Defensive Carry banner

Send an e-mail today to the US Humane Society

2K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  kentuckycarry 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Dear Friend,

Our national parks are among the few remaining safe havens for wildlife. However, park rangers are struggling to stay one step ahead of the poachers. In a reckless about-face on the issue triggered by pressure from the radical leaders of the National Rifle Association (NRA), the National Park Service is considering a change in the law that would allow park visitors to carry loaded weapons in national parks. Please speak out to keep wildlife safe.

The illegal killing of wildlife in the United States has reached epidemic proportions. Wildlife officials estimate that for every wild animal hunted legally -- tens of millions of animals per year -- another is killed illegally. And with scarce wildlife enforcement resources and countless acres of open land, only a handful of poachers are caught and punished for their crimes.

Allowing loaded weapons will give cover to poachers who would take aim at park wildlife. Currently, the presence of a loaded weapon is the main clue available for rangers in discovering and identifying poachers.

TAKE ACTION
Help park rangers protect wildlife and stop the NRA's latest assault on America's wildlife. Send a message to government officials and ask that they keep loaded weapons out of national parks. Please tell your friends and family how they can help, too.

The government is only accepting comments until the end of the month, so please take action now. Thank you for all you do for animals!

Sincerely,

Wayne Pacelle
President & CEO
The Humane Society of the United States

:stone:
the presence of a loaded weapon is the main clue available for rangers in discovering and identifying poachers.

I thought killing game out of season or without a license would have been a better clue. :twak:

#3 ·
Please watch sending an email through the links of this site. They have their system setup so that you can add test to the message you are sending but there is a paragraph that is locked in. My guess is only the first few lines of the message will be read not the portion we write that explains why they should allow conceal carry. Just an FYI

On a side note, how does carrying a weapon make me poacher? Does driving a car make me a drunk driver? because i own a saw does that mean i will clear cut forest?

#4 ·
Dear Ms. Grey,
Having grown up in Southwestern Colorado and enjoyed the many parks throughout the state, and as I currently enjoy the recreational opportunities afforded by the state of Oklahoma, I take some issue with the juvenile and alarmist posturing of Mr. Wayne Pacelle of the Humane Society on the issue of allowing legal carry of firearms in the National Parks.

Recognizing the responsibilities and risks faced by the Park Service in providing for the welfare of both the flora and fauna of our national resources as well as the welfare of not infrequently inept and unprepared visitors, I can understand reluctance on the part of the Service to allow open or concealed carry of firearms in the Parks. However, equating concealed carry with poaching is fear-mongering of the worst sort; akin to equating day-care workers with child-abusers.

Having experience with concealed carry, and experience meeting both poachers and drug cultivators in the National Forests, I would strongly urge you to support the responsible citizens of the respective states who comply with higher standards of training and criminal background checks than most any of your other visitors (other than vacationing Military and Police.) Allowing these citizens to ensure their individual welfare will decrease both the burden on the Service, and may in some measure decrease the occasional violent criminal behavior exhibited by some persons, if the experience of shall-issue states is any indication.

My sincere thanks for your responsible, reasonable, consideration of this issue.
Thank you for drawing my attention to this issue, Spanky Pacelle.:wave:

Quite right, Pony. I went directly to Fish & Wildlife's site.

#5 ·
Wayne Pacelle.

We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding ...One generation and out. We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding.
- Animal People News (May 1, 1993)

We would be foolish and silly not to unite with people in the public health sector, the environmental community, [and] unions, to try to challenge corporate agriculture.
- “Animal Rights 2002” convention (July 1, 2002)

If we could shut down all sport hunting in a moment, we would.
- Associated Press (December 30, 1991)

Our goal is to get sport hunting in the same category as cock fighting and dog fighting.
- Bozeman (MT) Daily Chronicle (October 8, 1991)

We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States ... We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped in California. Then we will take it state by state.
- Full Cry magazine (October 1, 1990)

#7 ·
These people......... I mean what can you say?:twak:
These country is spilling over with stupid!

#6 ·
They also do not allow CC at their facilities here. I asked them why, and they couldn't give an answer.

Ok.. now who the hell would poach animals with a 9mm handgun ?? Let's see , the first clues may be.... uh, hand gun.... uh , rifle.... handgun... rifle. The rifle is the long one, used by poachers .... LOL.

#12 ·
+1.

We adopted a dog and had to pay quite a bit for expenses incurred since the dog was left there. Ever since then we've been solicited for donations several times a year. A year later a neighborhood stray had kittens in my shed. I called the Humane Society to arrange a delivery only to find it would cost me a $25 (donation) per cat. I ended up finding homes for all of them that didn't cost me anything.

Of course this cat hung around the neighborhood constantly having kittens but they wouldn't do anything about it. Luckily our neighbor was the chief of police and he called them up and told them to get their butts down right away to pick up the strays.

Somehow these guys are non-profit. :aargh4:

#10 ·
Tactical i told my self i would not respond to your post but then again i never listen to anyone, including my self. I actually am in agreement with you i would never hunt/kill to needlessly take a life. but i do hunt and kill for meat. I am not sure if this is in your realm of needless or not, if it is I will respectfully disagree. As some of us do hunt ethically and respect the animals that we do take. However i would never call someone stupid for disagreeing with my view point, i just wouldn't take them hunting with me :)

#11 ·
Tactical ...i would never hunt/kill to needlessly take a life. but i do hunt and kill for meat. I am not sure if this is in your realm of needless or not, if it is I will respectfully disagree. As some of us do hunt ethically and respect the animals that we do take.
+1

Tactical....I assume you are a vegetarian and don't eat any meat or fish. (If not than you're just paying someone else to do your dirty work)

I respect everyone's opinion and values. Some just aren't cut out for hunting, or haven't been exposed to it. And that's fine as long as they don't trample on the rights and traditions of the rest of us.

Just because someone has a CCW doesn't make them more likely to be a poacher, IMO. This poaching issue is just being used as an avenue by the antis to make more laws against our 2A rights to carry.

#13 ·
please don't confuse the US humane society, with this fringe group that calls themselves the 'The Humane Society of the United States'....they are not the same group, nor do they save puppies and kitties for adoption...
they are a PETA type organization with a lying name, so people are confused as to who they really are.

#16 ·
KRM lol that was just wrong, but then again it is lunch time. Again tatical i will respect your opinion but will disagree. Although i must say it is great to see someone who is against the hunting and killing of animals actually be able to back it up with their life style choice, Never understood someone who would not eat red meat because they didn't beleive in killing animals but would eat fish and chicken. And your point is correct i do not HAVE to eat meat but boy i sure do LIKE to. Keep in mind though hunting does provide a service to the aminals as a whole, just not to the ones in my freezer.

#18 ·
[sarcasm]This needs to go through. There aren't enough Whitetail in the Smokies for me to crash my motorcycle into, so we need to stop poaching which is usually done by folks carrying 9mms, .38s, and .45s.[/sarcasm]

and to think that I know Jews that are opposed to eating per instruction of the Bible

I hunt. It helps keep the deer out of my gardens. Then I can get my chiles, tomatoes, and onions easier.

But I guess we should pass a law that tells the coyotes to stop hunting conejos and turkeys; animal rights, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.