How to get more Americans CC'ing - Page 4

How to get more Americans CC'ing

This is a discussion on How to get more Americans CC'ing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm happy CCing is like an underground culture. Even if their are many law abiding citizens who are qualified to do so, in my opinion ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to get more Americans CC'ing

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I'm happy CCing is like an underground culture. Even if their are many law abiding citizens who are qualified to do so, in my opinion everyone cant shoot worth a crap. I'm not trying to sound like Im some master marksman but from what I've seen at the range I would like it to be just guys like us carrying; it makes me feel a bit safer.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

The "stigma" probably has to do with the fact that this is concealed carry. People don't see it, so they assume you're unarmed. They'll only hear the stories of BGs doing bad stuff with guns.
    I believe to get people to ease up, more open carry would help. Then people could see non-LEOs or BGs living their lives like everyone else.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Heart is not something you can grow or develop you either have it or you don't. If you do, you do not need me to convert you. If you don't why would I waste my time?
    I would respectfully disagree with this.

I am 52, and have had "heart" all my life. But I grew up without guns, and was somewhat sheltered. I never saw the need for them, and there was no one around to show me the need. My "heart" issues and strength went in other directions.

When I divorced, and moved into a not-very-good neighborhood, the need became apparent, and I am taking care of it.

The right words (and attitude) from the right type of person would have shown me what I know now, and turned me pro-gun instead of gun-neutral, a long time ago.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    First of all: Not everybody should be carrying. If you are not ready to use your gun, you should not be carrying. You don't want people to carry just to hand the gun to the mugger if the SHTF.

I was on the side for a long time on carrying. I am carrying out of necessity, not because I like to carry. I carried a taser/pepper spray for a while first, and still do. For most people, I would think that non-lethal weapons are a good start.

Another thing that has to change to get more people to carry is the image of gun owners. In my opinion, and I may be a small minority on this board, organizations like the NRA are doing a huge disservice to gun owners by not engaging into a meaningful dialog. Poses like Hestons' "from my cold hands" are one reason that many people see gun owners as weirdos. It took me meeting some gun owners (neighbors) to convince me otherwise.
    Just wanted to say I agree with all 3 of your points.
    +10.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    If one is dedicated to concealment, for whatever reasons, there is by definition no way for him or her to champion the concealed-carry cause with others. We are open with each other and with any outsiders here in cyberspace or at IDPA or IPSC venues, but we are a secret society everywhere else, therefore very few outside our in-crowd are ever going to be aware of us.
    And this, I believe, is one of the greatest strengths of concealment. The BGs don't really have a clue who is dangerous and who isn't which keeps the safer. It also keeps the carrier safer since we don't become targets. A win/win situation.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    I would respectfully disagree with this.

I am 52, and have had "heart" all my life. But I grew up without guns, and was somewhat sheltered. I never saw the need for them, and there was no one around to show me the need. My "heart" issues and strength went in other directions.

When I divorced, and moved into a not-very-good neighborhood, the need became apparent, and I am taking care of it.

The right words (and attitude) from the right type of person would have shown me what I know now, and turned me pro-gun instead of gun-neutral, a long time ago.

YMMV.

Just wanted to say I agree with all 3 of your points.
    +10.
    It sounds like we do agree. No one could have forced you to change your mind, when you were ready you heard what you needed to. I have no doubt people had said it all to you before. No one gave you the heart or courage to decide to stand on your own two feet, when you saw the need you did. Like you probably always had. As long as you lived in a world where you did not see the need to carry you did not hear that you need to be armed. I do not think I or anyone could have made you to change your mind any sooner. You did that all by yourself
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Hmmm. This needs some thought.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    It sounds like we do agree. No one could have forced you to change your mind, when you were ready you heard what you needed to. I have no doubt people had said it all to you before.
    Actually, I don't think they did. To be more accurate, I always heard the generalized parental comments: "be careful", "stay away from bad places", "don't hang around with people who could get you into trouble."

But no one in my extended family (that I know of) had guns, until my brother came back from Vietnam. And for a long time he was against having a gun in the home, saying something very rude and racist to my mother when she got a shotgun (from somewhere...???)

But even then, she never talked to me about it. No one ever brought up HOW, WHEN, WHY, I should protect myself. It just didn't come up.

No one gave you the heart or courage to decide to stand on your own two feet,
    No, I was born with it. It just went in different directions.

when you saw the need you did. Like you probably always had. As long as you lived in a world where you did not see the need to carry you did not hear that you need to be armed.
    But no one told me I should be armed. Even now, I have no idea what the weapons laws were back then (70s, 80s). It was only "stay away", "be safe", "don't go there."

I do not think I or anyone could have made you to change your mind any sooner. You did that all by yourself
    Yeah, I did, but if someone had sat me down and said "here's how you can protect yourself. I'll show you how to handle guns safely", I might very well have changed my mind.

Believe me, I did not grow up around people who talked guns, and armed safety, and I just "ignored" them.

It was a non-topic.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

I would also disagree with longrider. I think many of us have proven that talking to our loved-ones and introducing them to shooting sports has changed a lot of minds.

Yesterday, my wife told me she wanted to get her CHL!!!! From 1 year ago when she had never held a firearm to now when she wakes me up early on Saturday so we can go to the range. And now, she actually wants to carry a firearm to protect herself.

You can definitely change people's minds and bring them into the 'club', but they need to trust you, and you need to trust them.

With every person you add to the list who know you carry, you increase exponentially the chances of somebody finding out that you don't want to know.

Like I had said earlier, just be careful who you allow into your circle of trust. Once they are in, you can't just ask them to leave.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I just posted on the "Curious why all the hush-hush about CCW?" thread, didn't notice this thread. The Brady Bunch against Self-Defense run ads and hand out flyers about our Self Defense laws. “Shoot First Laws” as they call them. Their intent is not to help Florida, but the message they are getting out by accident is “Be Polite, You never know who is armed.” Or “There is no right to Road Rage, You never know who is armed.” Concealed Carry laws work best when advertized publically to make sure the BG’s know that the population may be armed. I have helped two women and one guy at work get their Florida CWL in the 6 months I have been back in FL. There are a few more mostly women that are interested in obtaining theirs. The best way to defend your neighbor is to help them defend themselves. In the end if your neighbors and you are armed the BG’s wont want anything to do with your neighborhood, and life is better.

Thank you Brady Bunch.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

How to get more Americans to CC?
    We ned a Celebrity to move to a CC freindly state and Admit to being a CC. Or better yet , move to an open carry state. Then it will become fashionable and people woud want to carry.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texvet View Post
    How to get more Americans to CC?
    We ned a Celebrity to move to a CC freindly state and Admit to being a CC. Or better yet , move to an open carry state. Then it will become fashionable and people woud want to carry.
    Paris Hilton?

Britney's been to mental health treatment so she couldn't qualify.

How to get more Americans CC'ing

Thousands of murderers, rapists, muggers, home invaders, robbers, drug dealers, gang members, and general purpose nut jobs are doing their best to point out that concealed carry is the smartest idea since sliced bread.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Paris Hilton?

Britney's been to mental health treatment so she couldn't qualify.
    Now that is a truly scary thought!

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton View Post
    It seems to be everyone's "dirty little secret" that they conceal carry.

How is it ever going to become main stream if none of the know how many folks actually carry.

CCW will never become mainstream... don't delude yourself.

Sure you can win converts, and educate people, but unless planes start flying into buildings on a weekly basis, or suicide bombers start hitting every state of the union, it will never become mainstream.

Last I checked the statistics, CCW holders make-up less than 3 percent of any states population.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Thousands of murderers, rapists, muggers, home invaders, robbers, drug dealers, gang members, and general purpose nut jobs are doing their best to point out that concealed carry is the smartest idea since sliced bread.
    Huh? Am I missing something? As far as I know Sara Brady supports every rapist murdered robber gang banger goal of seeing no civilian carry concealed or open.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I don't really treat it as a secret. Most of my friends know and all of my and my wife's family know we both carry.

I have had no bad experiences because of it. But, I also do not associate with immature morons who like to party and drink heavily. I don't go to bars or other places where immature morons drink heavily. And, most of my friends carry as well.

So, for me, I would agree with the premise that not treating it as a dirty little secret would be a good step towards getting more Americans to carry.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links