How to get more Americans CC'ing

This is a discussion on How to get more Americans CC'ing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great post Copper! I definitely agree with your point of view....i got talking with my bus driver on the Sound Transit Seattle-Tacoma route last night ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to get more Americans CC'ing

Great post Copper! I definitely agree with your point of view....i got talking with my bus driver on the Sound Transit Seattle-Tacoma route last night and discovered that he has a CHL! Great way to meet people and get the word out!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

2. Remove Ads

My first experience with the non-gun culture was when I arrived at college (leaving my hometown rural area for the first time) with an NRA hat on and was treated like I was a crazy person. I went camping with some of my new college friends on one of the first fall weekends and we encountered some hunters. I stopped and chatted with them about the hunting in the area and wished them good luck. When I caught up to my new friends on the trail they were all freaked out they were going to get shot, that it was crazy to talk to a person with a gun, they were killing bambi, etc.

It's funny now, how clueless I was that everyone didn't understand guns and know where meat came from. And the way I would try to convert people to my thinking.

I have come to the conclusion over the years since then that there are some people who know and understand tools and have a self reliant mindset, and there are others who simply can not relate because they have no experience with those things. Guns are a hard place to start with those people. Better to start with something simple like keeping a fire extinguisher in the house, jumper cables and a snow shovel in the car, or teach them how to use a socket set to actually fix something. I think more Americans will start CC'ing when more Americans start developing responsibility (read response ability) for themselves and their lives.

I do not hide that I am a hunter or a shooter, or that I think people should have the ability to defend themselves, and that I will if I have to. But I don't talk about carrying a gun.

Administrator
    Wait until you're at work some day when some wacko disgruntled terminated employee walks in the door and starts yelling and ranting - then all of your co-workers point right at you and tell the guy:
    "Hey...you had better get out of here...he carries a gun!"

That blows your concealment but, the guy leaves and then when the guy decides that he is coming back later on to do a Murder/Suicide - he surprise kicks in the door and takes you out first with his shotgun.

I'll keep my personal carry business to myself.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    It's advertised in the newspaper here every week. People know.
    You can shout it from the rooftop, but personally I know it would ruin my business and besides, I just don't want to hear the Liberal garb.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    It's advertised in the newspaper here every week. People know.
    You can shout it from the rooftop, but personally I know it would ruin my business and besides, I just don't want to hear the Liberal garb.
    So let me get this straight...they publish who has a CCW permit in the NEWSPAPER!?!?!?! Um is that not a privacy violation in your state? I know i lived in SD and one newspaper did that. They had to publicly apologize to all the permit holders.....

One of the reasons I open carry periodically.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    So let me get this straight...they publish who has a CCW permit in the NEWSPAPER!?!?!?! Um is that not a privacy violation in your state? I know i lived in SD and one newspaper did that. They had to publicly apologize to all the permit holders.....
    No they dont put a list of who has a permit. He said maybe people don't know permits available. They advertise where to get your permit in an ad for the gunshop here. People are aware they can get their carry permit.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starshooter231 View Post
    I don't think that CCing is a "dirty little secret". I'm not ashamed that I carry a firearm. I would trade it in for a pocket sized cop in a heart beat.

This little fella might make a good companion, not exactly pocket sized, but he'll fit in a back pack LOL!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Most people that visit our house learn the option of conceal carry. They mostly find out because when you open carry at home - and someone doesn't expect it - the topic of conversation naturally turns to carrying in public.

Never had a negative reaction - I guess I just know how to pick my friends.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Doobie in #21 above scored the direct hit on this topic.

If one is dedicated to concealment, for whatever reasons, there is by definition no way for him or her to champion the concealed-carry cause with others. We are open with each other and with any outsiders here in cyberspace or at IDPA or IPSC venues, but we are a secret society everywhere else, therefore very few outside our in-crowd are ever going to be aware of us.

Of course open carry is not a topic of discussion on this board, and illegal in several states for nonLEOs, but it's the only way to promulgate carrying firearms for self defense among those not already inside the group. Unless you wear one of these:
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/dapoling/SCYj9L...jpg?imgmax=512
    Last edited by Anubis; June 11th, 2008 at 10:52 AM.

A few of my close friends know, and one of them is very interested in jumping back into shooting, and then starting to carry. We just can't nail down a range time between the two of us. There is also a friend of hers, that apparently regularly carries and wants to join us. Hey, the more the merrier! The more of us, the less of

I don't advertise that I carry, but if someone asks what are my hobbies, or something along the lines, I don't hesitate to say that I love to trap shoot (although I'm terrible at it) and shoot pistol as well. If they are anti, they just do their anti thing, and if they are interested, they ask more questions. Rarely will I go into a cc discussion unless I am directly asked. Never have I shown my firearm to anyone, even my friend who is interested in carrying. (our conversations have always taken place at school!)

It's kinda neat though, because I don't look like I'd be toting around a gun. Even if I'm printing, most people wouldn't suspect it was a gun. It's good to pull the "chic" card.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    While I don't go around shouting that I CC all my friends know. If they don't like it they can either deal with it or find themselves a new friend. I like running around with other sheepdogs and not sheep. Now since I teach it you must advertise and talk about it constantly. Catch 22 I guess.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Family, friends and neighbors all know that I carry. Some neighbors get geeked out, but I simply don't care. It's my right, and I exercise it with care and responsibility.

The Country seems to have a near terminal case of the stupids and I'm trying not to catch it.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I'm with Issac.
    I am not a child molester.
    I am not a druggie
    I am not a homosexual

I will not be in the closet about CCWing. Do I announce to the world I carry? no.
    Do I hide it if asked? No

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I keep a gun vault next close to my garage door. I have opened it taken out my gun and carried virtually everytime I've gone out with my wife and family for the last 2 years. Last night my wife saw me go to the closet and start fiddling. She asked if I was setting the alarm. I told her no I was getting my gun. She was totally taken aback. She said, you can't carry that around can you? I told her that's what a concealed handgun permit is for.

She was quiet for a while and said she thought it was weird. I told her I have been doing it for several years everytime we go out. She said "I guess I never knew that."

My concealment system is working I guess.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links