it within 14 days. Generally speaking though most towns it probably only takes a few days.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    I'm moving to MN in a few weeks, and have been frequenting a Twin Cities forum for the past few months. With the exception of Ramsey County (where St Paul is), and a few isolated incidents, people in most parts of MN seem to be getting both renewals & new permits in less than 2 weeks. MN has a requirement that a permit application must be denied within 30 days, otherwise it is considered approved, so they have a comparatively short turnaround time to many other parts of the country to begin with. But still - I'll occasionally see posts that say someone received their renewal in as little as 7 days. Not bad...

Of course, I happen to be moving to Ramsey County. Wish me & my wife luck!
    You won't have any problem getting your permit in Ramsey. Welcome to MN and you will have to come to one of our monthly get togethers.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    flccnp:
    Paper prints or electronic?
    Electronic go much faster.

I have to do my renewal this week, We'll see how long that takes.

Biggest problem most states are having is the sheer volume of applications.
    Seems lot's people are getting their CCW's.
    Lousy economy equals a higher crime rate.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I'm still waiting (57 days so far), county is supposed to deny within 45 days after prints are received. I'm going to give it another week or so to see if I can get ahold of somebody.

Our county is supposed to be one of the quicker, at the time I applied I had heard of 3 week approvals quite regularly. Looks like more people are getting them with the presidential stuff coming up.
    Armed and waiting...

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hghgrad
    county is supposed to deny within 45 days after prints are received
    ? News to me! Is this a new law? Thanks for the heads up, I've got some research to do.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

az dps does a good job i mailed my paperwork in on a monday and had my permit on friday. indiana took me about a month but i was told it would be much longer so no complaints there either.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Ill update when I get my SC CWP I think its been 39 days
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Colo has 90 days to issue or deny. My permit came in 35 days.

I'm going into the 55th day for my Utah (Need the Utah so I can carry in NV). Somewhere I heard that they were required to get them out within 60 days of cashing the check. Lately though, I've heard that they are up to their necks in applications and several weeks behind. Well, not much you can do, especially not being a Utah resident. It's not like I wouldn't have applied for it if the wait was 120 days or longer.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Converted my CA driver's license to TN in about an hour. Had to take my Handgun Class Completion Certificate back to the TN DPS, and it took three hours to get out. I guess I went to the wrong location or at the wrong time (or both). I had an interesting conversation with a Chicago transplant who took the same course and was at DPS for the same reason and waiting as long as I. Speaking of waiting, that was 55 days (and $225 - it's $115 for the application, and I spent $110 for the class but that varies, and I've seen as low as $60) ago. TN has 90 days to issue or deny.
    TN privatized the fingerprint portion of the application. That has less to do with efficiency than it does with an outgoing governor's business ownership. However, it is convenient being able to submit fingerprints from the friendly gun shop with the investment in the necessary equipment. And it raises the question of privatizing the whole HCP system. So many causes - so little time.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links