How Many Rounds For CCW

This is a discussion on How Many Rounds For CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have either my HK USP45 with 12 in the mag and 1 in the pipe, and 2, 12 round mags. Or, 1 extra 12 ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How Many Rounds For CCW

I have either my HK USP45 with 12 in the mag and 1 in the pipe, and 2, 12 round mags. Or, 1 extra 12 round mag and a flashlight in the light/mag pouch
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Scott F
    I have looked and read everything I can find and I have not seen anywhere where a civilian following legal rules of engagement for defense has run out of ammunition or even where someone had to reload.
    That's something not normally reported. Either it's a good shoot or it's not, whether you've fired once or eighteen hundred times.

Running out of ammo is relatively common - some folks will fire until slide lock. I recall a pizza delivery guy a year or so back that did.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

He went to slidelock because he only had 8 shots. :)

I replied to Scott's question on another board, but having read the responses here, I wanted to comment on a thing or two.

The point of the Tueller drill is a good one. The thing to remember is that people don't usually fall down dead when shot unless you hit CNS which is very unlikely on a moving target.

What will increase your chances of stopping those BG's closing in on you that you made a well placed shot on, but they are still coming?

How about more rounds? You can't "shoot him to the ground" with an empty gun and you can't make a mag chance fast enough.

Rules to live or die by:
    1. You can not out draw a drawn gun.
    2. You can not reload faster than I can pull the trigger on my half empty hi-cap gun.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter
    He went to slidelock because he only had 8 shots. :)
    Nope, was in excess of 12 - one of the hi-cap Ruger P-series if I recall correctly.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Thank you all for the input and thank you Jim twice. I have taken in ALL that was said and I am pondering and sorting the information.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results... Why keep shooting someone if that isn't doing you any good? Of course I concede the point that even the frostiest people will empty the magazine into their assailant. It's a natural reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    ... Why keep shooting someone if that isn't doing you any good?
    Ask a boxer why he continues to punch if the first blow wasn't a knockout?

Personally, if however many rounds didn't eliminate the threat, said threat will continue to receive rounds until he/she/it ceases hostile behavior, whether it's five or thirty.

As far as how many to carry, with an auto carry a full gun plus a spare mag, minimum. My $0.02.

SSKC

This is not wisdom from me but from others.

Round count is not as important as having a spare magazine as this part is prone to failure and easily replaced.

I am guilty of carrying without a spare at times, as easy as it is to conceal a mag, it is foolish.

My CCW is an SP101(5 shot) although sometimes I do carry my Rossi(6 shots)....so I haven't NEEDED any shots....although I have been considering getting a Glock 26,just for the extra rounds.....I don't feel undergunned w/ the SP...but then I get on the net and start listening to the "tactical ninjas" and I get all concerned
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Howdy all!

There have been multiple cases over the years in which a perp has been shot literally dozens of times before going down. The truth is that handguns, regardless of caliber and ammunition selection are just not very good "stoppers".
    Having said that, the "average" number of shots fired in defensive engagements stood somewhere between 2.9 and 3.1 for decades until "wondernines" and later hi-cap .40's replaced revolvers as standard service weapons. The newest figures are about twice those numbers, but that may well be attributed to the fact that many persons, having limited training and insufficient practice have adopted a "spray and pray" approach to go along with the higher capacity guns.
    Elmer Keith (The father of the .44 magnum and one of the world's foremost authorities on the real world use of handguns for you guys too young to know about him) was quoted as saying "You should shoot the biggest damn gun that you can shoot well" when dealing with dangerous game such as big bears. Since a man with a handgun can kill you just as dead as a bear, it would seem that it would apply here as well. Keep in mind the words "shoot well". ALL handguns pale in comparison to a rifle or shotgun for stopping power, so shot placement becomes even more critical.
    So, if the largest caliber that you can place a shot with consistently is a .38 spl or a 9mm, then go with that. If you can shoot a .45 acp well, then it is probably a better choice. (And no, a .44 mag is NOT a better defensive round than a .45 acp due to the massive flash/blast that cause an extended recovery time between rounds fired.) The key is in proper training and practice so that you can put a round thru the heart or brainpan of a BG when he is about to otherwise kill you.
    As a side note: For those of you that carry an autopistol, ALWAYS carry a spare mag - you may not necessarily need a reload, but you will need it if you ever encounter a doublefeed jam.
    And finally, ( I am about to shut up and get down off of my soap box, I promise) for those who believe that you cannot effectively conceal a 5" 1911, I would direct you to ask our forum boss, aka Bumper about his experiences with his Max-Con V.
    I hope that this has helped. What it all boils down to is this:

1. Training and skill are more important than equipment.(Although there is no such thing as too much ammo in a gunfight)

2. You cannot anticipate every possible situation.

3.Training and skill are more important than equipment.

4. Training and skill are more important than equipment.

Please feel free to contact me if there is anything that I can do to help. Good luck.

I can't really in good concience give advice in this arena as all of those who have posted have far more experience than I. I can say that carrying a full size 1911 with the proper holster is completely doable - and well. I have been doing that for two months now with no problems - and a spare mag in the left pocket (still haven't bought a mag pouch but am practicing reloads from the pocket.)

That said, I 'feel' comfortable with my five shot SP101 and a speedloader in normal circumstances. If I was going to go into a bit more dangerous area - I would definitely have my 1911 on me. But to be honest it's not for capacity reasons - I'm just more confident I can put the bullets where I need them to be.

hmm, well I have a 15+1 mag in my gun...if I carry a reload, thats another 15 rounds....I'd say 31 rounds of JHP's should get me through my day at the office.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Whatever gun I'm carrying at the time, I carry a spare mag:
    1911 - 7+1 +8 in spare
    CZ P-01 - 14+1 +14 in spare
    Keltec P3AT - 6+1 +6 in spare

I carry the spare mag more as a backup if I have mag problems than as insurance if I am involved in a firefight.

While it's a question everyone must answer for themselves, my personal preference is in line with what these guys have already stated:

SSKD: "... carry a full gun plus a spare mag, minimum." I apply that to whatever gun I'm going to carry, auto OR revolver.

Elmer Keith via Gary Brommeland: "... You should shoot the biggest damn gun that you can shoot well."

While I prefer to carry a 1911 with at least one spare mag (8+1+8), my current edc is a 5 shot J-frame in .38spl. +P with one reload (either a speedloader in the pocket or a Bianchi speedstrip in a belt pouch). With cool weather coming, the J-frame will soon be swapped out for my 6 shot .357 K-frame with reloads carried same as above. And I always carry at least one Benchmade, that part is non-negotiable.

I hope to add a new 1911 to my carry options as soon as finances allow but for the time being, I'm comfortable with my carry choices.
    Good luck with your decision,
    Jack

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    It is a comfort level, not a minimum required when asking others. There will never be a way to know if you're carrying enough until afterwards. If the attack has stopped and I have one left in the tube, then I had enough.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links