Postal Carry

This is a discussion on Postal Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering can you carry into a post office. I normally have to carry mortgage to the post office to mail it. However, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Postal Carry

Postal Carry

I was wondering can you carry into a post office. I normally have to carry mortgage to the post office to mail it. However, I am setting it to have it come out auto. Until then can you carry in post office?
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

2. Remove Ads

It depends on your state

I would go to packing.org and click on state ccw info. They have a pretty good break down of the laws for each state. I am pretty sure here in NC that the post office is considered a government building therefore it would be off limits to carry.

VIP Member
    We can't carry in a post office here in TN. I can't even remember the last time I've been in a post office - I get my stamps at the grocery store checkout line and mail stuff out through my workplace.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    IIRC the Post Office is federal, and therefore what State you are in doesn't matter, the answer is a big NO. I can't think of any federal facility you can carry on.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I will try to find it later, but there is a webpage that lists the full federal law. It turns out that the law is as clear as mud, but it does not strictly say that a CCW permit is invalid in a post office.

Keep in mind most states will make an exception for the P.O. in their state law anyway.

Texas does not list a postal office as one of the businesses that do not have to post a Section 30.06 sign for carry there to be illegal. Therefore since no federal law I am aware of specifically says no carry, and no state law specifically says no carry, I look to see if there are Section 30.06 compliant signs on the doors. Some of the offices have them, and some don't. I've even seen one that had a no gun sign but it did not comply with the law (It did not have 1" tall block letters, was not in English and Spanish, etc.), therefore... well figure it out.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's not expressly prohibited, it's fair game. That and concealed means concealed as some of the other board members are so fond of saying.

Assistant Administrator
    Rick - not totally sure re the ''Federal'' nature of USPS and its offices.

In PA we essentially have two prime no-no's - schools as per about everywhere, and courthouses. federal does also include state parks, I realize that too, but I have always carried everywhere else.

It is rare I go into a PO but now and again I use one of two very small local units - know the folks running them and they know me. And of course - concealed is concealed too If I heard a definitive dictum that shows we can't do it here I would of course comply.

Fortunately churches, banks, and numerous other places are Ok - it saddens me how some states ''give with one hand - take away with another'' - meaning - they pass CCW then make such a huge list of no-no's it all but trashes the carry ability!!

Oh and let me add - if someone up to no good was going to take a gun into a PO and ''go postal'' - there'd be little to stop them - and they'd almost for sure be criminal in category so - flount any laws anyways!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I can't sight the law.Just,and repeat,just seems to have heard that a post office is ok for CCW as long as the "intent" is not to break the law or something to that extent. I seemed to have heard/read it in the Federal Laws. In Fla. I go in and out of PO's fairly often. Do not and will not teach this to my students though.(It has never came up in class) Check the Fed.Statutes. Pls let us know if anything is found. Thanks ---------

Chris,

Surprisingly I learned today, from the Brady Bunch nonetheless that school carry in PA isn't necessarily a no-no.
    Pennsylvania - State law does not clearly prohibit people from carrying hidden handguns into schools if they have an easily-obtained CCW permit. The law provides a defense for CCW permit holders to carry a gun into school "for lawful purpose."
    (note: got to love the "easily-obtained" propaganda they put in there.) Conceivably "lawful purpose" could be anything.

As for courthouse carry, I read on packing.org that in Jefferson County that it was ruled you can carry in a court house, just not in the Judge's cambers and I think the actual courtroom. Not sure I'd test either of the two, but it seems the law on the few restricted places is hazy at best.

Post Office: They are federal workers, therefore, I can only assume that it's a federally owned building, but like anything else with the government that doesn't necessarily have to be true.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

CCW in PO

Here's a good link to check out:

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html

Your state may have more restrictive laws, in which case all bets are off. However, if it doesn't then it's a gray area.

If you ask the PO, they say no. No guns allowed at all anywhere on the property. Yet they ship guns, so I'm not sure how you're supposed to ship them without bringing them on the property...

I asked the WA attorney general, he sided with the PO but was very wishy-washy about it. I think he was just playing it safe.

I say you can, but my advice is worth what you pay for it :) Nobody has ever pressed the issue or become a test case yet and we desperately need one. If you read the law (see link above), there's a part that says "Subsection (a) shall not apply to - the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.". Since licensed CCW *is* a lawful purpose for having a firearm it's legal.

IMO the intent of the law is to simply add a federal charge on to any gun violence actions perpetrated in a PO (or other "Federal Facility"), but the PO reads it as banning guns. It's very poorly worded. Come on, "hunting or other lawful purposes." Hunting in a PO? "Duck stamps! Fire!"

DarthMuffin, (great name)

"Subsection (a) shall not apply to - the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.".
    Federal gov't owns a ton of property, more than any other entity in the world if I'm not mistaken, so hunting is permitted on a lot of their land. Only problem I see, is the law states "...in a Federal facility...". In a facility, on facility lands, like you said poorly worded.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes
    It seems clear to me. If I am legally carrying a concealed weapon and am properly licensed in my state, and I walk into a post office, I am lawfully carrying a firearm.

Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Assistant Administrator
    500 - indeed yes - that clause re schools is gray in the extreme - ''lawful purpose''. Well I naturally read that lawful purpose as defence of self following possession of a lawful CCW! But so much gray out there it really has to be handled with great care.

I conceal 100%, I am discrete and do not seek trouble so - I reckon my odds of having problems are remote enough I will not be too concerned, while tho still trying diligently to follow the letter of the law in my state.

Many borderline decisions have to be taken by the individual - based on their personal risk assessment.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Guys and Gals, I appreciate the quick response and I did not carry anything buy my Crkt Folder. It would seem that CCW for the good guys would not limit us no where but schools. Since I am school mental health counselor I agree that much. Well anyway thanks again.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I have carried in Post Offices for the legal act of buying stamps and sending packages. Concealed is the clue, if they can't see it, I am OK. The law is gray but if we arenít there to cause trouble then it should be alright.

Administrator

Pennsylvania

In PA they give you brochure with your LTC that tells ya where you can & cannot carry. No Post Office mentioned.
    My local post office is posted on the door but, it says:
    No Dogs Are Allowed In The Post Office!!!
    No mention of firearms.
    I don't know of anybody that was ever frisked while walking into a PO to buy a book of stamps or to mail a package.
    As usual...I guess...check your local restrictions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links