Back Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on Back Pocket Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I'm waiting for the LCP to arrive, I'm trying to decide on where to carry. I was leaning toward ankle until I saw one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Pocket Carry

Back Pocket Carry

As I'm waiting for the LCP to arrive, I'm trying to decide on where to carry. I was leaning toward ankle until I saw one of those neat back pocket holsters.

I currently have my right back pocket empty all the time. A couple of questions.

1. The right hand is my off hand. Is it possible to practice "off" hand draw and become proficient (or as part of the draw change hands).

2. Has anyone heard of someone getting their gun pickpocketed?
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

I think you can become proficient at "off" hand draw, but why couldn't you keep your gun in your left pocket and, instead, keep your wallet in your right? It might take some time to get use to the switch, but it just doesn't seem to be a good idea to try and change hands while drawing.

I couldn't imagine you wouldn't notice someone trying to lift your gun from your pocket, but I imagine if you go to crowded places, you might want to get a different holster for those occasions.

Administrator
    Sometimes pickpockets take a brand new razor blade and just gently slit the pocket. Many people do not know that their wallet is gone from their back pocket if the pickpocket is a pro.

I don't know of anybody that ever had a firearm picked out their pocket though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Just don't do what a guy did here..... putting it back into his pocket and accidently shot himself in the butt. That had to be painful on 2 or 3 different levels.

I front pocket my Kel-Tec P32 more than back pocket. Use a Desantis Nemesis holster.
    Hand can be on gun in front pocket and look normal.
    "An armed society is a polite society"

I'm a fan of back-pocket carry. It's extremely discreet and comfortable with the lightest of clothing. In a "give me your money" type scenario, the draw is natural and covert. However, my right back-pocket is my strong side. Although I'm a big proponent of practicing with the weak hand, I don't think I'd carry on my weak side.

I agree with drmclain, have you considered moving your wallet to the right and carrying on the left? I know how hard it is to break the habits of a lifetime, but it can be done......and IMHO it makes a lot of sense in this case.

Stay safe.

I carry my LCP in my back pocket ,strong side. In a galco pocket holster, no problems. Its my BUG to my glock 27

When I DO carry my KT P-3AT...it's in a front pocket kydex holster...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The only problem I have is having to move it to another pocket when I sit down.
    Member: NRA & GSSF
    Glock Certified Armorer
    *Oderint Dum Metuant*
    "You don't shoot to kill.... You shoot to survive."

I do carry my LCP in my weak side back pocket. If my strong hand is good, I'll be going for my primary weapon, a 1911 IWB strong side. Here's a great holster...
    #21 Concealment Wallet Holster
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I carry front pocket with the LCP -- Holly purse carries. I've tried backpocket, but it's a tight fit; especially with a holster. I do however like the feel of the draw, it's just a little slower for me. Heh, GIVE ME YOUR MONEY! What a surprise they'd get when reaching back to give them your "wallet"....
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Back Pocket

I carry my Kel Tec in my right rear pocket all the time. Even though I change my primary gun according to my mood, the KT is my constant BUG. Drawing and firing weak handed is just a matter of training time. Most likely the action will be up close and possibly one handed, if you have to aim to take a longer shot you might have time to switch to your strong hand or at least get two hands on the gun. One problem I have found with carrying in the left back pocket is that the magazine release is no longer cushioned by my butt and if I sit on a hard chair for example, the mag can release. In the right pocket, the mag release is not exposed. I use an old Uncle Mike's pocket holster, maybe one with more padding around the mag release would help. Mine is over 10 years old and will probably last another 20 or so by the looks of it. I typically carry my primary IWB with an untucked t shirt, Hawiian shirt, or Guyabarra. It covers the back pocket anyway so I think getting it picked would be unlikely. Get a little bit of velcro sewn into the top of the pocket to seal it closed if it's a concern for you.

I carry my wallet in my left back pocket so if I am asked for my wallet at gun point I can throw the wallet at the perps face while I use my strong hand to draw my handgun from my IWB holster.

I had to learn to carry the wallet in the left pocket as I have always carried it in my right rear pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I do carry my LCP in my weak side back pocket. If my strong hand is good, I'll be going for my primary weapon, a 1911 IWB strong side. Here's a great holster...
    #21 Concealment Wallet Holster
    I carry in my right rear pocket (I'm right-handed). I notice that in picture linked to above, the pistol is positioned with the slide inboard, and drawn with the back of the hand toward the person's butt. I carry my pistol turned the other way, with the slide positioned outboard, and draw with my palm towards my butt. I find that sitting with the slide outboard is more comfortable. Either way, the weapon is not easily accessible when seated.

As far as the pick-pocket question, I usually wear a cover shirt, and with my hand at my side I can feel the slide as I stand or walk.

If I'm going to be in stop-and-go urban traffic, I don't rear-pocket carry in the car, and for motorcycle carry, I have a concealment vest which positions the gun below my left armpit.

I've usually got the G26 IWB. But sometimes I carry my KelTec P3AT and when I do it is in a Galco Pocket Protector in my right rear pocket. I hardly know that it is back there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links