Seattle Mayor to issue BAN on concealed weapons/Victim speaks out against ban: Merged - Page 2

Seattle Mayor to issue BAN on concealed weapons/Victim speaks out against ban: Merged

This is a discussion on Seattle Mayor to issue BAN on concealed weapons/Victim speaks out against ban: Merged within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, that's good news, guys. I was just throwin' out the preemption thing for discussion. Looks like Hizzoner, the Mayor, is out of gas!...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seattle Mayor to issue BAN on concealed weapons/Victim speaks out against ban: Merged

1943 - 2009
    Well, that's good news, guys.

I was just throwin' out the preemption thing for discussion.

Looks like Hizzoner, the Mayor, is out of gas!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Apparently, an executive order of some sort has already been signed today:

Mayor Nickels takes aim at firearms on city property

SEATTLE-Mayor Greg Nickels today took steps to prohibit firearms on all property owned by the city of Seattle, including parks and community centers. An executive order signed today directs all city departments to inventory rules, policies and leases relating to guns. It also directs city departments to report back to the mayor’s office within 30 days with a plan to implement a gun-free policy.

A public hearing will be held to gather comment. The order does not require City Council approval.

When it goes into effect, the order will place gun prohibition notices at city facilities. Organizations that put on events at Seattle Center will establish their own ways to enforce the new rule. Seattle Police will develop protocols for people with concealed weapons permits.

The order follows the May 24 shooting at Folklife Festival which injured three people. The suspect was issued a concealed weapons permit last year, even with a history of drug abuse and mental health problems.

“The reason for this executive order is simple: our parks, community centers and events are safer without guns, period,” said Nickels. “We cannot wait for another incident, another victim. We need to act, and we need the Legislature to pass common-sense guns laws.”

“I commend Mayor Nickels for his leadership in issuing this order,” said State Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles, D-Seattle, representing the 36th District. “This responsible action will protect our citizens, our families, and our children so that they may enjoy the Folklife Festival and other events without fear of gunfire erupting and their lives being endangered. I will continue to work with the city of Seattle to pass reasonable and essential legislation in the Legislature.”

“This order will assist the officers in protecting Seattle’s residents and visitors particularly at civic events,” said Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske.

Currently, Seattle Center and most city facilities such as City Hall have rules prohibiting firearms unless the person has a concealed weapons permit. The Seattle Public Library restricts all firearms, and people cannot bring guns to events at community centers. Organizations that lease Key Arena also have the ability to prohibit firearms in the facility. State law prevents firearms on the grounds of schools, jails and courthouses.

While the state preempts all criminal laws related to firearms, a recent Washington Supreme Court case recognized that cities could adopt rules that regulate guns on city property: Northwest Shooting Park Association v. City of Sequim, 158 Wn. 2nd 342 (2006)

The city of Seattle has been actively working on local, regional and national strategies to reduce gun violence. Nickels is a founding member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which is promoting federal legislation to assist law enforcement in combating gun trafficking. The Seattle Police Department has taken a leading role in working with local and federal law enforcement agencies to fight gun crime.

Nickels has urged lawmakers in Olympia to ban assault weapons, close the gun show loophole that allows criminals to buy weapons without background checks, deny guns to anyone who has been involuntarily committed to a mental health facility and require trigger locks and safe storage of firearms.
    While the order itself is confusing about whether or not it enters any new restrictions (besides requiring "Gun Prohibition Notices" and new Police protocols), it seems he is paving the way for further action in accordance with his anti-gun agenda.
    Last edited by Rifter; June 9th, 2008 at 06:28 PM.

It's all got to do with politics ,he can say I tried but they wouldn't let me do it but if you reelect me I will continue to try to make our city safer and friendlier yada yada yada
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

said State Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles, D-Seattle, representing the 36th District. “This responsible action will protect our citizens, our families, and our children so that they may enjoy the Folklife Festival and other events without fear of gunfire erupting and their lives being endangered.

Wanna bet?

While the state preempts all criminal laws related to firearms, a recent Washington Supreme Court case recognized that cities could adopt rules that regulate guns on city property: Northwest Shooting Park Association v. City of Sequim, 158 Wn. 2nd 342 (2006)
    This is a grossly misleading statement. That ruling was about whether or not the city could regulate how its property was used when being leased out.

Based on the two articles we're look at so far, it appears the city of Seattle is attempting to prohibit firearms on municipal property under their own control, not as a contractual obligation to those leasing the property.

A good look at the decision is here:
    Josh's Weblog: Pac. Nw. Shooting Park v. City of Sequim
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

It’s all politics, and who has the money to win a lengthily, drawn out and costly court battle.

Washington as well as other states, like Florida need to do a better background check prior to issuing, or we could all (CCL) be in trouble.

We do not need a bunch of mentally ill, crazed citizens roaming the streets carrying a gun, and worse have a CCL permit to do so, and making a bad name for the rest of us.

Could you imagine what the Brady anti gunners would have made of it if John Hinckley would have had a CCL.

Newest article from SeattlePI:

Mayor Greg Nickels proposes concealed weapons ban in Seattle parks

"Under this order, people with concealed weapons will be asked to leave or to hand over their guns," he said. Nickels believes case law gives him authority to establish the prohibition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
    I posted about this in the related thread on the Folklife Festival shooting in Seattle, but I think perhaps this deserves it's own thread.

Because of this fiasco, Mayor Greg Nickels is planning on issuing an Executive Order (effectively bypassing public opinion) to ban the carrying of firearms (despite having a permit) on city property.

City to limit concealed weapons

If you are in WA, write to your lawmakers!

Also, you can contact the mayor's office here: Mayor Greg Nickels Email Form
    I am sure that the criminals would like to see that happen.

Live from the Scene

It's definitely a retaliatory move on his part. I'm home in Seattle for the summer and was actually about fifty yards away from the shooting during Folklife.

The entire thing is ridiculous, the shooting took place at the "trees" area of the festival which everyone knows is the place to go do/sell drugs. You could smell the dope from where I was standing, and having a crowded area filled with drug users is asking for trouble. The citizens of Seattle would be better served by directing their money and attention elsewhere, like maybe, I don't know, the criminal justice system?
    Local News | King County's $70M budget crisis: Cuts in courts, law enforcement warned | Seattle Times Newspaper
    People do not lack strength; they lack will. — Victor Hugo

Well... we all know... another law or order.... just solves everything. I'm sure all the BG's will leave their guns at home to and honor the Mayor's request.

LMAO.....

So the article here says that "executive orders do not generally apply to the public, and are orders given to direct the actions of city employees". This obviously means that the order he just signed does not affect the Citizens. It can't, it's illegal. Am I right here?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    So the article here says that "executive orders do not generally apply to the public, and are orders given to direct the actions of city employees". This obviously means that the order he just signed does not affect the Citizens. It can't, it's illegal. Am I right here?
    I would bet that the LEOs would arrest one now if this "executive order" has been handed down.

It is time for someone (hopefully a group) to hire an attorney with experience in firearms laws. Take the city, the mayor's office & the mayor to court. Sue to get this repealed and for damages/attorney's fees.

Hopefully you guys can come together quickly and resolve this. Do you have any type of firearms advocacy group in WA?

Law makers will do you no good in matters like this. You will have to make an example out of this city inventing their own laws that is contrary to the state's laws.

Outrageous -- isn't there anyone around him to explain how ludicrous this action is?!
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

It flew, signed and in effect. A advocate of sensible gun control, Mayor Witless, the fat fruit cake has been actively trying to undermine Washington state law, with the support of the rest of the Peoples Republic Of Seattle. When the slaughter happens in one of his pro crime criminal safe zones they will argue that it is because the state allows weapons of self defense. What do you expect of a Mayor who requires that tax payers pick up the fudge packing city employee's AIDs bill? IMO Mayor Witless is the poster child for waste of skin.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I believe that DC members across the country can help Washingtonians put this issue to rest. It will undoubtably play out in the courts and then the legislature . . . political pressure on the legislature is critical to avoid weakening of Washington's pre-emption.

There are two ways you can help . . .

1) If you have had any thought of moving to our beautiful state and this has changed your views, write a few (or all) of Washington's legislators, Mayor Nickles, and perhaps Governor Gregoire. Let them know in no uncertain terms that tax-paying potential residents won't move here if Washington's laws are weakened.

2) Write your own pro-gun legislators, and ask them to contact thier colleagues in Washington state. Point out that if this EO stands the test of the courts, or if Washington's pre-emption is weakened, there may be a domino effect around the country.

For all of us that reside in Washington, this deserves the full-court press. It is important to cite Article 1, Section 24 of the Washington State Constitution, rather than the Second Ammendment. Our constitution specifically articulates that the right to bear arms is an individual right about self-defense that shall not be impaired.

Thanks in advance for your action!

C Paul Lincoln

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links