How to get more Americans CC'ing - Page 5

How to get more Americans CC'ing

This is a discussion on How to get more Americans CC'ing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by IsaacNewton How is it ever going to become main stream if none of the know how many folks actually carry. Irrationality combined ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton View Post
    How is it ever going to become main stream if none of the know how many folks actually carry.
    Irrationality combined with knee-jerk lashing out is what ends badly. Divulging one's tools, alone, isn't likely to change things.

I think we're on the right path, though. Changing social acceptance has meant a boom in the carrying of firearms. I think the rap on the skull by crime has struck home, to many.

Me, I typically start with the little truths, such as: you can't use what you don't have with you; 911 = dial-a-prayer, in terms of the likelihood of actually stopping crime; police don't actually have a legal duty to protect any specific person, called-in or not; noting the changing crime rates and how close crimes actually are, in the area.

I'd think having discussions with Family and Friends would get the word out ...
    Yes, it would. Many have done so in the past few years, with bad results. Me, as well. With a close relative, I've now got a cooler relationship than previously, and another is positively distant, now. Neither actually thinks deeply about the irrationality of their tightly-held beliefs, in this regard. Criminals don't follow the pattern they've been brainwashed to expect, and they simply won't appreciate the truth of that. But then, neither has seen what I've seen, thankfully. (Two-edged sword, that.)

I do let folks know that it is legal for them to protect themselves and guns are not evil and may save their bacon someday.
    I do the same thing, where I feel it has a reasonable chance of taking. Though, that estimation comes after some discussion time. Can't know that very early on, generally.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I believe like some that image is part of the answer. The stereotype needs to be controlled. Recently on the FX channel they did the "30 Days" deal with a fervent anti and a gun loving family living together. On a whole the show presented both sides fairly. However certain aspects traded on stereotypes.

The anti a single women who had a friend shot surely puts her at the highest level of anti with some valid reason. She actually cried the first time she shot a gun. I believe a more valid opponent would have been a regular everyday working person with no glaring reason to hate guns. You also have to think when she indicates she hates killing machines, guns, especially since she lives in such a dangerous area with multiple killings weekly. I would expect someone who lives in that type of area to be very pro self defense.

The pro gun family was a very well spoken man and his teenage son. They were articulate and well spoken. They did however seem overly pro gun to the uninformed considering they could have been mainstream which would, in my opinion been more effective. They lived in a somewhat isolated home , were always doing something gun related and wore gun related tees and hats all the time. While nothing wrong with this if we expect to convince mainstream folks that CC is not horrible they need to see everyday people as posed on TV like the local grocer who carries all the time, shoots at the range, and possibly some competition.

Generic versions of "regular people" both for and against. Most antis actually have no personal valid reason to hate guns and for most of the pro carry shooters I know it is a regular part of their life not an obession.

Before all that mainstream media especially in the Northeast needs BIG change. Report the news do not make it.

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton View Post
    It seems to be everyone's "dirty little secret" that they conceal carry.

How is it ever going to become main stream if none of the know how many folks actually carry.

I'd think having discussions with Family and Friends would get the word out on just how many people are out there with permits.

And some may even be surprised that they could actually obtain one themselves.

Thoughts.

Just really seems like it's an underground thing and is hush hush.

I do not mean yelling out hey I carry but I do let folks know that it is legal for them to protect themselves and guns are not evil and may save their bacon someday.

Just rambling I guess.
    It doesn't do me any good to "not talk" about it. For some reason, pretty much everyone I know or meet assumes I carry, whether or not they know, and thus (fortunately!) think nothing of it. Just a part of me. Not just people that know me well, either. I really don't know why; I don't advertise the fact, but neither do I deny it. So, I just treat it as an "Of course I do - you mean you don't?" issue. Kind-a like wearing socks or underwear, it's really no-one else's business (nor should it be) unless initiating intimacy , but it's still assumed. Somehow, maybe through this nonchalant attitude, I seem to have influenced some of the people around me (some that never owned or shot a firearm before) to acquire CHLs . I don't take total credit for this, but on the other hand, if I were totally secretive they would not likely have persued their own permits, or known how/where to start.

Just rambling I guess.
    Me, too. . . .

Stay Safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links