Practicing carrying

This is a discussion on Practicing carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As i await the arrival of my much anticipated Utah permit. I have been practicing carrying at home. I have found that the most comfortable ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practicing carrying

Practicing carrying

As i await the arrival of my much anticipated Utah permit. I have been practicing carrying at home. I have found that the most comfortable place for me, is behind my right hip. I have found that i can sit and do everything normal in this position. But a couple of things i have noticed. First, apparently my pants are a little tighter around the waist than i thought (those darn dryers keep shrinking my clothes :) Second i thin i am printing quite a bit with the grip of the gun. I carry a kimber ultra carry II so it is not a large gun and even my SKYY CPX1 does the same thing. I have a cheap holster, but not sure how a better holster would fix the issue. The other issue is after bending over my shirts usually get caught on the gun and sometimes I do not notice. Can not imagine what would happen in a store if that happened. With my perferred carry location, any advice on holsters, clothing, etc you have for me?

2. Remove Ads

How does carrying at 3 o'clock work for you?

A better holster WILL help the matter. Good pancake type holsters will serve to snug the butt of the gun in close to your body. Cheap holsters often fail to do this.

Senior Moderator
    A different holster probably can and WILL fix that problem.

One thing that another holster will do, if you have positioned the gun behind your hip, is put your gun at a cant so that the butt of your firearm is not sticking straight out.

This will help TREMENDOUSLY in the printing department. It will also hold the gun closer to your person to limit printing as well. That, in turn, will certainly help with the butt getting caught up in your clothes when you bend over.

Believe me when I say that a good holster can make ALL the difference in the world.

I carry in the same location and have little problem concealing (except the fact that my ever expanding waist line is making all my clothes (and belts) hard to wear) but concealment still really isn't a problem with the right equipment.

Take a look at the cant this holster holds my gun at and take a look at how closely and snugly it is held to my body.

Now look at it concealed...

A cheaper holster that didn't hold my gun that way would be printing like a newspaper.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Wait til you get in the car.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

A better holster absolutely makes a difference, especially ones that allow you to adjust the cant and ride height of the weapon.
    NRA Member

Lol I hear you on the expanding waist line and actually that is part of my problem with the 3 o'clock postion as well. What i did fail to mention was i am carrying inside the waist band. I actually carry in the 4 to 5 oclock position. although i have found that certain clothes it feels better at 4 and sometimes better at 5

Regarding the car, i thought and read that this would be a problem but for some reason i don't have that issue. not sure why.

Any recommendations for the Kimber ultra carry II inside the waist band holster?

Administrator
    You'll change you mind about ten times on the best spot to carry anyway if your anything like the rest of us... Just find a good holster/belt combo and get out there and figure it out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    LOL.. back before I was pregnant I carried in the same location IWB with either a Milt Sparks VMII or a TT look alike. It concealed just the same way. OWB just became more and more comfy as the little one grew.

Same location, just IWB. I think I have my TT holster on in this picture. Granted, I wasn't trying to be very discreet because I was in my own home and didn't know my picture was being taken, but it's still pretty comfy.

I agree with Sixto. Get a good holster, a good belt, go out and try it out!

Well, Iíll have to agree with you regarding those darn dryers. Iíve gained 10-lbs in the past 10 years and no matter how much I diet, I stay about the same weight.

In any case, regarding printing, Iíll have to agree with others. A quality holster will make all the difference in the world.

I too carry at 4 Oíclock, and find that a quality leather holster makes concealing it a whole lot easier, because a quality holster will have the FBI cant of 15 degrees forward and hold the butt of the pistol close to your side.

Right now Iím carrying a Glock 26 in a SWG slide holster

OWB Holsters

And when itís to hot for that, I carry a Kel-Tek 380 in a nemesis pocket holster

The Nemesis

I also want to add that the public will not/does not notice printing as much as you do; No ware near it, so my advise to you is get a quality holster and donít give it a second thought.

DANG, Lima. Nice array of "cleaning tools":

• Pistol in IWB - Check
    • Spare mag in the event of mechanical failure or multiple BG - Check
    • TDI in the event SHTF and BG gets too close - Check
    • Mr. Clean for after BG have been subdued - Check

Oh, and don't forget the attack cat!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    I really like that TDI knife. I might have to look into those (as well as the legality of carrying a fixed blade).

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Quote Originally Posted by GOPony View Post
    As i await the arrival of my much anticipated Utah permit. I have been practicing carrying at home. I have found that the most comfortable place for me, is behind my right hip. I have found that i can sit and do everything normal in this position. But a couple of things i have noticed. First, apparently my pants are a little tighter around the waist than i thought (those darn dryers keep shrinking my clothes :) Second i thin i am printing quite a bit with the grip of the gun. I carry a kimber ultra carry II so it is not a large gun and even my SKYY CPX1 does the same thing. I have a cheap holster, but not sure how a better holster would fix the issue. The other issue is after bending over my shirts usually get caught on the gun and sometimes I do not notice. Can not imagine what would happen in a store if that happened. With my perferred carry location, any advice on holsters, clothing, etc you have for me?
    Being left handed, I like the 8 o'clock position. I am using a Desantis Speed Scabbard for my two M&P 9s, a full and compact. The cover garment has to be long and loose enough to conceal the handgun entirely. I was walking around Nevada a couple of weeks ago. It was hot and I decided to wear shorts and t-shirt. The t-shirt was long, but it wasn't loose enough to prevent printing. I didn't realize it and I went about my business. Nobody confronted me, but my brother noticed it when I got to his house.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I think I have my TT holster on in this picture.
    hehe....TT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links