Seattle Mayor to issue BAN on concealed weapons/Victim speaks out against ban: Merged

This is a discussion on Seattle Mayor to issue BAN on concealed weapons/Victim speaks out against ban: Merged within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These might come in handy -- the complete email distribution lists for the Washington State senate and house of representatives. Use them as you see ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seattle Mayor to issue BAN on concealed weapons/Victim speaks out against ban: Merged

These might come in handy -- the complete email distribution lists for the Washington State senate and house of representatives. Use them as you see appropriate:

"WA SENATE": benton.don@leg.wa.gov, berkey.jean@leg.wa.gov, brandland.dale@leg.wa.gov, brown.lisa@leg.wa.gov, carrell.michael@leg.wa.gov, delvin.jerome@leg.wa.gov, eide.tracey@leg.wa.gov, fairley.darlene@leg.wa.gov, franklin.rosa@leg.wa.gov, fraser.karen@leg.wa.gov, hargrove.jim@leg.wa.gov, hatfield.brian@leg.wa.gov, haugen.marymargaret@leg.wa.gov, hewitt.mike@leg.wa.gov, hobbs.steve@leg.wa.gov, holmquist.janea@leg.wa.gov, honeyford.jim@leg.wa.gov, jacobsen.ken@leg.wa.gov, kastama.jim@leg.wa.gov, kauffman.claudia@leg.wa.gov, keiser.karen@leg.wa.gov, kilmer.derek@leg.wa.gov, king.curtis@leg.wa.gov, kline.adam@leg.wa.gov, kohl-welles.jeanne@leg.wa.gov, marr.chris@leg.wa.gov, mcauliffe.rosemary@leg.wa.gov, mccaslin.bob@leg.wa.gov, mcdermott.joe@leg.wa.gov, morton.bob@leg.wa.gov, murray.edward@leg.wa.gov, oemig.eric@leg.wa.gov, parlette.linda@leg.wa.gov, pflug.cheryl@leg.wa.gov, prentice.margarita@leg.wa.gov, pridemore.craig@leg.wa.gov, rasmussen.marilyn@leg.wa.gov, regala.debbie@leg.wa.gov, roach.pam@leg.wa.gov, rockefeller.phil@leg.wa.gov, schoesler.mark@leg.wa.gov, sheldon.timothy@leg.wa.gov, shin.paull@leg.wa.gov, spanel.harriet@leg.wa.gov, stevens.val@leg.wa.gov, swecker.dan@leg.wa.gov, tom.rodney@leg.wa.gov, weinstein.brian@leg.wa.gov, zarelli.joseph@leg.wa.gov;

"WA HOUSE": ahern.john@leg.wa.gov, alexander.gary@leg.wa.gov, anderson.glenn@leg.wa.gov, appleton.sherry@leg.wa.gov, armstrong.mike@leg.wa.gov, bailey.barbara@leg.wa.gov, barlow.don@leg.wa.gov, blake.brian@leg.wa.gov, campbell.tom@leg.wa.gov, chandler.bruce@leg.wa.gov, chase.maralyn@leg.wa.gov, chopp.frank@leg.wa.gov, clibborn.judy@leg.wa.gov, cody.eileen@leg.wa.gov, condotta.cary@leg.wa.gov, conway.steve@leg.wa.gov, crouse.larry@leg.wa.gov, darneille.j@leg.wa.gov, debolt.richard@leg.wa.gov, dickerson.marylou@leg.wa.gov, dunn.jim@leg.wa.gov, dunshee.hans@leg.wa.gov, eddy.deborah@leg.wa.gov, eickmeyer.william@leg.wa.gov, ericks.mark@leg.wa.gov, ericksen.doug@leg.wa.gov, flannigan.dennis@leg.wa.gov, fromhold.bill@leg.wa.gov, goodman.roger@leg.wa.gov, grant.william@leg.wa.gov, green.tami@leg.wa.gov, haigh.kathy@leg.wa.gov, haler.larry@leg.wa.gov, hankins.shirley@leg.wa.gov, hasegawa.bob@leg.wa.gov, herrera.jaime@leg.wa.gov, hinkle.bill@leg.wa.gov, hunt.sam@leg.wa.gov, hunter.ross@leg.wa.gov, hurst.christopher@leg.wa.gov, jarrett.fred@leg.wa.gov, kagi.ruth@leg.wa.gov, kelley.troy@leg.wa.gov, kenney.phyllis@leg.wa.gov, kessler.lynn@leg.wa.gov, kirby.steve@leg.wa.gov, kretz.joel@leg.wa.gov, kristiansen.dan@leg.wa.gov, lantz.patricia@leg.wa.gov, liias.marko@leg.wa.gov, linville.kelli@leg.wa.gov, loomis.liz@leg.wa.gov, mccoy.john@leg.wa.gov, mccune.jim@leg.wa.gov, mcintire.jim@leg.wa.gov, miloscia.mark@leg.wa.gov, moeller.jim@leg.wa.gov, morrell.dawn@leg.wa.gov, morris.jeff@leg.wa.gov, nelson.sharon@leg.wa.gov, newhouse.dan@leg.wa.gov, obrien.al@leg.wa.gov, orcutt.ed@leg.wa.gov, ormsby.timm@leg.wa.gov, pearson.kirk@leg.wa.gov, pedersen.jamie@leg.wa.gov, pettigrew.eric@leg.wa.gov, priest.skip@leg.wa.gov, quall.dave@leg.wa.gov, roach.dan@leg.wa.gov, roberts.maryhelen@leg.wa.gov, rodne.jay@leg.wa.gov, rolfes.christine@leg.wa.gov, ross.charles@leg.wa.gov, santos.sharon@leg.wa.gov, schindler.lynn@leg.wa.gov, schmick.joe@leg.wa.gov, schual-berke.shay@leg.wa.gov, seaquist.larry@leg.wa.gov, sells.mike@leg.wa.gov, simpson.geoff@leg.wa.gov, skinner.mary@leg.wa.gov, smith.norma@leg.wa.gov, sommers.helen@leg.wa.gov, springer.larry@leg.wa.gov, sullivan.pat@leg.wa.gov, sump.bob@leg.wa.gov, takko.dean@leg.wa.gov, upthegrove.dave@leg.wa.gov, vandewege.kevin@leg.wa.gov, wallace.deb@leg.wa.gov, walsh.maureen@leg.wa.gov, warnick.judy@leg.wa.gov, williams.brendan@leg.wa.gov, wood.alex@leg.wa.gov;

Just cut and paste. Sorry, I don't have these as a distribution list.

C Paul

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    So the article here says that "executive orders do not generally apply to the public, and are orders given to direct the actions of city employees". This obviously means that the order he just signed does not affect the Citizens. It can't, it's illegal. Am I right here?
    What it looks like he's doing is exactly what I was worried about. It's nasty trickery to get around WA state law that says no one can create stricter gun laws than the state. The law is very specific about this regarding firearms. So what he did was to issue an executive order to all Seattle organizations, parks, recreation, festivals, museums, LEOs, etc, ordering them to individually create new policies that will forbid concealed weapons on these properties.

So he's technically not actually creating any new laws... He's just telling these organizations that they should not allow concealed weapons carriers on their property, a sort of defacto no-trespassing-zone for CPL holders. Expect to see those "NO GUNS" signs you see often in some other states. Also expect more pat-downs and metal detectors at public events and festivals. So while the executive order itself is issued to city employees, public citizens and CPL holders are the ones effected in turn. If you violate the no-guns signs and policies, you will be asked to leave, and if you refuse, you will be arrested for trespassing.

It's a dirty, dirty trick and I really hope we can do something to stand against it. I've already written a letter to the Mayor's office and will follow that up with e-mails to the representatives.

As Washington CPL holders we've paid the taxes and fees and gone through all the application processes so that we would be in compliance with state law for defending ourselves. Now, using dirty tricks, the Mayor had undermined state law and our ability to carry in large portions of Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
    What it looks like he's doing is exactly what I was worried about. It's nasty trickery to get around WA state law that says no one can create stricter gun laws than the state.
    What hasnít the NRA already taken them to court?

Like I said, an executive order is not criminally enforcible...so when someone gets arrested for carrying in one of the city's "gun free city zones" I hope they get a lawyer and sue the sh*t out of that a$$. It's plain and simple: executive orders are not enforcible by penal code, and therefor are NOT grounds for arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    Like I said, an executive order is not criminally enforcible...so when someone gets arrested for carrying in one of the city's "gun free city zones" I hope they get a lawyer and sue the sh*t out of that a$$. It's plain and simple: executive orders are not enforcible by penal code, and therefor are NOT grounds for arrest.
    What will likely happen is they will get arrested for trespassing, not carrying. But yeah, hopefully this nonsense gets blown away tested in court, and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
    What will likely happen is they will get arrested for trespassing, not carrying. But yeah, hopefully this nonsense gets blown away tested in court, and fast.
    I agree man,
    but yeah they have to tell the individual to leave the property in question first. At that point the person has to refuse to leave the premises for the act of criminal trespassing to be complete. This is straight from the book "Criminal Law for Police Officers", which I used while in college. SO, they'll have a tough time with trespassing charges too!

Victim of Seattle Shooting Speaks Out Against Mayors New Ban

I couldn't believe this when I first read it. One of the victims of the shooting that took place at Seattle's Folklife festival is speaking out against the Mayor's ridiculous new ban on concealed carry on all city property.

Sarah Thorsnes, a 21-year-old who was shot in the thigh, said she appreciates the mayor's efforts but does not support his prohibition.

"It's putting a strain on people who have a right to own guns and should know how to use them properly," said Thorsnes, who lives in Renton. "I still stand behind needing to look at mental health as a problem rather than banning guns from people who have a right to have them and use them properly."

Glad to see some non CCW people are against this,and a victim nonetheless

Heres the link

Local News | Seattle gun ban ordered drawn up by Mayor Greg Nickels | Seattle Times Newspaper

+1. That is good to see. A victim opposing a knee-jerk political reaction.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

WOW...good for her! If I had her email I would send her a thank you and an atta-girl for that!!!!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Impressive! Good for her!
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

The gun didn't just go off and shoot her.
    Some guy with mental issues and poor judgment did.

Ms. Thornses is just being sane and sensible.
    In a car accident that hurts another folk don't call for a ban on Ford or Chevrolet or cars in general. When Princess Di died there was no call for a ban on chauffeur driven vehicles. Any call to do so would have been met with counter calls of 'you're an idiot'.

The mayor of Seattle is being an idiot and Ms. Thornses the victim is simply calling it as she sees it, and felt it.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Way to go. We need more people that think about their responses rather than take a knee-jerk approach. I applaud her.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

What a positive turn of events. She must be an impressive person to keep her head like this in such a difficult situation.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

Gee.... is she running for president ? A "wise" girl for 21... I congratulate her for showing much more rationale and intelligence, than the mayor has.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The mayor of Seattle is being an idiot and Ms. Thornses the victim is simply calling it as she sees it, and felt it.
    Well, it is the same guy who thought it was a good idea to make it illegal to sell (have?) bottled water in Seattle.

-john

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links