How to get more Americans CC'ing

This is a discussion on How to get more Americans CC'ing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How to get more Americans to carry concealed? That is a tough question. As much as we would like to see more people packing heat, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to get more Americans CC'ing

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    How to get more Americans to carry concealed? That is a tough question.

As much as we would like to see more people packing heat, it is not for everyone.I know there are almost no people on this board that think they're above the law with a CCW permit, or go looking for trouble. I am certain there are plenty of those who think that carrying a gun means they can go into dangerous places and hope to shoot someone and claim self defense.

I do believe that everyone has the right to self defense, and should be able to carry a gun, but some just don't have their head on straight.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Have to pick and choose your "battles"

Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    Having been in a similar situation, I personally find that most of the anti cc-ing people where I live have just never been exposed to handguns.
    That has been my experience exactly. Thier not really anti's, they just have zero exposure and just have an anti's 'reaction' to the 'new' knowledge of your carrying. With a positive, knowledgable, and 'sheltering' response they may come down "from the fence" on this side of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    I've taken a different stance from most for a long time. I openly discuss with people (that I know, not strangers) about owning and carrying a gun. I can't carry in my workplace (by policy, not by law), so no one there gets to see it or asks to see it.
    My situation is that, as an Active Duty Military member, my co-workers (and thier family and friends) are very pro-carry.....or at the very worst neutral twords the issue as a whole. Although not 'openly' discussed, it's not hidden by any means. I grew up in a rural enviroment....guns were a part of everyday life. However, carrying a handgun for protection wasn't ever considered, although there was always at least two loaded 12 gauges in my house growing up. My parents know I carry but always questioned my reasoning in keeping a sidearm. My mother does not like it. Hurricane Katrina 'altered' thier thinking on self-protection, and carrying, a little bit.
    I will discuss guns, carrying, shooting, whatever with almost anyone who shows intrest in talking with me about it. Certainly not with any stranger, but those that I have had some expousre to and have some insight into thier mindset. I'm not gonna "spew forth" pro-2A quotes, negitive-outcome news stories, or rant on like some "gun nuts" like to do (we all have seen at least one of those critters) .... I'll just answer any questions or partake in any discussion in a plesent, friendly, and informative (if not being just shy of professional)
    manner.

Anubis said, " If one is dedicated to concealment, for whatever reasons, there is by definition no way for him or her to champion the concealed-carry cause with others. We are open with each other and with any outsiders here in cyberspace or at IDPA or IPSC venues, but we are a secret society everywhere else, therefore very few outside our in-crowd are ever going to be aware of us."

That is a very true statement. The "anti's" hate guns and those of us who carry because.........they fear what 'they' don't know and/or can't control. That fear is based in emotion and no rational thinking will override this stance 'they' have chosen to take. And if 'they' can't control what 'they' fear, then 'they'll' fight it and all who champion it.
    In retrospect, we fear 'thier' reaction and the subsuquent 'lashing' we'd recieve, be it verbal, legal, or whatever........
    When I choose to 'open' myself by admitting to carrying, it's only after some careful deliberation on my part. I'm lucky my enviroment is open, if not outright friendly, about guns in general. I can't change anyone's mind once made up, but I'll "show 'n tell" in a compassionate, caring, attentive manner if for no other reason than to show them calm knowledge is better than the arguement of fear and abonishment.

When I carry concealed it's my business and nobody else's, except those in my (our) circles. To get more people in these 'circles', or at the very least accepting of 'our' choices, 'we' have be careful not only who we talk to, but how we talk.

Lets be safe and careful out there ya'll.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; June 11th, 2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    One way is to not alienate those who disagree with you on certain points re:hunting...

There are many people who could be convinced that concealed carry for defensive purposes is a good idea. The problem is, those who could decide instead to make enemies of these people. The truth is that many people have not had the privledge of going to the range and just shooting at targets for "fun." That's how I was exposed to firearms. I am against hunting, but find that most "gun people" would prefer to alienate me for my beliefs rather than befriend me as a fellow proponent of the second amendment and a ccw holder.

The focus should be on carry for defensive purposes, and not at all on sporting purposes. Make friends of as many people as you can, and gently shower them with solid proof and concept of why CCW is a good thing for everyone.

Don't discriminate against those that disagree with you in other areas.

Personally in all honesty I would rather I be the only one on the planet to carry. Since that is not possible. I cannot imagine having a friend unable or unwilling to stand up for himself. So most anyone I ride or associate with carries most long before I ever met them. Those that do not are not what I call friends. I feel no need to convert anyone. Heart is not something you can grow or develop you either have it or you don't. If you do, you do not need me to convert you. If you don't why would I waste my time? That said I generally tell no one I carry but if the topic comes up I am openly pro gun with out outing myself. I try to express my thoughts in a way most palatable to those I am talking to at least encourage an acceptance of those that do carry, if not convince my audience to carry themselves
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

its not dirty

Very few know and its on a need to know basis. I don't believe in giving up the advantage of being concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatteras View Post
    I keep a gun vault next close to my garage door. I have opened it taken out my gun and carried virtually everytime I've gone out with my wife and family for the last 2 years. Last night my wife saw me go to the closet and start fiddling. She asked if I was setting the alarm. I told her no I was getting my gun. She was totally taken aback. She said, you can't carry that around can you? I told her that's what a concealed handgun permit is for.

She was quiet for a while and said she thought it was weird. I told her I have been doing it for several years everytime we go out. She said "I guess I never knew that."

My concealment system is working I guess.
    I do not understand how someone could POSSIBLY hide something like that from their spouse. I don't understand how 1) the spouse doesn't notice when disrobing... or 2) why one would feel the need to hide something like this from their spouse.

Maybe it's just me, but my wife - while she doesn't necessarily enjoy shooting - knows how to shoot and understands why I carry.

I'm an instructor so pretty much anyone who checks knows I carry. I goes with the territory and I have never had a problem as a result. I also wear an NRA cap pretty much everywhere I go. The only comments I have ever gotten were favorable. If possible I use it as an opportunity to convert someone. Sometimes I get lucky and that happens.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Conceal carry it exactly that; conceal carry.

One of the biggest advantages you have in carrying a pistol is the element of surprise. Tell everyone in the world that youíre armed, and ďbamĒ you lost it. Even in states that allow open carry, why would you because youíre giving up that little surprise.

The only exception would be in a hunting, or camping situation where your miles from the nearest road, and anyone approaching unknown to you is a possible threat.

Second advantage is sheep have a tendency to be leery of anyone out of uniform that is armed. Why I donít know, but they are.

So if you let them know youíre armed, then every sheep at work, and your neighborhood, is going to have second thoughts of working or even talking with you.

Third reason is plausible deniability.

Say you have a few heated words with someone. Nothing big deal, just someone at work was working on your last straw and you let them have it. "Letís face it, this has happen to all of us."

If he knew you where armed, there is a possibility, he could charge you with assault with a deadly weapon. Granted you did not pull your gun, but just by the fact of him knowing youíre armed, your headed exchange of words could be viewed as an assault.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    I'm with Issac.
    I am not a child molester.
    I am not a druggie
    I am not a homosexual

I will not be in the closet about CCWing. Do I announce to the world I carry? no.
    Do I hide it if asked? No

AFS
    To me, it depends who asks me...
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

First of all: Not everybody should be carrying. If you are not ready to use your gun, you should not be carrying. You don't want people to carry just to hand the gun to the mugger if the SHTF.

I was on the side for a long time on carrying. I am carrying out of necessity, not because I like to carry. I carried a taser/pepper spray for a while first, and still do. For most people, I would think that non-lethal weapons are a good start.

Another thing that has to change to get more people to carry is the image of gun owners. In my opinion, and I may be a small minority on this board, organizations like the NRA are doing a huge disservice to gun owners by not engaging into a meaningful dialog. Poses like Hestons' "from my cold hands" are one reason that many people see gun owners as weirdos. It took me meeting some gun owners (neighbors) to convince me otherwise.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    I do not understand how someone could POSSIBLY hide something like that from their spouse. I don't understand how 1) the spouse doesn't notice when disrobing... or 2) why one would feel the need to hide something like this from their spouse.

Maybe it's just me, but my wife - while she doesn't necessarily enjoy shooting - knows how to shoot and understands why I carry.
    Well, my wife and I have for a little game we play.

If she can tell Iím armed, she will say something along the lines of; ďDo you need to bring such a big gunĒ, or ďcanít you carry a smaller gun that is less visibleĒ?

Donít get me wrong, she loves the fact that I carry a gun. And most of the time, she never notices. She just presumes that if I leave the house Iím armed.

Just to get it to a point were it's a normal thing and the sheep don't give it a second thought would be nice. But if small minority are the only one aware of it is legal to Carry a Firearm, then I guess it would not get mainstream.

I'd like for it to get something like *shrug* he has a gun, must be one of the good guys,

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    First of all: Not everybody should be carrying. If you are not ready to use your gun, you should not be carrying. You don't want people to carry just to hand the gun to the mugger if the SHTF.

I was on the side for a long time on carrying. I am carrying out of necessity, not because I like to carry. I carried a taser/pepper spray for a while first, and still do. For most people, I would think that non-lethal weapons are a good start.

Another thing that has to change to get more people to carry is the image of gun owners. In my opinion, and I may be a small minority on this board, organizations like the NRA are doing a huge disservice to gun owners by not engaging into a meaningful dialog. Poses like Hestons' "from my cold hands" are one reason that many people see gun owners as weirdos. It took me meeting some gun owners (neighbors) to convince me otherwise.
    Good way to start a flame war but I think you are onto something there. Many people do see gun owners as wacko's and if you go to some gun boards and read the comments they may be correct. When someone gets on national TV and asks during a presidential debate "What are you going to do to protect my baby here?" it doesn't help that view at all.

I think that the NRA has done a lot to help with the public's view of gun owners when compared to many other organizations. The all or nothing attitude of certain groups can backfire. One thing I really like about this board is that the posters seem to be more laid back and less confrontational than some others. One board in particular it seems that every other post is a cop bashing thread and how can I show off my gun to the public to be sure I get into a confrontation with someone, hopefully a LEO.

I think if we could get more non gun owners just to read this board and see that gun owners aren't all white redneck males it would help. However when a business owner asks you to not carry in his store and you tell him to get lost that it isn't against the law and a few other choice words it really doesn't help the cause of gun owners everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Good way to start a flame war but I think you are onto something there. Many people do see gun owners as wacko's and if you go to some gun boards and read the comments they may be correct.
    And thank you for a good response. No intentions to start a flame war. Just telling y'all how I felt. I didn't grow up with guns like many here. If you try to convince more people to carry, you have to convince people like me (a couple years ago) ;-)

If find overall that this board is a good place to kick around ideas like that without ending up in a flame war.

FWIW: The main reason I carry is that I figured out that "the law" will not protect me. If it takes them in an urban area > 30 min to respond to a burglar at night... I better be ready to defend myself.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

How to get more Americans to carry concealed?

I'm afraid this topic will be moot after the next election. When the senator from Chicago (one of the safest cities in the world, right?) gets elected, we'll be lucky to be able to own airsoft's if even that.

When folks vote for "change", I'm afraid that's exactly what we're going to get.

Cloudpeak

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links