Question For Texans ?

Question For Texans ?

This is a discussion on Question For Texans ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What was the name of the woman in Texas who was eating in a Restaurant with her parents when a shooter burst into the place ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question For Texans ?

Administrator

Question Question For Texans ?

What was the name of the woman in Texas who was eating in a Restaurant with her parents when a shooter burst into the place in his vehicle and just started shooting patrons?

Both of her parents were shot/killed.
    Her Father when he attempted to grab the shooter & her Mom when she elected to stay with her husband.

It was a mass shooting and a lot of innocent people were killed or injured.

She then went on to public office and was very instrumental in getting the carry laws changed for the better in TX.

I didn't see it but, that was all the info that I could get from my M In Law who saw it last night on TV.

Anybody have a printed version of her full story?

Or has her story (or her name) already been posted here on DC in the past?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Suzanna Gratia Hupp at Luby's.
    A DAUGHTER'S REGRET (SUZANNA HUPP)
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    A Daughter's Regret

Suzanna Gratia Hupp will live the rest of her life with regret. Had she been carrying her gun the day a madman executed her parents while she cowered helplessly and then fled, she is convinced she could have stopped one of the worst massacres in U.S. history.

She has told the story many times over. Tomorrow she will relate it again before advocates of gun rights in a counter-rally to the Million Mom March. Put yourself in her shoes, she asks, and then think again whether gun control is the answer.

It was October 1991 when an unemployed merchant seaman drove his pickup truck into a Luby's cafeteria in Killeen, Tex., leaped out and opened fire. He killed 23 people and wounded more than 20.

Hupp and her parents were having lunch in the restaurant when the shooting started. Hupp instinctively reached into her purse for her .38-caliber Smith & Wesson, but she had left it in the car. Her father tried to rush the gunman and was shot in the chest. As the gunman reloaded, Hupp escaped through a broken window, thinking her
    mother was behind her.

But Hupp's mother had crawled alongside her dying husband of 47 years to cushion his head in her lap. Police later told Hupp they saw her mother look up at the gunman standing over her, then bow down before he shot her in the head.

"I'd like people to think about what happened to me, and try to place themselves in that situation," Hupp said yesterday between a string of interviews in which she relived the tragedy as Exhibit A in her argument against restrictive gun laws. "Now, instead of thinking of their parents, have it be their children.

"Even if you choose not to have a gun, as the bad guy who ignored all the laws is getting close to you and as he levels that firearm at one of your children, don't you hope the person next to you has chosen to carry a gun and knows how to use it?"

The story is powerful, and not only because the question assaults the brain and invites no easy answers. With its implied alternative of an armed Hupp gunning down the bad guy before he gets too far, the story invokes the American legend of the frontier lawman who acts alone to thwart evil.

Unable to don that mantle when it could have saved her parents, Hupp, now 40, has been trying ever since to rally people against gun control.

When Texas debated the issue of concealed weapons in 1995, she strolled around the table at a committee hearing molding her fingers into a gun that she aimed at state senators. The next year, she ran as a Republican and won election as a state representative, an office she still holds.

She has promoted other issues, such as water rights. But her personal story trumps all other issues. For years, the National Rifle Association paid her expenses as she traveled the country testifying in favor of gun rights. Her story always commands attention. Before the massacre at Luby's cafeteria, nothing in Hupp's background suggested that she would become so closely associated with gun rights.

She was raised in central Texas, the middle of three children. Her father, Al, owned a heavy equipment store. Her mother, Ursula, was a homemaker.

Al Gratia was a man so gentle he didn't hunt and even quit fishing because he didn't want to hurt the fish. But he owned a BB gun, and taught his children how to shoot and practice gun safety. After Hupp's brother shot and killed a dove, however, no one in the family ever used the gun again.

As a child, Hupp was a victim of careless gun use. When she was 11, she was fishing with her brother and some friends when one of the youths handed a pellet gun to another youth and it went off. Hupp has a two-inch-long scar near her right elbow where the pellet entered her skin and had to be dug out.

After getting a degree as a chiropractor in 1985, she moved to Houston. An assistant district attorney who was a patient suggested she carry a gun as self-defense in the big city.

She argued against it, partly because it was then illegal to carry a concealed weapon in Texas.

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by six," she recalls her patient advising her. Another friend gave her a pistol as a gift and taught her how to shoot it.

She carried it in her purse. But, afraid of losing her chiropractic license if she were arrested for carrying a concealed weapon, she often kept it beneath the passenger seat of her car.

That's where it was, 150 feet from Hupp's grasp, the day George Hennard burst into Luby's. The what-ifs haunt her. Hennard stood barely 10 feet from her. He was up, she was down. She had clear aim. The upturned table would have steadied her hand. Though not a crack shot, she had hit smaller targets from farther distances.

"The point is, people like this--no, scumbags like this; I won't put them in the people category--are looking for easy targets," said Hupp. "That's why we see things occurring at schools, post offices, churches and cafeterias in states that don't allow concealed carrying."

Nothing sways her. After the 1999 shooting at Columbine High School, Hupp seemed to suggest that teachers should carry concealed weapons. She insists that what she said was something different:

"I wanted to know why the state treats teachers like second-class citizens, when plumbers and doctors are allowed to protect themselves on the job," she said. "I would be happier sending my child to a school where a teacher whom I trust is armed and well prepared."

She is equally oblique when talking about places where guns are banned. Even in Texas, which began allowing concealed weapons in 1996, guns are banned from several types of establishments, including churches, sports arenas, government offices, courts, airports and restaurants serving alcohol. Hupp refuses to say outright that she believes people should be allowed to carry guns to church. She picks her words carefully.

"We have created a shopping list for madmen," she said. "If guns are the problem, why don't we see things occurring at skeet and trap shoots, at gun shows, at NRA conventions? We only see it where guns aren't allowed. The sign of a gun with a slash through it is like a neon sign for gunmen, 'We're unarmed. Come kill us.' "

To Hupp, the right to bear arms is a family issue. Her two sons will grow up learning to defend themselves with a gun. The elder son, 4, has been taught gun safety and has fired his first shot.

"A gun can be used to kill a family, or defend a family," Hupp said. "I've lived what gun laws do. My parents died because of what gun laws do. I'm the quintessential soccer mom, and I want the right to protect my family. What happened to my parents will never happen again with my kids there."
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

It may have been posted here before, but I am not sure. I have seen the video of her on youtube before. I can't access youtube at work, but when I get home I will look if noone has found it for you before then.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

If you are talking about the incident that I think you are…

Luby’s in Killeen, TX
    Oct. 16, 1991
    Suzanna Hupp

You can Google Suzanna and find all sorts of information including a video of her appearance in front of the Texas legislature when she was pushing for the change in laws.

Here are a couple of YouTube links:

Senate testimony (poor video, but audio is ok until it cuts out toward the end):
    YouTube - The Suzanna Hupp testimony

Interview after the VT massacre:
    YouTube - Dr Suzanna Hupp on Virginia Tech
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Administrator
    That was it. - Thank You to all above. Very Much Appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Thanks guys. About once a year someone will some how in my life bring up that incident and reopen up the memories. I've seen crap world wide and that is one that still gets to me, a memory I'd as soon forever forget.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Everytime I go in a luby's Restaurant I think about that
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I hear ya about stirring up unpleasant memories. We were stationed at Ft. Hood and ate at that very Luby's all the time. My family and I ate there for lunch less than a week before the shooting occurred. Talk about hitting close to home.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

VIP Member
    my CHL/SD instructor was a criminologist on duty when that happened
    in our classes we got to watch his video of the crime scene (he was called to help process/document it) and the video was horrible
    any anti-SD/anti-CCW people should get to see this video
    my instructor told us step-by-step what that piece of garbage did, walking around the place shooting people in the head at point blank range as the were cowering under tables, etc
    anyone with a pistol could have stopped him
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Here are a couple of YouTube links:

Senate testimony (poor video, but audio is ok until it cuts out toward the end):
    YouTube - The Suzanna Hupp testimony

Interview after the VT massacre:
    YouTube - Dr Suzanna Hupp on Virginia Tech
    Sen Schumer was very disrespectful in his body language towards Dr Hupp when she was speaking.

As a side note, our Police Chief was in the shootout (when he was Sgt in Killeen PD). He was doing a plain clothes assignment & was getting shot at by his own guys until he took cover & held up his badge.

Administrator
    You folks aced it.
    I had somebody in Great Britain that I wanted to send a printed copy of her story to.

I don't think anyone in Texas or for that matter the US will ever forget that day. It very well could be the moment CC turned the corner and became a reality. Let us never forget the price that was paid.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I remember that day well; My Grandad and I were driving through Killeen that day on our way back from Odessa, where he had purchased some equipment for one of his drilling rigs. We heard all about it on WOAI radio and stopped by the scene to say a prayer for the victims.

Several years later I met Suzanna Hupp, who by then was representative Hupp, and I offered my condolences; she was very gracious with her time, and many of us in Texas credit her and Jerry Patterson as the major forces behind the drive for concealed carry here in the state of Texas. The only thing that held them up was the old bar hag, Ann Richards. We promptly voted her into the unemployment line the next year.

If she ever decides to run for national office, I would vote for her in a heartbeat.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links