Seattle Mayor to issue BAN on concealed weapons/Victim speaks out against ban: Merged

This is a discussion on Seattle Mayor to issue BAN on concealed weapons/Victim speaks out against ban: Merged within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod I'm sure if an executive order was filed, a lawsuit would soon follow. It probably won't fly anyway. But I ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seattle Mayor to issue BAN on concealed weapons/Victim speaks out against ban: Merged

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'm sure if an executive order was filed, a lawsuit would soon follow. It probably won't fly anyway.
    But I think this mayor couldn't care less if it gets tied up in the courts. The same goes for Washington D.C., Chicago, San Fran, New York City, etc. It doesn't really cost them anything since it's the taxpayers money they're using to fight the lawsuits.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

2. Remove Ads

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    If the gun owners of Washington state sit back and let this happen then they deserve what they get. They ought to be raising holy hell and organizing marches to protest this idiocy.

Marches accomplish nothing.

Taking the Major to court for violating our state preemption legislation, however, would work fine. He'd have to arrest someone first however.

Anyone gets arrested for carrying a concealed weapon in Seattle with a proper license, drop me a PM, I'll help hook you up with some lawyers.

Marches accomplish nothing.
    I respectfully disagree.

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

+10.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

My intent is to ask a certain senator to sponsor a bill that will ammend the state pre-emption on firearms:

(underlined text reflects the additions to the current statute)

RCW 9.41.290
    State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter; no agency, governmental division, or program that receives state funds shall implement or impose any ordinance, rule, or policy which is more restrictive that state statute. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances, rules, or policies that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

This fixes several problems that have come up in Washington the last few years, including firearm bans in parks, on university campuses, and Mayor Nickle's steaming pile of bovine excrement.

Possibly including in the same bill a pre-emption on dangerous weapons and less-than-lethal devices is something else I'll try to get the senator to consider. I can legally carry a fixed-blade knife in Lewis County, but not in Seattle. I can carry a Tazer in Olympia, but not in Bellingham. For the same reasons that the state pre-empted firearms, other weapons need the same consistency in law.

C Paul Lincoln

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    My intent is to ask a certain senator to sponsor a bill that will ammend the state pre-emption on firearms:

While you're at it, ask him/her to fix our suppressor rules :-)

And SBRs if you're shooting for the moon :-)

The liberals seem to come up with a steady stream of "well intentioned" ideas but they always seem to be oriented in the direction of controlling people's behavior. That is to say, each of their "well intentioned" laws chips away at our liberty.
    As we know the road to hell is paved with good intentions

If the gun owners of Washington state sit back and let this happen then they deserve what they get. They ought to be raising holy hell and organizing marches to protest this idiocy.
    Second Amendment Foundation is located in Bellevue a Seattle suburb. Second Amendment Foundation has already filed a lawsuit. This is one liberal California path we will NOT be going down. Except for the I-5 corridor Washington still remains a fairly civilized state
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Does Washington have pre-emption? If so this won't fly. Big liberal cities like to throw hissy fits a lot. Case and point, Philly.

This makes me wonder. Is there any restrictions against gun license holders in a protest march actually carrying their firearms?

If not i'm sure the march would get alot of media attention. I'm just not so sure it would be good. I suspect the mainstream media would try to terroize people with the fact that "Armed Protesters" are rampaging down their streets.

I do love the idea of a march, i'm afraid of how it would be twisted to make it look bad.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Does Washington have pre-emption? If so this won't fly. Big liberal cities like to throw hissy fits a lot. Case and point, Philly.
    Yes Washington has peremtion laws but mayor nickels is a wack job fat greasy sheltered slob completly out of touch with the real world. This past year he has been on a rampage, passing executive orders in attemot to control every aspect of the Peoples Republic Seattles lives. The real problem as I see it is if this stands it sets precident for the rest of the state
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I personally boycott Seattle/ I carry a fixed blade knife everywhere I go, since Seattle passed an ordinance agaonst it I never go accross the Seattle City limits. There is no longer anything I need in Seattle since I retired. I urge all Washington Residents to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    There is no longer anything I need in Seattle since I retired. I urge all Washington Residents to do the same.
    Amen. I'm here riding the gravy train until retirement. After that we're gone ...

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Has anyone heard anything more one this. One of the news reports local channel 13 initially reported. The incident started when of members of the bongo beating bozo tribe saw Clinton Chad Grainger ankle carried revolver. Ten or fifteen white neon neo hippies with purple green & blue colored hair in rasta braids and 22 pounds of facial piercing, tattooed head to toe with a tribute to 1930s sunday comics page as done by a four year old wearing knee high plaid golfers pants and sandals, greek togas and platform shoes or kilts and combat boots jumped on Clinton Chad Grainger in an attempt to disarm him. It was during the ensuing struggle that the gun discharged hitting two people. That version of the story only played once. All other reports have focused on the "alleged mental health issues and so called drug addiction. Anyway one hear anything more on the case of if there were other reports along these lines?
    Seems it would be greta to be able to expose the mayors illegal ban being based a flagrant distortion of facts

The last report I heard was that those who actually witness the incident said Mr. Grainger looked at one of the hippies and aksed "what the [Edited] are you looking at". When the hippie turned to walk off Mr. Grainger hit him in the back of the head, the two started struglling and fell to the ground. While on the ground Mr. Grainger's gun became exposed and he reached it. The other fellow grabbed it first and it started going off. Evey one of those close enough to actually see what happened said that Mr. Grainger started the whole thing and seemed to be looking for a fight to start. I don't remember if his case has come to trial yet but Mr. Grainger has been charged and the hippie has not.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; August 30th, 2008 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Has anyone heard anything more one this.
    No jail for Folklife shooter - Seattle PI
    Plea deal mandates community supervision, accepts time served

Clinton Chad Grainger, who spent 78 days in jail following the May 24 shooting, was sentenced to time served Friday after pleading guilty to two counts of third-degree assault.

Grainger had initially faced a more serious second-degree assault charge, which could have carried a nearly four-year prison term. Prosecutors reduced the charges as part of a plea deal, granted in part because the shooting did not appear to have been intentional.
    Summary of the event, according to the article:

Grainger had become involved in a scuffle with an acquaintance at the festival, Hammer said. The second man lunged for a holster holding the weapon on Grainger's ankle in an attempt to seize the gun and use it against Grainger.

The Glock pistol, Hammer said, discharged as the men wrestled with the gun.
    Oddly, his attorney, Kearney Lee Hammer, seemed to on the prosecution's side:

Grainger's attorney, Kearney Lee Hammer, told Judge Michael Trickey his client was "criminally negligent" to bring a loaded pistol to the Seattle Center festival.
    "For people who think they need a gun in a public place, they should have second thoughts," Hammer told Trickey.

"No kidding," the judge answered, without humor.

After an apology from Grainger, Trickey called the 22-year-old's decision to bring a gun to a crowded public gathering "a colossal lapse of judgment."
    It does sound like there was evidence of past substance abuse:

Grainger was also ordered to continue treatment for heroin addiction.
    Sounds like no evidence of mental defect:

Despite earlier statements to the contrary, prosecutors did not offer any evidence Friday that Grainger suffers from the mental illness.

"He has never had any schizophrenia," Hammer said. "He was legally qualified to possess a firearm."
    But the kicker:

The conviction, however, bars Grainger from carrying a gun in the future.
    Note:

1) Judge thought he shouldn't be carrying at a public event although legal.
    2) His lawyer thought he shouldn't be carrying at a public event although legal.

It isn't clear who was at fault in the initial scuffle, but in addition to being chewed up by the media, he was convicted of third degree assault and lost his CCW.

I guess it just reinforces:

1) Keep in concealed!
    2) Avoid trouble!

-john

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I personally boycott Seattle/ I carry a fixed blade knife everywhere I go, since Seattle passed an ordinance agaonst it I never go accross the Seattle City limits. There is no longer anything I need in Seattle since I retired. I urge all Washington Residents to do the same.
    Philly passed a "law" banning handguns with more then 10 rounds. I make it a point to carry my 15+1 round EAA Witness. If I get arrested for a law that is not legit, that my friend is official oppression. PA law comes over city law (pre-emption). if the state laws says its ok, thats the law I follow. I'm not going to let some liberal mayor control my life if he is the one outside of the law... thats just IMO tho

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links